Author Topic: what is the best sounding Class D amp you've ever heard  (Read 19260 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: what is the best sounding Class D amp you've ever heard
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2022, 11:53:46 AM »
  I cannot find fault with the Living Sound Audio Warp-1 . Read the latest review in the Absolute Sound by Steven Stone.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Purity Audio Design
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2022, 07:32:52 AM »
Class D can sound very good when using the proper input stage on them.  Many of the older versions had a very low input impedance and high sensitivity. Simply connecting a preamp to a Class D amp does not always provide the results we want. I have been listening to many versions including those with solid state input buffers that are used only for impedance matching but still don’t provide what I am looking for in Class D.
I have been working with these for some time and finally came up with an input stage that brings out the potential of Class D while providing the sonics we look for in amplification. The key is to design a front end that is optimized for the amp being used. For me, it’s done with tubes which is what we have been working on the past couple years. Now we’re ready.
I am still a tube guy and 90% of what we do is tubes but there is something about hybrid amplification that that I can’t stay away from. 
Design Engineer
Purity Audio Design www.PurityAudioDesign.com
Purity Foundation Streaming Pre, Foundation DAC, Purity Foundation Hybrid GaN 200, Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Classic, Sony SACD Player, Nakamichi tape deck,

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2022, 07:23:56 PM »
I'm currently using a LSA GaN 350 (Bricasti M3 > ARC Ref 6 SE > LSA > Fyne F1-8). I'm quite happy with it. Nothing thin or dry about it. Smooth, detailed, slightly warm. And the price is right. Previous amp was a pair of Bel Canto REF600M mono blocks. These were pretty good, but a little dark, not as smooth, and less dimensional.

Mark, Belated Welcome. So this is interesting. You like the LSA better than the Bel Canto? The BC were on my list but I could not find that many owners. If you could expand on this I would appreciate it. Thanks
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline shadowlight

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2022, 12:55:55 AM »
Jim,

Depending on your budget some other GaN based amps to look up are AGD Audio, Merrill Audio, Orchid Audio and Peachtree Audio.  Outside of the usual suspects from Hypex nCore, Purifi and Ice based amps.  I would have added Digital Audio Company (DAC) but I do not know where the company stands since Tommy’s passing.

Personally, i have stopped looking at standalone amps and going down the integrated route going forward.  Right now, i go back and forth between the Vinnie Rossi LIO with 30 watt amp section and Ming Da 300b 8w setup.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2022, 12:36:33 PM »
 The LSA GAN Amp did not get the same praise in the reviews as the Warp-1. Being revised. Yes agree a tubed preamp is a necessity with class "D". Saying that my all time favorite is the Arion hybrid mono blocks. Using a 6H30 input tube. 5x more money.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Online P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2022, 12:40:28 PM »
The LSA GAN Amp did not get the same praise in the reviews as the Warp-1. Being revised. Yes agree a tubed preamp is a necessity with class "D". Saying that my all time favorite is the Arion hybrid mono blocks. Using a 6H30 input tube. 5x more money.

charles
The Reflektor 6H30 ytube is a monster!  Best preamp tube I ever had in my Cary pre, for sure.  Gary Dodd's preamp with the 6H30 is great, too.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline ejk

• Did I say no dropouts ?
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2022, 01:27:06 PM »
So far I'm happy with my Rogue Sphinx V3 integrated. It has a tube front end. No that's a lie, The Orchard was better and changed my mind. But first NAD Purifi amp is in the house for a test run. Then decisions.
Aric Audio Super 6SN7 Line, Orchard Audio Starkrimson Ultra, Quicksilver Mid Monos, Lumin U2 Mini, Denafrips Pontus II 12th-1,Denafrips Iris DDC, Spatial Audio M3 Saphire, Hapa Audio Interconnects, TWL power cords, TWL speaker cables, Wireworld USB, i2s.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2022, 11:43:50 AM »

charles
The Reflektor 6H30 ytube is a monster!  Best preamp tube I ever had in my Cary pre, for sure.  Gary Dodd's preamp with the 6H30 is great, too.
[/q
 Yes Sir.
Using NOS Reflectors

charles

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2022, 12:49:19 PM »
So I do have a tube preamp that will be feeding this new amp. I did demo the NAD M33 (using just the power amp portion line in) It was very good indeed. It uses the Purifi Modules. I am waiting to get hear some impressions on the Peachtree GAN400. It is surprising how little is written about it.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline ejk

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2022, 01:27:27 PM »
So I do have a tube preamp that will be feeding this new amp. I did demo the NAD M33 (using just the power amp portion line in) It was very good indeed. It uses the Purifi Modules. I am waiting to get hear some impressions on the Peachtree GAN400. It is surprising how little is written about it.

I replied to your PM. As far as the Gan400 I think most people are going towards the Gan1
Aric Audio Super 6SN7 Line, Orchard Audio Starkrimson Ultra, Quicksilver Mid Monos, Lumin U2 Mini, Denafrips Pontus II 12th-1,Denafrips Iris DDC, Spatial Audio M3 Saphire, Hapa Audio Interconnects, TWL power cords, TWL speaker cables, Wireworld USB, i2s.

Offline ejk

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2022, 02:12:07 PM »

Did you use the Dirac live? and if so, how is it

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2022, 05:11:56 PM »
No I used my RP7 line in to the NAD. Was very impressed with the few days I had it. It is lively but not sterile or harsh. Micro detail galore

Offline ejk

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2022, 03:37:40 AM »
No I used my RP7 line in to the NAD. Was very impressed with the few days I had it. It is lively but not sterile or harsh. Micro detail galore

Wait till you demo the Orchard

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2022, 01:27:47 PM »
Yea I'm pretty far down the list lol

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2022, 06:23:46 PM »
Jim you need to hear the LSA Warp-1. $1200 retail. I am not a dealer. I have one come over one day. A little killer.

charles

Yes after Thanksgiving, lets coordinate