Author Topic: Linn LP12 Owners.  (Read 21343 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Linn LP12 Owners.
« on: October 26, 2007, 11:44:50 AM »
Being a proud owner of a Linn Lingo, Ittock 2 arm with Cirkus and trampolin upgrades was wondering if I'm alone here. Any Linn owners with some input we can chat about?

rollo

PS; using micro Benz M2 and Loesch & Weisner phono stage/pre.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 11:47:03 AM by rollo »
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Linn LP12 Owners.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 02:35:34 PM »
Hi, Rollo!

I've also got a Linn LP-12. I certainly can't say I'm terribly knowledgeable, yet, but I do have several mods/updates that I need to do...one of these days. I've got some parts that have been sitting around for a couple of years, now.

YES...I AM a champion procrastonator  :roll:!!!
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline Lizard_king

• Certifiable
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 07:18:43 PM »
The Linn LP12 is a very Musical LP payer!

Being a proud owner of a Linn Lingo, Ittock 2 arm with Cirkus and trampolin upgrades was wondering if I'm alone here. Any Linn owners with some input we can chat about?

rollo

PS; using micro Benz M2 and Loesch & Weisner phono stage/pre.

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 04:52:16 PM »
Hey Charles!

It's Bill.  I could just call you, but that would be too simple!  ;-)

Need advice... LP12 - Isolate or Couple??? That is the question!  Cones/Spikes/Footers vs. Sand Boxes, Air Bladders, Sorbothane, Raquetballs or anything else "squishy"?  Or... if you have a platform between the TT and the shelf on your audio rack, maybe a combination of the two???

Right now, I have a Sound Organization TT stand (spikes down to disks on the top of my Oak cabinet) with the MDF (?) insert board that the Sound Organization stands come with.  That insert board rests upon the upwards facing pinpoints that run along the inside rails of the stand, for a second coupling point.  I then have 4 metal cones (manufacturer?) under the frame of the LP12 to raise it off it's stock footers.

Can't decide on what's best or where to start!?

SN
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 09:57:35 PM »
Not an LP-12 experience , but........

A few months back I took the stock rubber feet of my VPI HW-19 and replaced them with cones. The change provided me with a noticeable positive improvement and the cones remain today. Will this work for an LP-12? Who knows? But I do know that the LP-12 have similar, but not identical types of suspension. Both sit on springs, but the LP-12 springs are a bit looser that the VPI. The different spring constants and resonance points may lead to different results, but the easiest way to find out is to try it. Luckily, this is a real easy one to swap in and out. If you have any kind of cones laying around a home just drop them in place and see what you think. If you like what it does you cam always look for "better" cones. If you don't have any spares I'm sure there is someone in the club with a few extras the can lend you.

Tom
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 08:07:09 AM »
Here are a few pix to show you what I have right now. (No extra charge for the dust and scratches!) It's been this way for a while now and I've been too lazy to remove everything and start listening all over again! I just thought there may be things I could do to improve the sound further.

I also have issues with a "springy" ceramic tile floor on a plywood subfloor over a crawlspace in regards to making my tonearm jump around if someone walks by. I'd never would've thought that having that much "mud" (whatever they call the concrete base they set tile in) would allow that much "bounce" in the floor, but it does. Maybe there's a way of getting away from being so sensitive to the floor issues and get better sound all at the same time!?

Oh, one more thing... I have to keep the "WAF" (Wife Acceptance Factor) in mind with whatever I do here!

Thanks!
SN

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

Ecramer

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 08:44:39 AM »
One of the best things you could do would be to take the spring out of the floor by running a beam under the floor joyces to take the spring out. This will also tighten up the bass

Second get  a sand box. to many cones doing to many things I build my sand boxes with a 3/4 mpf base dadoed into the sides 5/8 up from the bottom then another piece of 3/4 mdf Green glued to the first  to decouple vibrations 

ED

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 10:26:47 AM »
Thanks, Ed!

Unfortunately, that floor is over a crawlspace. :(  The opening to get into the crawlspace is "a few sizes too small" compared to my not so svelte, "a few sizes too big" body!  It would be like trying to cram the proverbial "square peg in a round hole". :lol: 

I like the sandbox idea.  Where would it work the best... directly on top of the oak cabinet, under the Sound Organization stand... or between the Sound Organization stand and the LP12 itself?  With cones, without etc...?

SN

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 05:08:08 PM »
Bill,

Have you ever given any though to wall mounted TT stand like the ones made by Target? They woufl certainly eliminate the footfall problem.

Music Direct carries a whole bunch of them.

http://www.musicdirect.com/category/245

Tom
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

shep

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 12:07:08 AM »
This is definitely the way to go, especially if you are lucky enough to have stone or brick or other "dead" wall. It eliminates the whole trial and error thing and frees up floor space. There's no need to get the expensive version if your wall is solid and vibration-free. There might still be some vibration transmitted to the wall if there are joists or beams running into it but that is really a minor issue.

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 09:53:50 AM »
Hi Guys

I actually have either a Target or Sound Organization wall mount TT rack stashed away somewhere.  I used it when my system was in a different room in the house, but the way the new room sets up there really isn't a place to put it.

Bill

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 10:30:04 AM »
Another option is to hang a platform on chains and springs from the ceiling. 

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 11:05:56 AM »
Thanks, Bryan.

You either have a dedicated listening room all to yourself; otherwise be single or have a saint of a wife!  If I tell my wife I'm suspending my LP12 from chains and springs from the ceiling of the family room, I don't think I have to tell you what part of my anatomy will be hanging there right along with it... do I?   :shock: :(

What's "plan B" ???

SN

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 11:17:49 AM »
Hide it  :lol:

I don't have it any more but used to - and in my living room (yes, she's a saint). 

Seriously, if you had a cabinet with an open back, you could build struts that stick out from the wall through the back of the cabinet and hang the shelf on that. 

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2009, 11:22:35 AM »
You need to get this guy to come over and rebalance the turntable, set the spring tension and dampening, level it all out and bless it with the Linn holy water. He charges by the hour and it takes about 3 hours to accomplish. Oh yeah, this only needs to be done once every 6 months and airfare and single malt are on you.

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.