Author Topic: pbs -wired science  (Read 2912 times)

rosconey

pbs -wired science
« on: November 07, 2007, 03:26:52 PM »
might want to keep a eye out for this weeks wired science -

the preview says -a debate between digital and analog audiophiles -

i set my dvr to record it

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: pbs -wired science
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 07:10:29 PM »
Hot damn that will be funny!! Thanks Rosconey. Great find. 

I think this is it online:
http://www.pbs.org/kcet/wiredscience/video/212-audio_files.html

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: pbs -wired science
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 06:46:31 AM »
It was an interesting segment. The musicians preferred vinyl sound and the engineers preferred Digital. When the Engineer was explaining his preference for the digital format he did not mention once the sound only how much more convinient it was to use digital editing. Oh boy. The hell with the sonics its easier.
      When two musicians and two "golden Eared Engineers [ can't imagine such a thing ] were asked to determine the source digital or analog they were correct 53% of the time. NOt a convincing result for either format. The concept was good but the test flawed IMO. Rapid fire insertions [ ooooh!] of the formats IMO did not allow the brain to adjust quickly enough. I would have preferred a short interval between changes. Say 30 seconds of one format, then the other for 30 seconds.
        Before we get into the analog/digital wars it was great to see our passion being discussed on public TV. The biggest kick I got was when the Engineer who was pushing digital showed off his analog button. Yeah just press this and digital is great . Press this I say.
        When the quality of transferring the digital to CD is improved with the pride it deserves then maybe we have a chance to hear the format as it was intended. Maybe.

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.