Author Topic: Deciding whether to keep vinyl in my main system  (Read 7288 times)

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
Re: Deciding whether to keep vinyl in my main system
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2012, 06:42:39 AM »
I greatly appreciate the insight and banter here.  I always learn something new with the folks here.  Thank you.

-C

That's what great about AN; there's a wealth of information to tap into here.  Sorry for stating the obvious, but I think we all can find some value in other people's experiences and insight into our hobby and music in general by reading threads that pique our interests.

I know that I've had a few "Doh! Why didn't I think of that"  :duh moments after reading replies here!  :)

SN
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline machinehead

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • Affordable Web Design & Development
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2012, 06:59:26 AM »
On the real side.. I really appreciate vinyl. At the show recently, the Sound Smith room had the best vinyl system Ive ever heard! If I was promised that sound for under 3k Id definitely live with the hassle. Otherwise, Squeezebox out to a really good DAC can bring you close... You also get album reviews, Live Archive... tons of live music, Facebook posting, lots of cool plugins to play back and organize your music... idk
I love it...
M
Its cool ndude.

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2012, 07:37:59 AM »
That really does say it all.

I love vinyl, but recently bought a dac and find digital, done right, to be engaging.

Too bad Evan banned himself, as he went from vinyl to no vinyl to back to vinyl, hois insight on this topic would be valuable.

Carl - I think you answered your own question right here...

Quote: "I listen to vinyl less than 1% of the time."

Just sayin'
SN
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 08:48:28 AM »
  When it was time to upgrade my CDP I was still mostly vinyl orientated. So my choice of a tubed CDP was in the cards. Bought a Lector 7TL CDP and to date all challengers fell short to my ears . Then came along the PDX DAC with USB port and Dueland output caps and volume control [ no Pre needed ] to check out.
   Now I am convinced the game has narrowed against my LP setup. Getting emotional impact from both sources, which is better ? A close call but the LP still has it merits to edge slightly ahead. This is not promo hype as a dealer this is the reason we became one.
   Even a Musical Fidelity V-DAC at its low cost will make ya wonder why vinyl. With the Pangea power supply for $100 ya gotta hear it. The M1 DAC even better. Is it the PDX no but for the price difference it may to some be the ticket.
   Vinyl to me is a royal pain in the arse at times. So when in a chill mood Cd it is, when willing to clean an LP, readjust VTA then vinyl it is. When its time to show off the rig it is vinyl every time.
   Carlman, Rich can I send the PDX DAC to you guys for a GTG anytime soon ? Would be curious as to your findings which I respect very much. Let me know.

charles

contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2012, 07:13:10 PM »
Charles, you are welcome to send it down... but not too soon.
I am about to do an internal upgrade to my preamp and amp so both will be out of commission for a month.
I have to get the rest of my gear up to the same grade as my DAC. ;)  It will be interesting to hear.  It'll be worth wait, though... I'll be able to hear differences even better after the upgrades.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

jianghai

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2012, 09:00:17 AM »
You gotta follow where your music leads you. Content is more important than sound quality.

Vinyl is not better than digital.

Agree 1000000%.  :thumb:

I pretty recently got a turntable, and the attraction for me was
a) cheap records, especially from thrift stores
b) box sets with large booklets of translations/libretti
c) music/performances that are hard to get or expensive to get on CD.

But..... like carl, 99.9999% of my listening is digital. So for me at least it's worth having a so-so turntable but not at all worth it to invest heavily on that aspect of my music.

Just my 2c.