Author Topic: Ground Plane Wires  (Read 10639 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Ground Plane Wires
« on: February 24, 2013, 09:17:28 AM »
  So far suggested for speaker neg. binding posts and positive binding post of amp.
   Walker Audio is selling another application to try. So took the Rick Shultz wire and attached to ground of preamp power supplies [ dual mono ] and to my surprise a very affective tweak. Wires were not attached to amps positive terminals only the neg. and the power supplies.
    Walker suggests an 11" wire attached to ground of TT. So attached one to power supply . Check it out men.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
Re: Ground Plane Wires
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 10:41:32 AM »
Is there a link to this?
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 07:19:57 AM »
Yes. I need to see a link or some pics because I'm stumped. So if your preamp has a phono ground lug take a wire from that phono ground and connect it to a negative post on your speaker? Wouldn't this invite a ground loop? Now my Jolida DAC has a ground lug which is closer to my speakers could I connect a wire from that lug to a negative speaker terminal and create the same affect?

thanks

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 12:20:54 PM »
Yes. I need to see a link or some pics because I'm stumped. So if your preamp has a phono ground lug take a wire from that phono ground and connect it to a negative post on your speaker? Wouldn't this invite a ground loop? Now my Jolida DAC has a ground lug which is closer to my speakers could I connect a wire from that lug to a negative speaker terminal and create the same affect?

thanks

No, that would cause a dead short to ground and blow your amplifier. What is bing talk about here is attaching a sinfle shirt piece of wire to either the phono ground, the neg terminal of your speaker or both. In either case the wire should be insulated and the other end should not be connected to anything. just a wire stub hanging of the binding post
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 12:34:15 PM »
Cool. Thanks TMazz. I'm glad for the help. I would have had one messed up amp or more.

I'll try the tweak on the extra phono ground lug on my Accuphase. I have some extra Belden alarm wire and may try that wire tonight.

I actually am trying a similar tweak like what is mentioned here. I'm taking a Belden 12AWG wire that is about 5" long. On the other end I stripped off the insulation and put ferrite cores around the wire.The excess bare wire is wrapped around the ferrite cores. This has been fun tweak. I put one of these on the negative post on my amp and a negative post on my speakers. So far so good.

Thanks again for the clarification.

eleazar

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 02:29:02 PM »
I think you'll find something like this over on A/C. It was a while back.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 07:25:21 AM »
  The wire should be uninsulated. About 11" long. Start with ground of source component. Then Amp neg. terminal, then speaker neg. terminal. Wires should not touch anything but the ground. Basically mini antenna 11 inches long.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 09:01:45 AM »
I think you'll find something like this over on A/C. It was a while back.

Thanks Bill, I'll look for it.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 09:31:51 AM »
I'll give this a shot later with one of the wires from some Belden 5200UE cable that I found in my basement.

http://www.belden.com/techdatas/english/5200UE.pdf

So a single 11" stripped copper wire attached to the phono lug of my preamp to start. This should be interesting. I'll take a picture when I'm done. It may look a bit weird but if it improves the sound of my system I'll take it.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 10:14:28 AM »
Stripped copper wire hanging from the negative terminal on your amp or speaker is just asking for trouble. One slip of the foot and it touches the positive terminal and you have a blown amp.

Just don't do it!
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 11:21:59 AM »
I'll give this a shot later with one of the wires from some Belden 5200UE cable that I found in my basement.

http://www.belden.com/techdatas/english/5200UE.pdf

So a single 11" stripped copper wire attached to the phono lug of my preamp to start. This should be interesting. I'll take a picture when I'm done. It may look a bit weird but if it improves the sound of my system I'll take it.

Please use a solid core wire as per Walker so no sagging or chance of touching anything. Direct it away from positive terminal that's all.

If you feel sheepish about the bare wire a silk or cotton tubing will not interfere according to Walker.
 charles

Offline richidoo

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 11:24:54 AM »
There are commercial products available that do this safely. It is a "ground reservoir" first proposed by audio visionary Bud Purvine.

http://www.stereotimes.com/comm071910.shtml

Is this what you are talking about rollo?

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 11:28:55 AM »
There are commercial products available that do this safely. It is a "ground reservoir" first proposed by audio visionary Bud Purvine.

http://www.stereotimes.com/comm071910.shtml

Is this what you are talking about rollo?

Exactly professor. I used the Rick Shultz version. Then started making my own based on Walker and Mapleshade versions. both Mapleshade and Walker sell their versions without dielectric covering.

charles

Offline djbnh

• Certifiable
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2013, 04:30:41 AM »
Is this conversation / method akin to this product: EVS Ground Enhancers?
“If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.”   C.S. Lewis

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2013, 06:37:26 AM »
Is this conversation / method akin to this product: EVS Ground Enhancers?

Same idea
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables