Author Topic: Eastern Electric Minimax DAC  (Read 63894 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Eastern Electric Minimax DAC
« on: February 16, 2011, 03:34:19 PM »
BEST VALUE DAC

The EE Minimax DAC was just pronounced "Best Value DAC" by StereoMojo in their 2010 Product of the Year Awards.

Congratulations to the proud papa, our friend, AN sponsor, and US importer of Eastern Electric, Bill O'Connell!

Link to StereoMojo Awards article

Link to StereoMojo review of Minimax DAC

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Eastern Electric Minimax DAC
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 07:09:37 AM »
 Truly bang for the buck and with Wayne's' mod kaboom for the buck. Hey Bill thanks for bringing it to the masses with the tour.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 10:55:49 AM »
Well deserved.  :thumb:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 03:47:18 PM »
A Great DAC at a Great Price! Way to go, Bill!!!  :thumb:
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 04:41:51 PM »
Once I get my phono setup straight, this is my next purchase. Loved it since I heard Levi's at the dac shootout.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline mfsoa

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 05:10:24 PM »
I know Bill goes hiding in the corner with his teddy bear we we say it, but if you haven't heard the EE DAC with different op-amps, you haven't heard what it is capable of.

Not even close.

Those beautiful DIP-8 sockets just sitting there, waiting to be stuffed with cute little spider-lookin' chips...

Haven't listened to the tube stage for a while now  :shock:

-Mike

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 05:31:39 PM »
I liked the SS output too even with the stock opamp.

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 07:25:58 PM »
BEST VALUE DAC

Nice ti... excuse me, I mean tubes ;)
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

AcidJazz

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 10:32:04 PM »
I prefer the SS stage presentation in my system also.
Haven't heard the Bolder modded unit, no comment there.

Offline Bill O'Connell

• http://www.morningstaraudio.com
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 05:52:06 AM »
I know Bill goes hiding in the corner with his teddy bear we we say it, but if you haven't heard the EE DAC with different op-amps, you haven't heard what it is capable of.

Not even close.

Those beautiful DIP-8 sockets just sitting there, waiting to be stuffed with cute little spider-lookin' chips...

Haven't listened to the tube stage for a while now  :shock:

-Mike

Doug Schroeder from Dagogo is doing a mega roll of what he calls the super op-amps that are now available. Keep your eyes open for that article. He currently has a couple suggestions already in his article but he says those that he already has written about pale in comparison to the new super op's he is currently auditioning.Keep your eyes open for that article to be released shortly.

Bill O'Connell,
Retired /Morningstar Audio/Eastern Electric distributor for North America
847-255-1150
"If your playing more than 3 chords your just showing off"  John Lee Hooker

Offline Bill O'Connell

• http://www.morningstaraudio.com
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 05:53:21 AM »
BEST VALUE DAC

Nice ti... excuse me, I mean tubes ;)

My wife is jealous of the photo :rofl: enough said :roll:
Bill O'Connell,
Retired /Morningstar Audio/Eastern Electric distributor for North America
847-255-1150
"If your playing more than 3 chords your just showing off"  John Lee Hooker

Offline Bunky

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 01:03:50 PM »
BEST VALUE DAC

The EE Minimax DAC was just pronounced "Best Value DAC" by StereoMojo in their 2010 Product of the Year Awards.

Congratulations to the proud papa, our friend, AN sponsor, and US importer of Eastern Electric, Bill O'Connell!

Link to StereoMojo Awards article

Link to StereoMojo review of Minimax DAC

When i 1st saw the photo i thought Nice Rack  :yay2: but what had really crossed my mind was that it would look nice in my rack  :D i have never owned a seperate DAC and i dont have any current gear that uses 12AU7's and i have a nice collection of them including Amperex 7316 D getter longplate PQ's. Mullard CV4003, Seimens 12AU7 Nickel plates, Philips Mniwatt E80CC longplates Etc.... and i read somewhere that Clarity Cable sells custom Opp Amps for this unit. so i just ordered one of these from Bill O'Connell and i will order the Hot Rod opp amps on monday when i can reach someone @ Clarity cable.i have some sort of digital cable from PNF Audio just to get me going. any Giant killer cable recomendations ? i want to use my 50 lb Canary audio CD200 as a transport to play my cd collection.thanks....WCW III
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 01:18:04 PM by Bunky »
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

Offline richidoo

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2011, 01:29:49 PM »
Cool! Congrats Bunky!  I am curious about that Clarity opamp.

Offline Bunky

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2011, 03:18:11 PM »
Hey Rich,i believe that two op amps get replaced with one being in the tube section and the other in the solid state section. Bill O'connell is aware of this mod as he responded to a thread about it on Audiogon. this type of parts swap voids the factory warranty but it sounds pretty straight forward to me and i firmly believe that nothing ventured is nothing gained. this is supposed to be a killer mod for very little outlay  :thumb:
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

Offline richidoo

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2011, 04:01:04 PM »
The AC thread mentions that the stock opamp is Texas Instruments 5532, it is a good candidate for upgrading. The original Signetics 5532 was a great audio opamp, still available on Ebay now and then or from parts brokers. I don't know what the Clarity opamp is, but I would not be surprised if it is LM833, since they mentioned that it is from National, and that is an excellent sounding chip designed specifically for audio.

As I understand the Minimax design, there is a I/V converter immediately out of the DAC chip, which provides an extremely low impedance load to the chip, allowing it to run in current mode, which increases S/N significantly. Then the output of the I/V opamp goes to the output opamp for current buffering, then to output (or to the tube, if selected.) The buffalo designs are like this also. So the output opamp is always in the signal, as is the I/V converter.

There is a picture of the Minimax innards posted in an AC post about opamps. Iirc, there are 2 opamps near the DAC chip (I/V converters for balanced output,) but I don't remember whether there are two output opamps, or just one to sum the balanced signals to unbalanced. I guess it would be better to run two in mono even if half was unused. Then the tube runs single ended class A. So I think there are 4 opamps, but not sure.

It is very cool that the opamps are in sockets. EE knows how to fan the flames of nervosa!