Author Topic: Oyaide? Is it really a better material for IEC's and Plugs?  (Read 13874 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Oyaide? Is it really a better material for IEC's and Plugs?
« on: September 05, 2007, 06:36:53 AM »
Well to Oyaide or not to Oyaide. That is the question. Do they really sound better? I don't know.
    Has anyone used the same cordage only changing the plug and IEC to Oyaide ones from Industrial grade say Hubbel or equal and compared? Curious to know what was the sonic difference if any.

rollo
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 09:54:10 AM by rollo »
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Black Sand Cable

Re: Oxide? Is it really better?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 08:19:19 AM »
I would say no, from the looks of the link below, it's a little too trendy for me!  :rofl:

www.oxide.ca

All kidding aside, no I don't think it's better.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 10:43:36 AM »
I have no idea what you're talking about, Rollo... Can you provide any links to more info?  Or explain what Oxide is?  Sounds like rusty metal to me... ;)
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline Woodsyi

• Seeking Help
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 12:18:39 PM »
Long ago I studied  chemistry in college.  They even made the mistake of giving me a BS degree. 

Why would you want rust on your cable or connection?   :shock:
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 12:21:10 PM by Woodsyi »
I am a nut.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 01:17:36 PM »
Charles....Are you drinking again ?  :rofl:

He means .....Oyaide...

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 07:47:59 PM »
I assumed he was talking about the recent trend by a few nut cases that claim treating certain audio gear with NOS offers some form of improvement. Most call it the Oxide treatment and thus my assumption.....and you know what they say about those who assume things!  :duh My BAD!

But honestly......I'm not sure now what he is getting at?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 07:49:47 PM by Black Sand Cable »

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 09:06:46 PM »
If you're into the OCC - long grain copper thing (which I seriously am), then terminating OCC power cabling with OCC plugs only makes sense. 

Personally, I think the Furutech makes more sense.  I'm actually negotiating to pick up that line.  Everything I've tried of theirs has been well worth the $$$

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

jrebman

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 08:07:16 AM »
Brian,

Me too -- very much a fan of OCC -- both copper and silver.  All projects from here on out will use it wherever I can.

Let me know when you pick up Furu -- excellent stuff and more affordable than Oyaide.  IEC inlets are very nice

-- Jim

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 08:53:31 AM »
If you're into the OCC - long grain copper thing (which I seriously am), then terminating OCC power cabling with OCC plugs only makes sense. 

Personally, I think the Furutech makes more sense.  I'm actually negotiating to pick up that line.  Everything I've tried of theirs has been well worth the $$$

Bryan

Really?

I had the Furutech line for a few years and after having nothing but problems with delivery, customer support, product quality.....I don't do much with the line anymore. On my end at least nobody is asking for it and as a result I have fewer headaches! On the termination side I find Furutech average at best and unless it's a special request, I won't use them. For a time everybody wanted them but that time seems to have come and gone.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 09:06:44 AM »
When you say the termination side, are you speaking of them doing the terminations or the end parts themselves?  I'd be purely picking up parts/raw stock for DIY'ers and potentially doing some custom work for people.

Bryan

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 09:19:43 AM »
When you say the termination side, are you speaking of them doing the terminations or the end parts themselves?  I'd be purely picking up parts/raw stock for DIY'ers and potentially doing some custom work for people.

Bryan

Bryan,

I don't sell any individual DIY parts when it comes to power cords so my comment was based on us ordering in various Furutech terminations to use on our power cords. Basically somebody would order cord "X" with Furutech FI-25 and the matching IEC as one example.

We also use to sell a fair number of FP-20A outlets but that market died the day Oyaide came to town.

Even though I can deal in almost anything from FIM, Wattgate, Furutech, Oyaide, Acrolink and a few others that most have never heard of (iEGO to name one), less then 2% of our business now is done with a Furutech product. At one time that number was over 50%.

You may have better luck (and I hope you do) but it's more or less a dead horse for us now.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2007, 09:51:39 AM »
Charles....Are you drinking again ?  :rofl:

He means .....Oyaide...

Chris,
          Thank you for the correction. A Brain Fart for sure. Yes I meant to say Oyaide. A double dumb ass am I. At least we got some response. Eh! Hope you all are having a good laugh and no I was not drinking I can't do that anymore. Too bad for me, miss those Stellas.
           So the question is does this material for Plugs and IEC's make an obvious difference using the same cordage. Has anyone coducted a direct comparison.

Rollo 
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Oyaide? Is it really a better material for IEC's and Plugs?
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2007, 10:24:48 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I've never had to deal with them from a business standpoint - always just a few pieces for DIY myself. 

Bryan

ger1823

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2007, 10:12:16 AM »
Are you guys kidding?  Oyaide IECs mop the floor with almost all of the rest.  Furutech's are very good; Oyaide's are better.  If you can't hear the difference between Oyaide and Hubbell plugs -- more power to you!

Cheers and happy listening.                 

Gerry

Mike L

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2007, 08:46:28 PM »
I recently demoed a couple of power cords that were built using the same construction, however one with the Oyaide (007 I think...the red one with the gold positive and negative terminal and the silver? ground)  and the ultra expensive carbon fiber Acrolink and they did sound quite different.  Although, they used the exact same wire and same construction method the Acrolink cord was a 7 strand per post vs. the Oyaide cord which was a 3 strand per post cord.  I don't want to retype my review so I will cut and paste a mini comparison I posted elsewhere.  For sake of the comparison the Oyaide cord is called the Thunderbird and the Acrolink cord is called the Windigo.

I demoed the Thunderbird as well as the Windigo cord that others have referenced above on my Consonance Cyber 800 monoblocks. Oh man, they both made big sonic impacts on my system.

The Thunderbird power cord caused an increase in soundstage, a blacker background, and an increase in the separation of instruments. I found it made my digital system sound more natural, accurate, and just caused an overall "tube" sweetness. I also found it to lean slightly to the warmer side of neutral.

The Windigo sounded quite different on my amps than the Thunderbird. It took a black background, separation of instruments to another level yet. This cord is definitely more neutral and dynamic.

I hope I have added a little something.

Thanks,
Mike

PS.  I have some other emails that I sent regarding these cords and the differences that I can post...but I just don't want it come off as an add in any way.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 08:53:26 PM by Mike L »