Author Topic: What are your favorite IC's and why?  (Read 25341 times)

Double Ugly

Re: anticables
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2007, 08:44:32 PM »
Quote from: "richidoo"
First Post for me here!
Welcome!  :D

I use Paul Speltz anti-cables on speakers and ICs and I think they sound excellent, and not just for the money. They are cheap and awesome as many people have discovered. Perhaps Grover's sound even better.  I would be interested in comparison.
I have Grover's cables, and have another, supposedly improved pair en route.  I also have a pair of Paul's anti-cables, and will be able to compare them in my system.

I also trust Steve Hoffman's opinion. I have same speakers as him.  :D
Steve has several speakers.  Which do you own?

-Jim

shrinkmore

Cables I'm using
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2007, 09:40:54 PM »
I've been using Concierto Violins throughout my system, other than a Grand digital cable.  A few years back, I compared the Concierto's with Nordost SPM Reference interconnects and preferred the Conceirtos for the richness in sound.  I recently made a change from a Sonic Frontiers SFD-2 MK-2 DAC to a Monarchy M-24 and really like the Monarchy, which is very nicely priced.  The Monarchy has RCA outs and I have an Audio Metallurgy pair of RCA->XLR interconnects and am happy with these.  I am trying to get Conceirto Violin Mk-IVs for everything except the speaker wire, for which I plan on keeping the Violin Speaker cables (mk-I).  I tried the Speltz speaker cables and while I was impressed for the money, they didn't have the mature warm sound of the Conciertos.  I am using a Concierto Grand for my digital, and will be upgrading to a Violin Mk-IV sometime in the near future.  Again, this sounded better than a Nordost SPM Reference and I recently tried a Monarchy DR-1, but the Grand sounded better, including better than a Speltz.  I am interested in trying the Grovers.  

My system:
Sony SCD-1
Monarchy M-24 DAC, w/Stock Phillips
BAT Vk-5i Preamp with 1960's RCA
    Blackplate 6L6GC and
    Telefunken ecc88's
Classe CAM 350 Monoblock Amps
Sonus Faber Guarnari Homage Speakers
In the process of installing Dedicated subpanel with 5 dedicated lines and Oyaide SWO-XXX outlets.  Will be purchasing 4 BCS Silver Ref.

Double Ugly

Re: Cables I'm using
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2007, 10:08:07 AM »
Quote from: "shrinkmore"
I've been using Concierto Violins throughout my system, other than a Grand digital cable.  A few years back, I compared the Concierto's with Nordost SPM Reference interconnects and preferred the Conceirtos for the richness in sound.  I recently made a change from a Sonic Frontiers SFD-2 MK-2 DAC to a Monarchy M-24 and really like the Monarchy, which is very nicely priced.  The Monarchy has RCA outs and I have an Audio Metallurgy pair of RCA->XLR interconnects and am happy with these.  I am trying to get Conceirto Violin Mk-IVs for everything except the speaker wire, for which I plan on keeping the Violin Speaker cables (mk-I).  I tried the Speltz speaker cables and while I was impressed for the money, they didn't have the mature warm sound of the Conciertos.  I am using a Concierto Grand for my digital, and will be upgrading to a Violin Mk-IV sometime in the near future.  Again, this sounded better than a Nordost SPM Reference and I recently tried a Monarchy DR-1, but the Grand sounded better, including better than a Speltz.  I am interested in trying the Grovers.  

My system:
Sony SCD-1
Monarchy M-24 DAC, w/Stock Phillips
BAT Vk-5i Preamp with 1960's RCA
    Blackplate 6L6GC and
    Telefunken ecc88's
Classe CAM 350 Monoblock Amps
Sonus Faber Guarnari Homage Speakers
In the process of installing Dedicated subpanel with 5 dedicated lines and Oyaide SWO-XXX outlets.  Will be purchasing 4 BCS Silver Ref.

Nice post!  :D

I've heard really good things about the Concierto Violins - specifically w/ Butler amplifiers - but I've never compared them with the Indra.  Grover's cables performed much better than I'd anticipated, I'm really looking forward to hearing the already-modified (:shock:) cables Grover is sending.  

BTW, congrats on the Silver Ref purchase.  You're gonna be *REALLY* happy, I can just about guarantee it!

-Jim

shrinkmore

Thanks Jim
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2007, 11:14:47 AM »
I'm really curious what you find with the Grovers.  Also, I forgot to mention that I also have a Rel Stentor - III, which fills in so much in my system.  There really is a magic in these subwoofers, a lot of ambient information.  The Conciertos really are great cables, but very pricey.  My impression is that not many people know about them?   I have yet to find something for which I like the sound more than these - mature, full, round, not harsh, with lots of detail.  It would be nice to find some less expensive cables that have as good of a sound.  

Enjoy,

Doug

Double Ugly

Re: Thanks Jim
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2007, 12:14:37 PM »
I'm really curious what you find with the Grovers.  
I'll be sure to post my thoughts after I've had time to properly compare and evaluate.

Also, I forgot to mention that I also have a Rel Stentor - III, which fills in so much in my system.  There really is a magic in these subwoofers, a lot of ambient information.  
Sounds like you've found a really nice set-up that provides what you want and expect from your system.

The Conciertos really are great cables, but very pricey.  My impression is that not many people know about them?  

I've only heard them mentioned once before, when someone recommended using them w/ Butler 2250s I used to own.  He said they were pricey, but that the synergy was amazing.  

I have yet to find something for which I like the sound more than these - mature, full, round, not harsh, with lots of detail.  It would be nice to find some less expensive cables that have as good of a sound.  
I'm right there with you.  What I'm hearing with the current cables is good, but not good enough to justify parting with the Indra.  That said, Grover is really excited about the new version he's sending.  We'll see.

He's also sending a pair of speaker cables he feels are as good as anything available, and they should be a perfect synergistic match with the ICs.  Despite the fact that I've mostly gotten out of the cable game since finding the Indra, Straley's speaker cables and John's awesome Silver Refs, I'm really looking forward to auditioning Grover's offerings.

Regardless of the outcome, remember that my opinions are my own, and are reflective of what I hear in my system and in my room.  It should not be construed as an indictment of Grover's cables if my wife and I determine the Indra is better.  Grover's ICs are the best I've heard at their price point and beyond, and IMO should be on the audition of list of anyone in the market.

-Jim

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
What are your favorite IC's and why?
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2007, 04:59:43 AM »
I'd be interested in a group buy...if that were a possibility.
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2007, 06:25:52 AM »
Steveofool,
The Group Buy for Grover's cables is coming soon.... :)
-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline rlmacklin

• Certifiable
latest Grover S IC cables
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2007, 12:20:32 PM »
Grover e-mailed me today that he is still working on the cables [latest iteration Grover S ICs] and he's made some changes in the silver content of the conductors. "Sounding way better." He also said to give him a couple weeks to finalize the cables.

Hopefully he will finalize them before the April 20th close of the Grover IC group buy.

calloway

favorite i/c's and why
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2007, 05:35:51 PM »
..as i am ..just today..new to this forum..i will be brief and let the replys follow my short input...i did read the previous posts.i am not familiar with 'grover cables' but am,very familiar with the 'indra'.this was,until recently,my source i/c and is,a superb cable....i have recently replaced all of my cables..starting with the pc's..1 at a time ..with jps 'aluminata' pc's and more recently their i/c's..i am currently auditioning their speaker cables. there is something to cable synergy..would not have believed it before but recent events have proven this ...to me,at least....i am somewhat of a cable junkey and have auditioned a great many of the so-called 'best cables'...the 'aluminatas' are ..by far ..the best i have heard...if you haven't read the recent review in stereophile it is very good.as to the 'why' they are the best..in my system..it's just all about the musical presentation..it is by far the most natural i have heard...anyway..just my thoughts

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2007, 07:32:39 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts, Calloway... and welcome to AudioNervosa. :)
It's nice to hear some new perspectives on cables.  
Looks like JPS makes these... http://www.jpslabs.com/aluminata.shtml
Thanks and hope to see you around.
-Carl

shaizada

« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2007, 12:07:21 AM »
Actually, I am really curious to see Double Ugly post his impressions as well in comparison to his reference cables.

Double Ugly

« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2007, 06:44:53 AM »
Quote from: "shaizada"
Actually, I am really curious to see Double Ugly post his impressions as well in comparison to his reference cables.
The second pair of ICs were good, but in truth didn't fare as well as the first.  A third version (in just over a month :shock:) was never sent, nor were the oft-promised "amazing!" speaker cables.

FWIW, here is a snippet from the e-mail I sent Grover -

Kandy and I finally had a chance to compare the cables tonight, and  though it was closer in some ways than I'd anticipated, the Indra are  simply better in my system.

Specifically, with the Indra the highs were clearer (most apparent on  well-recorded piano material, but noticeable on other material -  cymbals and triangles specifically), the bass was cleaner (less  obvious bass, but clearer and more articulate), and there was more  depth and organic presence in the midrange.

Other comments included the soundstage being wider and deeper (Kandy  specifically mentioned the feeling of being surrounded by one of her  favorite recordings), the Indra making the instruments "more real" or  removing a veil (this was noticeable on virtually every decent  recording this week), and finally the Indra seemed to make each  instrument more 'visible' without negatively affecting the  homogeneous nature of the presentation (i.e. all instruments were  clearly separate and defined, but the sections all came together  musically as one instead of sounding like a group of isolated  performers).

As I said above, the now (at least) 2 version-old pair of ICs were better than the second in our estimation.  I have no idea how the 3rd (or 4th, or whatever) iteration compares.

-Jim

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2007, 05:00:42 PM »
I've been through the last 3 versions and it went like this:

1st: good, detailed, extended, but had a slight 'edge' or hardness in the highs.  These are black.

2nd: better, same as above but no edge. (these were white with black heatshrink)

3rd: best, detailed and extended but with more midrange clarity and instrument separation... a well-balanced sound.... very transparent and fast without any edginess. (these are white with white heatshrink and are the ones being delivered as part of the group buys)

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2007, 09:15:21 PM »
Quote from: "Carlman"
3rd: best, detailed and extended but with more midrange clarity and instrument separation... a well-balanced sound.... very transparent and fast without any edginess. (these are white with white heatshrink and are the ones being delivered as part of the group buys)

I agree with your thoughts. These are by far and away the best Grover has done to date.

Grover, run with this design for at least a year before any further updates.....trust me on this! If you want to continue to improve, do it behind the scenes and in a year or so, launch a revision if you feel you have to.

Just my two cents. :D