Author Topic: Inexpensive Music System  (Read 7942 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Inexpensive Music System
« on: October 22, 2010, 08:16:57 PM »
What would a system be like that a 15yo could acquire? Or a retired person on fixed income?

Something that would allow them to enjoy the music that they really love, with as much drama and presence, clarity and accuracy as possible, while still keeping the price affordable.

In the last month we have had several posts lamenting the absence of a manufacturer to deliver a low cost high value system to the common man, who is otherwise forced to listen to music on iPod, XBOX, or PC.  

We can discuss how much it should cost, how much it MUST cost to give good sound, how it should be marketed to minimize profit margin an still make it worthwhile to manufacture. What should the components consist of, what kind of speakers? How big can fit in a kids bedroom,or in a senior's one bedroom home. Acoustics? Appearance? Feel of quality, or no room for that in the budget? Black paint, or rosewood vinyl veneer? Fiberboard or plywood? That's just the spakers. We need amp, signal switching? How much power, speaker sensitivity? Optical disk player or just software player? Radio, vinyl? Or bare minimum?  Any insight you can offer into the ideal low priced system for average person to begin (or end?) there hifi journey is welcome in this discussion.

Please keep it on topic and as serious as you are about the future of our hobby and the kids who love music. You never know where this may lead. Thank you!
Rich
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 10:50:56 AM by richidoo »

Offline _Scotty_

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • “Sic transit gloria mundi”
Re: Everyman's Music System
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 08:25:44 PM »
The first thing that needs to be decided is how big the allowable budget for the system is.
Scotty

Offline richidoo

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 08:50:01 PM »
That's important, and open to discussion. Value cuts both ways. People will pay more if they perceive the value, to a point.

manaox2

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 09:00:59 PM »
Are we talking just speakers? This sort of topic, while speakers are obviously better for the total experience, also fits the headphone audio section well. An iPod nano and top of the line custom IEMs can be done for $1300 or less, fit almost any lifestyle, and be able to be enjoyed at ease.

I think my quad 12L actives were a pretty good bargain too though and are relative small self powered speakers that may fit the bill. Beautiful, sound decent, and can be found on Audiogon fairly often for about $600. Just need a decent source.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 09:12:14 PM by manaox2 »

Offline richidoo

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 09:14:47 PM »
Maybe headphones are where it's at for young people. But the posts I've seen on AN recently are looking for traditional hifi system with speakers that sounds good, costs less. An older audiophile isn't gonna wear headphones if he remembers what his old systems sounded like.

I don't know we need should discuss what this new frontier of modern audio will look like.

I always had room for speakers when I was a kid. Often it was Evan's classic RadShackers, sometimes big Sharp, single driver fiberboard freebies. But I made them fit somewhere. If music is important there is room.

Speakers are important, of course, but they won't play themselves. So what good is a decent sounding well built but inexpensive 3 way for $400 without electronics? Or is there already electronics that are good enough.

That begs the question why are we doing this? Is merely OK sound worth bothering just to meet a price? Shouldn't it sound very good, as a system, with synergy and life, otherwise, get the HTIB, who cares. BOSE WAVe radio is the alternative. Big, loud and pretty, in a curved box with metal accents, and TV ads.

I know it's a little nebulous at this point but it will gel as we start throwing stuff against the wall.  Maybe it reall needs $3k allup. Or maybe an exciting little system can be made for $1000. Where is the sweet spot in the market, what is required to fill it.

manaox2

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 09:45:21 PM »
As for budget speakers, Zu audio Omen speakers were fairly affordable and the essence was very nice when I last heard them (meet conditions). $1000 makes me tempted. I haven't auditioned enough to tell, but if I were to make them myself... I would charge more then they do professionally. Magnapan is kind of high on my list right now.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 09:49:36 PM by manaox2 »

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 10:10:37 PM »
I think my quad 12L actives were a pretty good bargain too though and are relative small self powered speakers that may fit the bill. Beautiful, sound decent, and can be found on Audiogon fairly often for about $600. Just need a decent source.

I've never heard them so I can't vouch for their sound, but they sure do look nice.  :thumb:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 04:14:16 AM »
PC -> HRT Music Streamer+ ->  Audio Engine A5

If you already have a PC, that can be had for < $1k.  If you need the system somewhere other than where the PC is, AE has the nice little USB to wireless adapters for around $300 IIRC.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline richidoo

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 06:08:49 AM »
Looks like there are some products available that fit the bill. No 40Hz, but that is a luxury as long as the 200-5000Hz is great.

I think vinyl and radio are also superfluous for a economy system. Good digital is good enough.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 08:12:30 AM »
For those who want simplicity and don't want to listen real loud, something like the NAD all in one would work very well

You'd need relatively efficient speakers at only 20 WPC, but it has digital in and out, USB in and out, headphone jack, 3 analog ins, and built in CD drive which is compatible with CDR's

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline allenzachary

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 08:54:59 AM »
I think the title of this thread is a misnomer.  The type of things that are being discussed here are far from "Everyman."  Your typical listening system for the vast majority of folks is indeed the iPod, the car radio or whatever music payback system is at hand.  The most thought that most people give to a music playback system is the type of listening they want (ie. headphones, music for a barbecue, etc) and whether they have anything that fits the bill. 

Offline richidoo

Re: Inexpensive Music System
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2010, 10:50:31 AM »
You are right Allen, and it has always been that way, even in the 60s and 70s at the height of hifi explosion, most people were happy with AM radio. But there are a small percentage of people who do love music enough to value better sound, at least that is the assumption made by people wishing there were simpler, cheaper high end gear.  I'm happy to change the thread title to a more appropriate subject, can you suggest? Thanks

I'd like to see some of these chinese and indonesian drivers with good efficiency put in a correctly sized  solid braced real wood box with simple 2nd order crossing, and very mild reflex bump. The integration is more important than the ultimate resolution. Deep bass is not as important as good clear bass tone. Driver quality nowadays, even at the lowest end is far better than the popular speakers of 2 decades ago, which still do sound nice.

Amplifier ICs allow a good design of amplifier, even built into the speaker. Active crossover is more accurate and less expensive than copper coils, and might allow user adjustment of the sound to taste.

I think there is no shortage of digital sources, kids already have computers and phones that can play wav files. An inexpensive DAC would be valuable but not essential at first, IMO. USB DAC is great with a computer.

In house manufacture of many parts and direct marketing is essential to preserve profits.
Rich

Offline allenzachary

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2010, 10:58:37 AM »
My daughter is using little 4" coaxial drivers in a small box, driven by a Technics receiver acquired for $10 from a thrift store.  At home it was connected to a Technics CD player, at school, she uses her laptop as a source.  The receiver was an upgrade from another older, lower end Technics receiver.  She noticed the improvement immediately. 

She understands what good hifi is about.  She's always admired mine and can't wait to duplicate Carl's room in her her house, when she gets one. 

My point is that all it takes is interest.  Becca is very happy with the current state of her hifi, although she always is ready to improve.  When she has funds (or when the great deals come along) she will upgrade as necessary.

manaox2

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2010, 01:13:39 PM »
I still would like to pair the peachtree nova for a DAC and amplifier in a budget rig. :)

Offline richidoo

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, 01:26:28 PM »
There are always lots of good midfi deals on Craigs List. Scrapped together mid-fi is probably where most audiophiles start.

Maybe the question itself is moot. If you love music you get whatever tool you can find to enjoy it. When you can justify something better, it's there.