Author Topic: Grover IC Comparison.....Digital Amp  (Read 7734 times)

lonewolfny42

Grover IC Comparison.....Digital Amp
« on: March 31, 2007, 11:45:59 PM »
Or....How I spent my Saturday night.... :lol:

Red Wine Audio Sig. 30 Integrated
EA Modded Sony 7700 player
Mirage M-3 speakers
Tara Labs Time and Space S.C.'s

Music : Joss Stone - "Mind, Body & Soul" Cd.....first four tracks. (Get out your Cd and listen along)

VH Audio Pulsar IC - $169.99 pair
Reality IC - $225.00 pair
Ridge Street Audio Midnight Silver Edition IC - $680.00 pair
Grover "S" IC - $150.00 pair

Notes :

VH Audio Pulsar IC......Laid back sounding...not as clear....less detail...low punch in bass...too smooth.

Reality IC......Full sounding....clear....details ok....bass ok.....some punch in bass....smooth.

Ridge Street Audio Midnight Silver Edition IC.....Full sounding.....clear focus.....better details than above two.....bass good...hearing the punch....balanced.

Grover IC.......Full sounding,slightly forward....very clear focus...very detailed, more than the others....bass good....good punch and snap.

What I want to hear when I listen....Bass (its the foundation)....Details in music....Image and Placement. Those are foremost.... :wink:

Chris

* I use the least amount of equipment to hear the differences between the IC's....*

shep

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 12:48:15 AM »
Thank YOU (enfin!) now we're getting somewhere :D Are they run in? (the Grover's)

lonewolfny42

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 01:17:55 AM »
Quote from: "shep"
Thank YOU (enfin!) now we're getting somewhere :D Are they run in? (the Grover's)
Their still breaking in....but some don't believe in break in.....so I'm just playing them about 3 - 4 hours a night.... :wink:

Gordy

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 05:45:46 AM »
Thanks Chris, much appreciated  Were the Grovers previously used before you got them or brand new?

lonewolfny42

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 07:33:47 AM »
Quote from: "Gordy"
Thanks Chris, much appreciated  Were the Grovers previously used before you got them or brand new?
As far as I know....brand new. By the way.....nice build quality. 8)

Offline mca

• Certifiable
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 08:30:47 AM »
Some say silver changes the most with break in. Hopefully you can compare them in about a week and report back.

I worry about the slightly forward comment with my new Piegas on the way. As I understand, they can be ruthlessly revealing.
Modwright Transporter, Ayon Spirit II Integrated, Daedalus Ulysses speakers, Running Springs Haley conditioner, Reality cables, Black Sand Violet PC's.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 10:34:08 AM »
I worry about the slightly forward comment with my new Piegas on the way. As I understand, they can be ruthlessly revealing.
By forward I mean most like live...not a tinny sound...but very clear.
Now maybe Carl can compare the Reality and Grover IC's on his Piegas.... 8)

shep

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 12:45:56 PM »
Quote from: "lonewolfny42"
Their still breaking in....but some don't believe in break in.....so I'm just playing them about 3 - 4 hours a night.... :wink:
I firmly do. My spkrs took 200hrs, the opamps are only just opening up. I really hope everyone here is a "believer" and if they're not, will respect the others so we don't have pages of inflamatory nonsense and useless
arguments, the likes of which we have all been party to elsewhere. As I am using various Tripath amps and very revealing spkrs, I'm listening over your shoulder (by proxy!) to know what I'm getting :D

Double Ugly

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2007, 07:07:50 PM »
Quote from: "lonewolfny42"
I firmly do. My spkrs took 200hrs, the opamps are only just opening up. I really hope everyone here is a "believer" and if they're not, will respect the others so we don't have pages of inflamatory nonsense and useless
arguments, the likes of which we have all been party to elsewhere. As I am using various Tripath amps and very revealing spkrs, I'm listening over your shoulder (by proxy!) to know what I'm getting :D
I'm a believer too, shep, and I echo you sentiment about non-believers indulging those of us who have experienced the phenomenon.

As I mentioned elsewhere, it was several days before I felt my first pair of Grover ICs hit their stride.  The results of the initial comparison (played one hour, then compared to my 'normal' ICs) differed significantly from the final evaluation accomplished a week or so later.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2007, 07:09:14 PM »
shep...
I'm listening over your shoulder (by proxy!) to know what I'm getting
Good....I think you will be happy with the Grover's.... 8)
Tonight....a Butler 2250, Phillips CD-80 cdp, and the Mirage M-3's. Playing Jacques Loussier Trio - "Bach - The Brandenburgs" cd (Telarc Jazz)....sounding very good !!!

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Grover IC's vs. Reality IC's
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 06:32:08 AM »
Thanks for starting this thread, LW.  I really appreciate that you took the time to listen and share your thoughts here. :)

I thought I'd add my comments since a few have asked me my impressions of Grover's Interconnect Cables compared to Greg Straley's Reality Cables.... I agree with LW's assesment but I'll add a little more from my review.

First, I'll start by saying I think the most important thing is what's important to you about the musical presentation.  In this case, you have a choice to make... Do you want smooth and relaxed at the cost of a little extension or do you want detail and impact at the cost of a 'pretty' presentation?

I think the Straley's are about the 'smoothest' sounding cables I've heard but lack a little resolution compared to Grover's.  Gregg's cables are non-fatiguing, musical, and don't add warmth or sparkle.  They are an 'error of omission' compromise for that smooth, natural sound.  The pace of the music is pretty good, the mids are fairly natural with just a touch of harshness in the mids... maybe some would call it 'warmth'.  I would say they sound similar to anticables but more refined.

The Grover cables deliver all the details with wreckless abandon.  Good or bad, you'll get it all through those pipes.  They seem to have no personality of their own, just get out of the way and transmit a very pure signal with another octave at the top and bottom compared to the Reality's.  Doing so means you'll hear more information in the music, little clicks, small changes, better attack, more microdynamics, more, more, more.  I wasn't as emotionally attached to this presentation as I was with the Reality's, though... was it fatigue?  Am I just familiar with the old ones?  I don't know.  I haven't spent enough time to make that call.  So, I will try to get my hands on the latest version, do some more listening and follow-up.  I will also try to compare them to my favorite, the Audience Au24's.  So, it's too soon to be definitive... sorry.

The best analogy I can make is with John's BSC's.. the Violet is like Grover's cables and the Chromium is like the Reality's.  If I could get the best of both, I'd have the Silver Ref.  To me, in my neverending search for IC's, the only one that has that perfect balance is Audience's Au24.  They have extension, impact and detail but present it musically and with the right pace.

Thanks,
Carl

edit...
P.S. I just spoke to Gregg Straley... he reminded me I have his tube-version IC and am using SS gear... and that could contribute to some of the traits I'm hearing.  So, he's sending a pair of his latest version for SS gear to try.  I've had them about a year or so.. and there has been some improvements since I bought them.... Give me a couple of weeks to get it all burned in and I'll be reporting back....
I really enjoy listening to music.