Author Topic: What are your favorite IC's and why?  (Read 25308 times)

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
What are your favorite IC's and why?
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2007, 05:41:13 AM »
I can't wait to try some myself... Sorry to say I haven't gotten the group buy for Grover's cables together yet... and if anyone is willing to organize it, feel free to step up.  Between the T-shirts, BSC group buy, site admin stuff, and running my business, I just haven't had the capacity to add another project into the mix.

Thanks,
Carl
I really enjoy listening to music.

Double Ugly

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2007, 07:27:25 AM »
Quote from: "lonewolfny42"
Care to "loan" me the Grover's for a listen ? Thanks..... :wink:
Absolutely not!  Given your generosity over the years, how could I or anyone else turn you down?!?  :lol:

However, it will be a while before I can ship them ... that OK?  Grover and I agreed a couple of days ago that the comparison should continue, in part to give me more time, and in part because he wants me to listen to them with a pair of speaker cables he's sending.  I won't have those for a couple of weeks, and then it'll be a few weeks before we're finished with our comparisons and analysis.

If you don't mind waiting, I'll send 'em to you as soon as I'm finished, Chris.  Otherwise, I'll see if I can convince Grover to send a pair out to you.

-Jim

lonewolfny42

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2007, 10:18:41 AM »
I can wait Jim.....thanks !! 8)

Double Ugly

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2007, 12:22:13 PM »
Quote from: "lonewolfny42"
I can wait Jim.....thanks !! 8)

Thanks, my friend.  I wish I could sent 'em out today, but I promised Grover I'd spend some more time with 'em, and try 'em with the speaker cables.

If it's alright with you, I'll probably speak to Grover about sending you a pair anyway.  So far (again, these are preliminary results), I think they're great, a lot better than Straley's ICs in my system.  I think Grover has a lot to gain by sending you a pair, especially if you were to send them on a round-robin audition kind of thing when you're finished.

Would you be game for that?

-Jim

lonewolfny42

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2007, 12:59:25 PM »
Would you be game for that?

Sounds good to me Jim.....thanks. :D

(Back later tonite....paperwork is done...)

Offline mca

• Certifiable
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2007, 06:09:05 PM »
Can we get some basic info on the Grover IC's? Build, wire (copper, silver or mix), connector type, cost, etc?
Modwright Transporter, Ayon Spirit II Integrated, Daedalus Ulysses speakers, Running Springs Haley conditioner, Reality cables, Black Sand Violet PC's.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2007, 06:15:38 PM »
I know cost! :)

Length.................RCA.........XLR.........Digital RCA
.5m....................$130........$195........$75
1m,....................$150........$220........$90
1.5m,.................$170........$245........$105
2m,....................$190........$270........$120
2.5m..................$210........$295........$135
3m.....................$230........$320........$150

Can you tell I've been working on group-buy details? :)
I really enjoy listening to music.

Double Ugly

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2007, 08:26:06 PM »
Quote from: "mca"
Can we get some basic info on the Grover IC's? Build, wire (copper, silver or mix), connector type, cost, etc?
He doesn't have a website, and all I know about 'em is how they sound.  

Truth is, I'm not sure if anyone aside from Grover knows the build details.  Hopefully he'll check in here and share.

grover

grover cable
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2007, 09:01:11 AM »
Hi everyone, I'm thrilled that my cables are being discussed here. I’m especially indebted to doubleugly for his willingness to compare my cable to the magnificent Indra. As you can see by my prices I desire to make my cables available to as many music lovers as I can. I have been making cables for 10 years now. I started off professionally with a personal endorsement of Steve Hoffman and his forum. I'm not making a lot of friends in the industry with my prices, but this is a new time, the Internet has started a change that will be very good for us. My cables are a hybrid copper silver combination, in a patent pending design. I have been fighting with the USPO for over 2 years now; they just do not want to give patents to small guys like me. I'm sure big business has a very streamlined means to patents. You should see the already patented cables they claim are based on my design it's truly ludicrous. I hope this patent dance will end soon with my patent. Then all can see my design. I can say this I use very carefully prepared ribbons of the finest materials, in a unique original design.

shep

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2007, 10:14:48 AM »
I don't have a favorite because I've only got one pair! DH Labs Silver Sonic, bought cheap of Ebay.fr. Turnedout a gut bought a roll of unfinished cable and terminated them himself. I send a picture to DH LAbs and they grumpily agreed they were properly made except the guy got the directionality backwards. Nice cable but not the last word and since my system is very cable sensitive (how do I know? It told me so) I'm interested in anything reasonable/wonderful. So is Grover's the answer to my dreams? I'm putting my foot in it...once again we have the "problem" of nice, well-liked makers on a forum. How the hell do you say publically "I didn't like that"? THis has totally gotten out of hand on AC. I posted about the sacred cow syndrome. That went down so well that I got exactly one reply telling me all is hunky dory. Not true! There are already a bunch of you here, speak up. How will you feel if someone politely trashes your labor-of-love? In the meantime, the price is just barely right (for my budget) for a short length. Grover is this just one offering, one design? That's it? How are we Carl as to a group buy on this or is it too soon?

Offline mca

• Certifiable
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2007, 10:34:29 AM »
And you make speaker cables also?
Modwright Transporter, Ayon Spirit II Integrated, Daedalus Ulysses speakers, Running Springs Haley conditioner, Reality cables, Black Sand Violet PC's.

grover

grover cable
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2007, 02:29:14 PM »
I make a new design of speaker cable.  Bi-wire is my highest performing speaker cable utilizing dedicated cables designed specifically for their function. Normally speaker cable is a compromise, to reproduce the lowest bass a heavy gauge cable is necessary, however this adversely affects the mid-highs. With dedicated bi-wire the mid-high cable is designed to only transfer this range. The bass cable the bass. Without the compromises, an accurate fast and open presentation is obtained.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
anticables
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2007, 03:12:39 PM »
First Post for me here!

I use Paul Speltz anti-cables on speakers and ICs and I think they sound excellent, and not just for the money. They are cheap and awesome as many people have discovered. Perhaps Grover's sound even better.  I would be interested in comparison. I understand anticables is developing a silver version of interconnect. They use round signal conductors, not ribbons like grovers.

I agree with Grover that the days of cable hype and even brand hype for other components are ending with the advent of internet audio forums, but "big cable" will fight it to the end.  There's a lot of money in that racket.

I like the idea of large and small diameter cables for different frequencies, makes sense. I also trust Steve Hoffman's opinion. I have same speakers as him.  :D

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2007, 06:08:42 PM »
I understand and agree with the guage concept - heard it too many times.   However, for those of use who have not the ability to biwire, what is our option?  To me, it's a combo cable  with multiple guage and copper on the + side and silver for a low impedance path to ground on the return side.  Thoughts?

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Double Ugly

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2007, 08:38:03 PM »
Quote from: "bpape"
... for those of use who have not the ability to biwire, what is our option?  
New speakers?  :wink: