Author Topic: Now I have seen it all  (Read 4565 times)

Offline mca

• Certifiable
Now I have seen it all
« on: July 29, 2007, 09:43:02 PM »
Who wants to be the first to try this contraption  :shock:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?cablintr&1190489831
Modwright Transporter, Ayon Spirit II Integrated, Daedalus Ulysses speakers, Running Springs Haley conditioner, Reality cables, Black Sand Violet PC's.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Now I have seen it all
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 05:22:09 AM »
Cool idea. Like AQ powered wire, except uses the signal to charge the insulation proportional to the signal instead of DC. Having just started hearing what great cables can do I can imagine the claims are "True" in some kind of interpretation - but his ad copy is not very inspiring! haha Seems like this hobby loves their hype!!

Brass is an alloy of copper and tin, not copper and zinc. Tin is an OK conductor, used in solder. DHLabs all copper RCA plugs list for ~$60/4. The most surprising thing was the feedback at the end. 804 transactions, all positive. Now I wanna hear it! Thanks mca. Good find!
Rich

miklorsmith

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 08:37:05 AM »
Where am I going to find room for ANOTHER freaking box in my rack and ANOTHER outlet/power cable?  Do you need a hi-zoot power cable to run the power supply for your cables?   :roll: :rofl:

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 09:08:31 AM »
.....Ahhhh never mind. I was going to post something but I have since thought better of it as no matter how I worded it most would have seen it as me slamming Aural which is not what I want to do. I think Tom is a decent guy and as a result, I have no desire to say anything that may be viewed as negative.

I will say that it's a novel idea but if somebody is using a decent quality conditioner or using this to feed a high current piece of equipment they should do their homework.

Active power cords are old news and more often then not turn out to be more trouble then they are worth which is why most ditched the idea a long time ago. That and the fact that 100% of the time, they are also completely unnecessary. At the end of the day a power cords job is to take the power from the source and get it the component in the cleanest possible way. Adding numerous pieces between that path doesn't make a lot of sense to me.....but that is my opinion and when it comes to power delivery, it's no secret that I'm going to be bias as all hell!  :)

To get the same results and then some.....all one has to do is use a decent power cord and one of Bill's (www.morningstaraudio.com) BBA's and if it's tube sound you want, you will get it ten fold and it will be a correct electrical match with active output.

wet weasel

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 02:30:30 PM »
With respect:
Copper and tin make bronze. Modern bronzes also contain phosphorus, arsenic, lead etc. Both copper and tin can easily be smelted in an open hearth.
Brass is copper/zinc. Making metallic zinc is not practical in an open hearth. Alloying copper with zinc is also a fairly young industrial process, since zinc boils at a temp lower than copper's melting point.
OK, enough of my pedantry (and no, that does not involve children) for one day...
cheers ww

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 04:46:16 PM »
Yup, you're right! Thanks for the correction, ww. My trumpet teacher was wrong all those years (about brass alloy).

Actually, I just looked to see if he was still playing his steady big band gig in FL, when I found his obit. He died almost a month ago. :(  I studied with him for almost 20 years, since age of 12 when he started teaching in the basement of the small music store in my hometown. Quite a fortunate coincidence for me.
Rich

wet weasel

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 06:17:42 PM »
My condolences in re your trumpet teacher!
Trumpets ROCK.
Hearing them properly has been one of my major reasons (excuses?) for buying high-end goodies.
cheers ww (can't sign off as "weez" as is my wont .. that one belongs to, uhm, WEEZ.)