Author Topic: Perfectionism  (Read 10659 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Perfectionism
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2009, 07:44:45 AM »
  Well, its been a while since any major component change. A few powercords and speaker cables have tried to be contenders but failed the test.
   My sickness is tubes. NOS tubes. I've found as you have that tubes have different characters. If Rock or Blues is up that night then its the GE 211. If classical or Jazz then its the RCA 211. The other tube I play with is the Preamp output. A Mullard 6DJ8 with the GE 211 and a Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8 with the RCA 211. This is for CD playback. For LP same as above but the Pre output goes to a Phillips Mini Watt. Just opens up the soundstage and adds the nuances and inflections that make it sound real to me. Nervosa at its best.
  By doing this change we have lush [ RCA] and dynamic and punchy [ GE]. For me changing tubes is like changing a component without the major expense. Unfortunately tubes are getting more expensive as we speak. Stocking up before they are really out of touch.
   Lately though the SS deal seems appealing. Shoot man there are 24 tubes here. Its getting expensive to keep backups. I auditioned a Dartzeel amp and loved it but $20,000. WTF. Maybe a SS Pre like a Klyne or Ayre. Who knows.
  So here is the dilemma. Do I try a SS Pre with the SET amps. Or a SS amp with the tubed pre [ Loesch & Weisner], that is the question .
   Last night I went to a friends home for a listen. Snell B minors with Sonic Frontiers gear. Rega TT , Grado cart.gotta tell ya this system kicked some serious arse. Not one new component in about 20 years.  Except CDP a Carey. Well no Nervosa for him so we will keep it going for him.

charles 
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline bmr3hc

• Certifiable
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2009, 03:09:05 PM »
Carl

The absolute best part of this journey is the people you meet along the way, who understand you, only because they are just as crazy and sick as you are. We all need to be in rehab. So when is the next G2G?

Henry
"If music be the food of love, play on."  Shakespeare

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2009, 06:35:08 PM »
Carl

The absolute best part of this journey is the people you meet along the way, who understand you, only because they are just as crazy and sick as you are. We all need to be in rehab. So when is the next G2G?

Henry

So true.. The next G2G is Saturday at 6:30... hope to see you there!  http://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?topic=1626.15
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline JLM

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2009, 03:13:01 AM »
After being raised by a perfectionist father, nearly 40 years of interest in audio, 30 years as an engineer, and like Den a couple of not so good revelations regarding my health my thoughts on perfection include:

1. Lots of opinions, but don't know 10% of what there is to know about audio
2. Almost none of us have been formally trained in music appreciation (our #1 limitation)
3. The very nature of reproduction creates our #2 limitation (the music and the recording)
4. Many audiophiles have quirks and as such ignore various foundational basics
5. Its not about the extremes or ultimates so good enough is good enough

Don't know if the human condition allows for us to ever be fully satisfied for long.  You just need to find fulfillment along the way.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2009, 08:44:41 AM »
Welcome JLM. Nice to have you here. Wellsaid BTW.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.