Author Topic: Magnepan MG10/QR DSP crossover  (Read 10007 times)

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
Re: Magnepan MG10/QR DSP crossover
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2023, 11:14:55 AM »
Rainy day so made the two sets of wire connections from the planar fast-ons to the 5-way binding posts. 

Hope to have the 5-way binding posts this week to make the swap.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2023, 05:13:46 PM by HAL »

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • All we need is music, sweet music
Re: Magnepan MG10QR DSP crossover
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2023, 05:31:10 AM »
I use Caig Deoxit for contact cleaning.  There is also Deoxit Gold for those contacts.  Used it for many years and very happy with it.

One or two cans will probably last me a lifetime for contact cleaning.  Easy to find.

I've heard and read - both good and bad, mostly good though of deoxit. The only contacts I would be wanting to "clean" are XLR, RCA and speaker connections. Even then my personal belief is this activity is best every 5-10 years or so, not annually or semi-annually. In the case of speaker connections, my main concern is that I use bare wire (Belden 5T00UP) and although hand tight, it is *very* tight as I have rather good dexterity and strength in my fingers. It's so tight that it actually crimps, albeit to a very small degree, the wire. If I take the wire out to spray it and the terminal, I would never be able to reinsert it in the same spot and, therefore, cause yet another crimp. I would consider spraying the terminal and wire while connected, but haven't thought hard enough about it nor do I have the liquid (deoxit or something else).
GoldenEar Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
http://halr.x10.mx/other.html

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2023, 01:39:48 PM »
The 5-way binding posts arrived today.  Superior Electric BP30 model in red and black.

Test fit the connections and everything looks good. 

Will see if it will all fits in the original crossover cavity.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2023, 05:47:15 PM »
First set of biamp cables connected to the MG10QR drivers. 

Now time to remove the original connectors and install the 5-way binding posts.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2023, 04:59:59 AM »
The MG10QR's connector plate with the new biamp wiring and 5-way binding posts is ready to install on to the speaker.

Now to shrink tube the original connector wiring and then on to speaker #2.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2023, 03:59:52 AM »
First MG10QR rewiring for biamp use is complete!

Time to rework speaker #2.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2023, 03:02:29 PM »
First MG10QR rewiring for biamp use is complete!

Time to rework speaker #2.

Hi Rich,

What brand are the binding posts?

Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2023, 04:41:41 PM »
Nick,
They are Superior Electric BP30 models.  I also like the BP30-10 models.  They are getting harder to find at decent prices.  Got these on Ebay in original packaging.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2023, 10:37:02 AM by HAL »

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2023, 10:41:21 AM »
The MG10QR #2 is modified and ready for testing and listening.

Monday a new pair of Orchard Audio Starkrimson monoblocks with GaN SMPS will be arriving to biamp the speakers.  The first pair are the ones I used at LSAF2023 that everyone commented favorably on the system sound quality with the dspNexus 2x8.  :)

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2023, 02:50:49 PM »
Nick,
They are Superior Electric BP30 models.  I also like the BP30-10 models.  They are getting harder to find at decent prices.  Got these on Ebay in original packaging.

Thanks, Rich 👍
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2023, 04:05:13 AM »
Nick,
You are most welcome!

The second pair of Orchard Audio Starkrimson Monoblocks GaN Class D amps with the GaN SMPS arrive Monday. 

Making 2ft speaker cables for each of them to biamp the MG10QR's to use with the dspNexus 2x8.  Will use spade connectors to the 5-way binding posts and tinned wire at the amp end.  Have some rosin core 2% silver content eutectic solder for the tinning.

The connections from the dspNexus 2x8 to the monoblocks will be XLR balanced interconnect cables.  Will take 15ft cables from the DSP crossover to the monoblocks in the setup.  Might even build some if I can find all the parts in storage. :o

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2023, 05:06:37 AM »
The Orchard Audio Starkrimson monoblocks have arrived.  This is the newer style chassis than my previous pairs.  Connectors are all on one side.

Time to make the 2ft speaker cables from the amps to the MG10/QR speakers 5-way binding posts.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2023, 05:14:04 PM by HAL »

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2023, 07:00:32 AM »
Finished the 2ft speaker cables for the amps to the MG10/QR drivers to get the system setup.

Next is time for some driver frequency response measurements to see what is needed.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2023, 07:07:05 PM »
Have the first step of the room acoustics materials setup to check out. Side walls have some absorption and rear wall has more diffusion. Room needs more absorption, but a lot better than the reverb chamber it was.

Installed the Magna Risers on the Magnepan MG10/QR speakers. The screws on this pair were 1/4-20 x 1-1/4" style where normally they are 10-32's. Just had to remove some of the coating from the screw holes on the stands to fit the original screws.

Next is to wire them up to the Class D amps and start making some acoustic measurements.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2023, 08:33:59 PM »
Have the first step of the room acoustics materials setup to check out. Side walls have some absorption and rear wall has more diffusion. Room needs more absorption, but a lot better than the reverb chamber it was.

Installed the Magna Risers on the Magnepan MG10/QR speakers. The screws on this pair were 1/4-20 x 1-1/4" style where normally they are 10-32's. Just had to remove some of the coating from the screw holes on the stands to fit the original screws.

Next is to wire them up to the Class D amps and start making some acoustic measurements.
I recommend raising the " - 16" off of the floor.  Get it up to where it will be more effective!
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe