Author Topic: DAC Favorites  (Read 18254 times)

Offline rpf

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: DAC Favorites
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2012, 10:43:19 AM »
In my modded EE Minimax DAC (original), I like the '65 Radiotechnique best, although a Mullard long-plate sounds great as well.

RCA & Raytheon black-plates sound good also but don't mesh as well with the rest of my system.

I don't have a Brimar but I do have a Tele. Maybe I'll give it a try.
Mac Mini>Singxer SU-1>Lampizator Amber II>Rogue Cronus Magnum>Aural Acoustics Model B.
TWL PCs; Audio Envy ICs & SCs; Purist Digital IC; PI Audio USB Cable and Buss-Stop.
Sonos Connect, iFi SPDIF iPurifier, Schiit Modi Multibit, Audioengine 5+

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2012, 08:24:27 AM »
The Radiotechnique is indeed a fine tube.  I am on my 2nd set of these in my Belles 21a preamp... If anyone finds a treasure trove of these, let me know.
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2012, 08:41:07 AM »
etcarroll,
 You need to let me throw some Dexa discrete's in there. You really haven't heard it until those are in installed :thumb:

I will second that. We used the EE DAC with the Dexa discretes at the DC Audiofest feeding our system.
   BTW your welcome Bill. We are not dealers of EE.
charles

Yeah, you failed to mention it was my personal EE DAC+ with Dexas we were using... Btw, it was the power cord attached that made all the difference in the world  :lol:

Cheers,
Pete

I've got to chime in here, Between what I own and various tour DACs that were floating around LI earlier this year I think I have had pretty much every version of the EE DAC and DAC Plus in my system and I have to say that there was not one of them that did not get a huge performance benefit from using one of Pete's cords. So this is not a case of Pete just tweaking us tongue in cheek a little about his cords. These cords are the real deal when it comes to the EE DACs. You will never know what your EE DAC is capable of until you've heard it with one of the TWL cords.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2012, 08:48:17 AM »
  Most do not know Pete personally. He is a always teasing and just having fun.
   Tom since you are familiar with the EE DAC do tell us more with relationship to the differences heard.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2012, 12:50:28 PM »
etcarroll,
 You need to let me throw some Dexa discrete's in there. You really haven't heard it until those are in installed :thumb:

OK so you will have to bring over one of his cords again so we can A-B  :-k

I will second that. We used the EE DAC with the Dexa discretes at the DC Audiofest feeding our system.
   BTW your welcome Bill. We are not dealers of EE.
charles

Yeah, you failed to mention it was my personal EE DAC+ with Dexas we were using... Btw, it was the power cord attached that made all the difference in the world  :lol:

Cheers,
Pete

I've got to chime in here, Between what I own and various tour DACs that were floating around LI earlier this year I think I have had pretty much every version of the EE DAC and DAC Plus in my system and I have to say that there was not one of them that did not get a huge performance benefit from using one of Pete's cords. So this is not a case of Pete just tweaking us tongue in cheek a little about his cords. These cords are the real deal when it comes to the EE DACs. You will never know what your EE DAC is capable of until you've heard it with one of the TWL cords.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2012, 07:06:16 PM »
  Most do not know Pete personally. He is a always teasing and just having fun.
   Tom since you are familiar with the EE DAC do tell us more with relationship to the differences heard.

charles

The TWL cord on my original EE DAC made it sound very close to the DAC Plus and put the same type of improvement on the Plus as well. With the TWL cord installed the soundstage  was a bit wider and deeper, the space between the instruments was blacker and more apparent and the precision of the instrument location was that much more focused. Al in all the music just sounded more "real" and relaxed. Interestingly these are the same types of improvements I heard when putting TWL cords on my amps.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2012, 08:27:02 PM »
Tom -

Amen brother. I had Bill with me when I got Pete's 7 PC for my PS Audio Quintet that in turn delivers juice to all but my amp, we were both awe-struck by it.

Putting the 12 on the EE DAC just made it all the better.

The TWL cord on my original EE DAC made it sound very close to the DAC Plus and put the same type of improvement on the Plus as well. With the TWL cord installed the soundstage  was a bit wider and deeper, the space between the instruments was blacker and more apparent and the precision of the instrument location was that much more focused. Al in all the music just sounded more "real" and relaxed. Interestingly these are the same types of improvements I heard when putting TWL cords on my amps.

"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2012, 05:53:55 AM »
Not the PC silly the DACs. What was the son difference between the EE DAC with and without the dexa op amps.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2013, 08:00:01 AM »
  Guys check out the Resolution Audio Cantada Music Center DAC. Heard one recently and was impressed. Very impressed since the user did not optimize the computer yet. www.resolutionaudio.com

charles

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2013, 09:19:58 AM »
Not the PC silly the DACs. What was the son difference between the EE DAC with and without the dexa op amps.

charles

I can't say I've had them side by side, but I did hear both in my system. The stock EE DAC was nice, but didn't impress me overly much compared to my Ayre CX7eMP. But I had to send that back to the factory to replace the aging transport and borrowed Pete's maxxed out Dexa EE DAC.  I'm still not overly impressed with the (default) tube mode on it, but in SS mode it sounds wonderful. Switching back and forth between it and my returned Ayre I really have a hard time telling the difference. Great sound at a nice price compared to the competition.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline machinehead

• Affordable Web Design & Development
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2013, 12:12:05 PM »
Check out this one....

http://www.matrix-digi.com/en/products/49/index.html
Just came out... plays DSD, being reviewed soon over at head fi
Matrix X-Sabre
ESS Technology ES9018 SABRE Reference 32-bit DAC
8 mono to 2 stereo configuration, four D/A converters per channel
Price $1099 crazy..
Its cool ndude.

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2013, 04:21:28 PM »
Quote from: machinehead

crazy..

Yes, you are! ... in a good way of sorts, that is...  :rofl:  :thumb:
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline machinehead

• Affordable Web Design & Development
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2013, 06:07:55 PM »
Dude... My new website is getting me crazy business requests.... now to land some jobs.... maybe Ill quit my day job!
Its Innnnsaane! like Crazy eddie.
Its cool ndude.