Author Topic: Lucky Dube, South African reggae star, shot dead  (Read 3699 times)

Offline rlmacklin

• Certifiable
Lucky Dube, South African reggae star, shot dead
« on: October 19, 2007, 06:45:32 AM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7052050.stm

South African reggae star shot dead 

During his career Lucky Dube released more than 20 albums
The South African reggae musician, Lucky Dube, has been shot dead in front of his children in Johannesburg during an attempted car hijacking.
He had been dropping his teenage son and daughter off in the suburb of Rosettenville on Thursday evening.

Police say they were already out of the car when three shots were fired through a car window killing their father.

Alongside Bob Marley, he was thought of as one of the great reggae artists - singing about social problems.

He was also one of the apartheid regime's most outspoken critics.

Correspondents say the killing has shocked South Africans who are already accustomed to one of the highest murder rates in the world.

Tearful outrage

The BBC has been inundated with thousands of text and email messages paying tribute to the 43-year-old singer.

HAVE YOUR SAY

He will be missed as a great musician and for his love for the children and the suffering people in Africa

Abitekaniza Denis, Kampala, Uganda

Send us your comments
Crime fears after shooting 

"I am a 27-year-old black South African girl. I have dreadlocks and I love reggae music so much and I am proud to be who I am, being black and African. I will miss Lucky Dube, you are an inspiration to many of us," Sbongile Diko in Durban wrote.

Local radio stations have been flooded with tearful callers expressing outrage at the murder and renewing demands that the authorities act to curtail crime.

Some have called on the country's rugby team to show some form of respect when they take to the field in Saturday's World Cup final against England in Paris.

The BBC's Mpho Lakaje, at the crash site on Thursday night, said Mr Dube's silver-grey Chrysler was surrounded by a group of investigating officers.

He noticed bloodstains on the seats and shattered windows.

Witnesses say after the shots were fired the wounded singer tried to drive away, but lost control of his car and hit a tree.

"He was declared dead on the scene," Police inspector Lorrain Van Immareck told the BBC.

She said it was suspected that three people were responsible for the attack.

Name

Earlier this year, Mr Dube told the BBC that his parents named him Lucky after the death of an earlier child.

Lucky Dube's Rastas Never Die album was banned under apartheid

"When I was born I was sick so they thought I was going to die so they didn't give me a name till I was six months or so... They waited for me to die, but when I didn't die they said, 'Wow, he's a very lucky boy!' So they called me Lucky," he said.

He began his career by singing mbaqanga (traditional Zulu) music and recorded his first album with the Super Soul band in 1982.

He later moved into reggae, producing Rastas Never Die which was banned by the apartheid government.

His albums Slave, Prisoner and Together As One saw him gain first national, and then global, recognition.

Three years ago his 1989 anti-apartheid hit Together as One, which calls for world peace and harmony, was voted one of Africa's top 10 songs by BBC readers and listeners.

Lucky Dube released his most recent album, Respect, in April.

Offline rlmacklin

• Certifiable
Five arrests re Lucky Dube's death
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 10:56:48 AM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7055487.stm

Five arrests over SA star's death 

Lucky Dube had sung about his country's terrible crime problem
Police in South Africa hunting the killers of reggae star Lucky Dube say they have arrested five suspects.
Spokesman Eugene Opperman told a news agency they also seized two unlicensed guns and four cars, including one thought to have been used in the crime.

One of Africa's biggest selling artists, Dube was shot dead on Thursday in a suspected botched car-jacking.

The death of the musician - who sang about his country's crime problem - prompted a torrent of grief from fans.

"I can confirm that five suspects were arrested this morning," Superintendent Opperman told the news agency AFP on Sunday.

"We also confiscated two unlicensed firearms, and four cars including the blue VW Polo that is believed to have been used on the night the crime was committed. The cars are believed to have been stolen," he added.

'Need answers'

Dube, 43, was killed on Thursday night in a Johannesburg suburb as he dropped off his two teenage children at a relative's home.

Over his career he had devoted much of his musical attention to social problems.

His death was lamented by President Thabo Mbeki and by thousands of fans who emailed or texted their tributes to this website.

Senegalese singer Youssou N'Dour said his murder posed "a big question which South African authorities must provide answers to", reported AFP.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Lucky Dube, South African reggae star, shot dead
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 07:17:45 AM »
Senseless. It appears someone didnt want peace. A sick state were in. When is it going to end. Peace brother.

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rlmacklin

• Certifiable
Service and protest march for Lucky Dube, South African reggae star
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 07:01:34 AM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7059626.stm

Service for SA's shot reggae star 

Lucky Dube had sung about his country's terrible crime problem
Friends and family of the murdered South African reggae star Lucky Dube are gathering in Johannesburg for a memorial service and protest march.
The singer was gunned down late last week in what police described as a botched car hijacking attempt.

The protesters are demanding tougher government action to end the country's wave of violent crime.

Lucky Dube was a reggae music icon and one of South Africa's most loved and respected stars.

Lamented

The BBC's Peter Greste, who is at the memorial service in central Johannesburg, says it was a cruel irony that a singer who used his music to call attention to social injustices and corruption should himself be a victim of South Africa's violent crime.

Dube, 43, was killed on 18 October in a Johannesburg suburb as he dropped off his two teenage children at a relative's home.

Police have arrested five men in connection with last week's killing.

They are due in court later on Wednesday.

Lucky Dube's murder was lamented by South African President Thabo Mbeki and by thousands of fans across the world.

Senegalese singer Youssou N'Dour said his murder posed "a big question to which the South African authorities must provide answers", reported AFP news agency.

Our correspondent says South Africa's crime wave cost an estimated 20,000 lives in the past year.

The protest has been timed to coincide with Wednesday's memorial service.

Dube's funeral will be held on Sunday as his family say they want a small and dignified ceremony.