Author Topic: Grand Theft Preamp  (Read 8385 times)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Grand Theft Preamp
« on: September 30, 2010, 09:55:24 PM »
Guys, I'm still pinching myself over this one.  8-[

I stopped into the Crack House this afternoon. (For those of you who haven't been following the recordings threads, the Crack House is a local thrift shop that was nicknamed by my son for the addictive way it draws me in to search for records & CDs.  :D ) Their prices are all over the map (they get 69 cents for original RCA "Shaded Dog" LPs and at the same time have a price tag of $1500 on a 12 year old EAD CD player, go figure.) So anyway, you just need to stop in and see what they have at what price on any given day (hence, the addiction.) I stopped by today on the way home and found the EAD player still on the shelf (no surprise at that price), and what did I see sitting right next to it but a like new Audible Illusions Modulus 3A preamp with a price tag on it of only $149! There are 4 of them currently listed on A'gon, with asking prices ranging from $1075 to $1499! It was a final sale item, but all the tubes lit up when it was plugged in and it gave off no unusual smells. And beside I figured what the heck, even if I had to put a couple of hundred into repairs I would still be way ahead of the game. I called by son Bobby to tell him about it and his response was "Don't move, I'm taking my bike to the ATM and I'll be there with the cash in 20 minutes. I assured him that his credit was good with me and I would float him the cash until he could get to the bank over the weekend and proceeded to make the purchase. Oh, by the way, I forgot to mention that Thursday is customer appreciation day and everything at the Crack House is sold for 25% off!!!  :clap: Which means I walked out the door with it for $122, tax included.  :shock: Talk about being in the right place at the right time!  :drool:

Brought it home and checked it out on the main system. Everything function absolutely perfectly. The sound was a little on the dull side, but I am sure that will improve with a fresh set of tubes, which luckily I have on hand since my SP-9 also uses 6922s. Brought it up to Bobby’s room and put it into his system and it was a huge improvement compared to the Hafler 110 preamp that he was previously using, even without the new tubes.Needless to say, he is a very happy camper right now.  8)  :thumb:  8)
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

lonewolfny42

Re: Grand Theft Preamp
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 11:22:26 PM »
Audible Illusions Modulus 3A preamp....nice find-great price....a vintage favorite !! 8)

Past comments on it's operation....can go through tubes...but their not too costly.

Now this "Crack House".... :rofl:
................................................which town on Long Island is it in ?

Offline richidoo

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 06:04:25 AM »
If you weren't hooked before... on random rewards... you sure are now!

That's a great story. Luck is on your side. Head out and find another opportunity today!  :thumb:

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 08:07:12 AM »

That's a great story. Luck is on your side. Head out and find another opportunity today!  :thumb:

If you're running this HOT, stop foolin' around with used CD's, LP's and Audio equipment and buy Mega millions tickets for God's sake! 

:rofl:

SN
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 08:10:31 AM »
Lucky you. great find. Yes its a bit tough on tubes. Sovteks work fine. I ownes one for quite some time. Used it with a Bryston 4B and Maggies at the time. A classic...
ENJOY!!

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Werd

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 08:17:19 AM »
I'm callin the FBI !!!! .....  :thumb:
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Prιcis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline Rob S.

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 08:58:43 AM »
a nice hearwarming story.  :D
No new money spent on audio!!  but starting in 2012!!

Offline richidoo

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 10:01:34 AM »
Sovteks work fine.

I was thinking the same thing. They are $10 each, reliable and consistent. Not gossamer silky but 96% great. And the best thing is they are in stock at every music store on Earth.

ltr317

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 10:03:12 AM »
Sweet deal.  :thumb:

Offline tmazz

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 02:15:43 PM »

That's a great story. Luck is on your side. Head out and find another opportunity today!  :thumb:

If you're running this HOT, stop foolin' around with used CD's, LP's and Audio equipment and buy Mega millions tickets for God's sake!  

:rofl:

SN

I think I'd better make that Mega-Millions and Powerball.  [-o<  :D  [-o<
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 02:18:17 PM by tmazz »

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 02:52:08 PM »
................................................which town on Long Island is it in ?

Aye, but if I tells you where my treasure is, I'll have to make you walk the plank!

OK, it was Levittown.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline allenzachary

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 03:49:52 PM »
Owner of the famous tube eating AI Mod 2D checking in:  officially jealous.  An AI with no tubes sounds better than a perfectly functional Hafler preamp.  I loved Hafler's amps, ran a DH220 for a while, but his pre's are more sour than a pickled lemon.

The EAD is no slouch of a CD player, but $1500 is what is sold for new, and it was too expensive. 

Congratulations!

lonewolfny42

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 07:23:02 PM »

Aye, but if I tells you where my treasure is, I'll have to make you walk the plank!

OK, it was Levittown.

It's OK ....I like water... :rofl:

Sounds like a very "unique" place in Levittown...happy hunting Tom.... :thumb:

Offline tmazz

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 10:42:27 PM »
An AI with no tubes sounds better than a perfectly functional Hafler preamp.  I loved Hafler's amps, ran a DH220 for a while, but his pre's are more sour than a pickled lemon.

The Halfer was in my 16 year-old son's system. He had a 25 year-old Yamaha rcvr in his room that he got from my mother when she sold her house.I had a spare Audio Research D-130 laying around, but nothing to drive it. The Hafler came from a co-worker who had it laying around his garage. So as bad as the Halfer pre was, mating it with an ARC amp still made for better sound that a 1980s mid-fi rcvr. But now, with the AI pushing the ARC it is sounding really sweet.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline allenzachary

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2010, 06:43:52 AM »
Makes perfects sense....  My comment about the Hafler pre's was more about Hafler's odd inconsistency.  He made such nice sounding amps. I couldn't understand why the preamps, essentially switches with potentiometers, were so lacking,

My daughter's hifi consists of a Technics receiver (that is not quite as good as the 25 yo Yama-Blah receiver) and a tiny pair of full-range home made speakers built by Carl.  She uses her laptop or ipod as the source.  When she graduates college in 5 years, I will enlist the AN community to help her build a great starter hifi.