Author Topic: what is the best sounding Class D amp you've ever heard  (Read 2038 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: what is the best sounding Class D amp you've ever heard
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2022, 11:53:46 AM »
  I cannot find fault with the Living Sound Audio Warp-1 . Read the latest review in the Absolute Sound by Steven Stone.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Purity Audio Design
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2022, 07:32:52 AM »
Class D can sound very good when using the proper input stage on them.  Many of the older versions had a very low input impedance and high sensitivity. Simply connecting a preamp to a Class D amp does not always provide the results we want. I have been listening to many versions including those with solid state input buffers that are used only for impedance matching but still donít provide what I am looking for in Class D.
I have been working with these for some time and finally came up with an input stage that brings out the potential of Class D while providing the sonics we look for in amplification. The key is to design a front end that is optimized for the amp being used. For me, itís done with tubes which is what we have been working on the past couple years. Now weíre ready.
I am still a tube guy and 90% of what we do is tubes but there is something about hybrid amplification that that I canít stay away from. 
Design Engineer
Raven Audio - www.RavenAudio.com
Purity Audio Design www.PurityAudioDesign.com
Purity Foundation Buffer, Geshelli J2 DAC, Raven Osprey, Custom 98dB tower speakers, Sony SACD Player, Raven Cables, Musica Bella Cables, Levan Audio Rack

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2022, 07:23:56 PM »
I'm currently using a LSA GaN 350 (Bricasti M3 > ARC Ref 6 SE > LSA > Fyne F1-8). I'm quite happy with it. Nothing thin or dry about it. Smooth, detailed, slightly warm. And the price is right. Previous amp was a pair of Bel Canto REF600M mono blocks. These were pretty good, but a little dark, not as smooth, and less dimensional.

Mark, Belated Welcome. So this is interesting. You like the LSA better than the Bel Canto? The BC were on my list but I could not find that many owners. If you could expand on this I would appreciate it. Thanks
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline shadowlight

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2022, 12:55:55 AM »
Jim,

Depending on your budget some other GaN based amps to look up are AGD Audio, Merrill Audio, Orchid Audio and Peachtree Audio.  Outside of the usual suspects from Hypex nCore, Purifi and Ice based amps.  I would have added Digital Audio Company (DAC) but I do not know where the company stands since Tommyís passing.

Personally, i have stopped looking at standalone amps and going down the integrated route going forward.  Right now, i go back and forth between the Vinnie Rossi LIO with 30 watt amp section and Ming Da 300b 8w setup.