Author Topic: How Much Time/Percent Of The Time Do You ‘Listen Critically’?  (Read 1236 times)

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
It’s occurred to me that I spend very little time lately listening to ‘the system’ in a manner looking to change something or find fault. My stereo is in my living room, pretty much open to the rest of my small house, and it’s on probably 3-5 hours a day. It goes on after work and through dinner prep.
As an audiophile, I’m wondering where I’m at; as a music lover, this is so much easier…
When I do ‘listen critically’, I like what I hear.
Should I see someone?
This is partly tongue-in-cheek- but, ‘it is what it is’ as ‘they’ say…
Where are you at?

Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: How Much Time/Percent Of The Time Do You ‘Listen Critically’?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2022, 09:21:56 PM »
Don’t listen much critically. Am enjoying what I have. However….  I did order new speaker cables because I’m enjoying the Wywires presentation so much. They’ll be here in a week or two and after some burn in with the Hagerman, I’ll find out if they were worth it.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2022, 09:44:31 PM »
I only "listen critically" when I am evaluating something I'm developing.

I listen primarily to enjoy the music, whether at home Orr in the car.

Take it, Tom  :thumb:
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2022, 10:34:39 PM »
Ok, since Dave set me up.......

Jim for me it's all about the music.

I do virtually no critical listening anymore. When Meredith and I got married and moved into our new house I was face with a smaller listening room than I had before and was force to downsize my equipment because it physically would not fit in the new room, never mind how it would sound in a smaller space. I got equipment that was better suited for the space I had to work with and came to then conclusion that it would never sound as good as the system I had in the old house, but it was pretty damn good none the less. And most importantly, it was good enough to provide me with an enjoyable musical experience. No matter what kind of equipment you have there is always something that could make it a little bit better. When I moved into that new room I just decided that it was good enough. And it was actually quite liberating to stop obsessing over what the equipment sounded like and start focusing on the music itself. And I have to say I have gotten much more enjoyment out of the hobby since I started pay time listening to mys system and more time focused on what was being played through it.

Although now that I think about it I still do a lot of critical listening, except now my critical listening involves evaluating differences in musical styles and techniques and not sonic differences among gear.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables