Author Topic: Grand Theft Preamp  (Read 8386 times)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: Grand Theft Preamp
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2010, 02:28:44 PM »
Makes perfects sense....  My comment about the Hafler pre's was more about Hafler's odd inconsistency.  He made such nice sounding amps. I couldn't understand why the preamps, essentially switches with potentiometers, were so lacking,

I know what you mean. My first foray into the world of high end was a pair of Dahlquist DQ-10s. I quickly realized that the 40 wpc integrated amp that I had was not going to do the trick with the new speakers, so I went out and purchased a hafler amp & preamp. The trio was so much better than anything I had ever owned before that I was thrilled. However I had a guy on my hockey team who was into high end that kept telling me "the amp sounds nice, but that preamp just has to go." I wrote it off as audio snobbery and just ignored him. About a year later the same friend was getting married andI was helping him move his stuff into his hew apt. the week before the wedding. He decided that since he would not have time to set up his system before the wedding and he would be gone for the two weeks after on his honeymoon, I should take his Audio Research SP-8 home and "babysit" it for him until he got home. Well holy cr@p, what an eye opening experience that was. Once I heard the SP-8 in my system I knew exactly what he meant by the hafler pre had to go. ..... and as the say, the rest is history. (My wife still hasn't forgiven him.  :D )
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline tmazz

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2010, 02:29:52 PM »
Now this "Crack House".... :rofl:
................................................which town on Long Island is it in ?

Aye, but if I tells you where my treasure is, I'll have to make you walk the plank!

OK, it was Levittown.

It's OK ....I like water... :rofl:

Sounds like a very "unique" place in Levittown...happy hunting Tom.... :thumb:

Yes it is Chris.  :D

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2010, 09:26:43 PM »
AI Update:

Changed out the tubes this weekend. It sounded a bit dull so I swapped out the EH tubes that were in there with 2 pairs of ARC tubes that had each spent about a year in my SP-9 (I change those tubes every year on New Year's Day). The AI opened right up with these tubes. I am sure it would sound even better with a set of new ones, but I had these laying around so I figured I would put them back into service while I shop around for a good deal on a new set.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2010, 05:06:15 AM »
Quick note about Allen's comment for his daughter's system...
I did not build those speakers... I don't want anyone getting the wrong idea that I can actually do woodworking.. not my 4-tay.  I did paint them a lovely blue!  (originally intended to be a stain but I went overboard)

Rich has a pair of old Cerwin Vega's for sale I think would be perfect for her, btw. 8)
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2010, 08:08:56 AM »
Rich has a pair of old Cerwin Vega's for sale I think would be perfect for her, btw. 8)

Those sold on Monday... http://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?topic=2461.msg27975#msg27975
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2010, 04:58:14 PM »
Sorry, it thought Carl made them.  They aren't a product of a factory, anyway.  And i did get them from Carl.

Congrats, Rich, on moving those Irwin Bagels along.  They weren't quite right for my daughter, though, as she is a college student at Drexel University.  Her dorm is not very large.  We say that Becca is like the Genie from Aladdin.  Phenomenal cosmic powers, itty bitty living space.