Author Topic: Eastern Electric Minimax DAC  (Read 63894 times)

Offline Bunky

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Eastern Electric Minimax DAC
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2011, 04:05:54 PM »
I know Bill goes hiding in the corner with his teddy bear we we say it, but if you haven't heard the EE DAC with different op-amps, you haven't heard what it is capable of.

Not even close.

Those beautiful DIP-8 sockets just sitting there, waiting to be stuffed with cute little spider-lookin' chips...

Haven't listened to the tube stage for a while now  :shock:

-Mike

Doug Schroeder from Dagogo is doing a mega roll of what he calls the super op-amps that are now available. Keep your eyes open for that article. He currently has a couple suggestions already in his article but he says those that he already has written about pale in comparison to the new super op's he is currently auditioning.Keep your eyes open for that article to be released shortly.

this is the mod i am refering to and Doug Schroeder just updated this post yesterday on Dagogo to include some observations about the mods using the new custom op amps
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2011, 04:08:30 PM »
......this type of parts swap voids the factory warranty but it sounds pretty straight forward to me and i firmly believe that nothing ventured is nothing gained. this is supposed to be a killer mod for very little outlay  :thumb:

I know is goes against ever Nervosa bone in your body, but if I were you I would wait a month or so before you pop in the mod. If you ever look at the failure vs time curves for solid state divices you will see a spike at the low end of the life span which represents an infant mortality of sorts. Once you get past that it is usually smooth sailing for a long time. With this in mind I wouldn't do anything that would void the warranty until I got past the break-in period. Better safe than sorry.

Not that I think the mods are a bad idea (I recently heard the Bolder cabled modded version of this DAC and was very impressed with it), I personally am a bit on the chicken side and would be much more comfortable waiting until I knew that the starting platform was burned in and stable before I went to town on it.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 04:12:46 PM by tmazz »
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Bunky

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2011, 08:56:30 AM »
tmazz, i agree with your caveat and i will not jump in with both feet as soon as i get my MiniMax DAC.i intend to burn in the DAC in stock form,but i do want to get my hands on the custom op amps ASAP before they are sold out or the price goes up.
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2011, 04:09:03 PM »
......but i do want to get my hands on the custom op amps ASAP before they are sold out or the price goes up.

For sure, sound like a lot of fun.

Tom
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Wayne1

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2011, 06:54:00 PM »
The AC thread mentions that the stock opamp is Texas Instruments 5532, it is a good candidate for upgrading. The original Signetics 5532 was a great audio opamp, still available on Ebay now and then or from parts brokers. I don't know what the Clarity opamp is, but I would not be surprised if it is LM833, since they mentioned that it is from National, and that is an excellent sounding chip designed specifically for audio.

As I understand the Minimax design, there is a I/V converter immediately out of the DAC chip, which provides an extremely low impedance load to the chip, allowing it to run in current mode, which increases S/N significantly. Then the output of the I/V opamp goes to the output opamp for current buffering, then to output (or to the tube, if selected.) The buffalo designs are like this also. So the output opamp is always in the signal, as is the I/V converter.

There is a picture of the Minimax innards posted in an AC post about opamps. Iirc, there are 2 opamps near the DAC chip (I/V converters for balanced output,) but I don't remember whether there are two output opamps, or just one to sum the balanced signals to unbalanced. I guess it would be better to run two in mono even if half was unused. Then the tube runs single ended class A. So I think there are 4 opamps, but not sure.

It is very cool that the opamps are in sockets. EE knows how to fan the flames of nervosa!

Rich,

There are four op-amps. There are a pair of 5532 dual op-amps used for I/E conversion. The signal then goes to both the tube output and SS. For SS the output goes to a pair of 5534 single op-amps and then to a relay that will switch between the SS and tube output. The second pair of op-amps have nothing to do with the tube section. The SS output does have an electrolytic capacitor used as a coupling cap.

Alex has done a great job with this DAC for the money. There are many ways to get more out of it. Most of them will involve voiding the warranty. Personally, I do prefer the tube output section when some mods are done to it. Easiest thing to do is to change the tube to a Pavane 12AU7-T and to change the AC power fuse to an aftermarket silver plated ceramic one. Neither of those things will void the warranty. Both will change the sound of the DAC rather dramatically.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2011, 07:16:33 PM »
Very interesting William! Thanks for the clarification. The 5534s make sense being monos. Is the 5534 direct coupled to the tube, or is there a electro cap there also?  I think the Auricaps are DC filters for the tube outputs, right?

Wayne1

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2011, 09:20:28 AM »
Very interesting William! Thanks for the clarification. The 5534s make sense being monos. Is the 5534 direct coupled to the tube, or is there a electro cap there also?  I think the Auricaps are DC filters for the tube outputs, right?

Let's try Wayne  ;)

5532s are the I/V conversion. There are no capacitors in the signal path going to either the 5534 output op-amps or the tube circuit. There is a relay after the I/V op-amps to select phase.

There are film caps that act as DC blockers after the tube. Stock film caps are labeled Eastern Electric. The volume control is placed after the final relay that selects SS or tube.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2011, 10:28:40 AM »
Sorry Wayne, I got your post mixed up with Bunkys...

« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 10:32:23 AM by richidoo »

Offline Bunky

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2011, 05:44:55 PM »
I contacted Clarity cable and talked to Mellisa Owen and as soon as i mentioned Op amps she gave the phone to her husband Chris Owen. Chris is a electrical engineer who also happens to own a cable company.he told me that he has been modding gear since the 1970's.he has experimented with modding the EE minimax DAC and tried several variations of op amps and the best one he could find to use in this DAC is a surface mount part #LME49990 and he said adaptors were available in order to be able to plug them into the DAC but the op amps would have to be soldered to the adaptors. he told me to Google BrownDog component adaptors while i was on the phone with him and he did the same and he was very happy because Cimarron Technology Inc was now offering custom Brown Dog component adaptors with the #LME49990 op amp presoldered to the proper adaptors.  he proceeded to tell me to order two pieces of each part #020302A and #970601A. i cant believe how cool Chris Owen is to spend his time to hook me up with these parts.i asked him what the best tube to use with this mod is and he replied that the tube is very rare.i asked him what tube and he said Seimens Nickel plate 12AU7. i laughed cause i have a pristine pair of these that i bought from Brent Jesse last year  :thumb: he told me if you install these op amps in the Eastern Electric DAC the sound will be comparable to DAC's costing many thousands of dollars.the total for the op amps with adaptors and shipping was $108.00. is this guy cool or what  ;)
-- Frank Zappa

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2011, 07:16:22 PM »
I've been eyeballing that 49990 too. I'm guessing it'll sound fabulous.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2011, 07:47:50 PM »
Thanks for the info!

http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LME49990.pdf

It is a single opamp, but the 020302 adapter converts two single opamps into an 8 pin dual opamp. Cool!

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2011, 12:09:01 PM »
Wow, what a great experience, William! :)  Thanks for the info, great find, really nice of you to share.
-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline Bunky

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2011, 09:16:11 AM »
OK ,i have my four adaptors with the LME49990 op amps pre soldered to them from www.cimarrontechnology.com and i just ordered a Acme Audio silver fuse in 1A 250v fastblow for my EE DAC as per Wayne of Boulder Cables recommendation and now all i need is the Eastern Electric Mini Max DAC. Bill pmed me on friday and he said that the next batch of DACs had just been shipped to him and should arrive on tuesday or wednesday at the latest. does anyone have any digital cable recommendations for hooking the DAC up to my Canary Audio CD200 ? thanks....WCW III
-- Frank Zappa

Offline richidoo

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2011, 05:28:47 PM »
Analysis Plus Digital Oval is really nice. $190/m new
http://www.analysis-plus.com/prod_digitalcable.html

JPS usually beats similar priced wires in the direct comparisons I've attended, if you like their clear open sound. There is a Superconductor Q digital wire, but I couldn't find the price list online.

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2011, 07:22:10 PM »
The Black Cat Veloce is nice too. BNC so you get to use what is supposed to be the best input on the DAC.
$123