Author Topic: CARTRIDGE HUNT  (Read 9086 times)

Offline steve

• Audiologist
Re: CARTRIDGE HUNT
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2020, 02:54:55 PM »
   Cool Steve. BUMMER. It appears that both the Delos and Kleos are out of stock at the US distributor. Waiting sucks.

charles

Hi Charles,

I hear you. I wish someone would pickup production of this cartridge and perfect STR needle. Last I heard some are replacing their needles with elliptical. Arg.

Besides lower overall cost, all the parameters pertaining to the sonics are just superb. Of course, the $200 cartridge, late 70s, would probably sell for $2000 now. I hate inflation.

cheers
steve
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2020, 05:59:50 AM »
Apparently Mike Fremer said the Kleos is the best "value" in the Lyra line, gives you near-everything at a price well below the Atlas without losing much that their flagship provides. Of course, value is always a relative term. it's still expensive.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2020, 07:35:35 AM »
  Yes expensive at list price. It was suggested I look at the Kuzma line. It appears the Kuzma CAR40 & CAR50 might have an edge on Lyra. Shhhh ! It mates with my arm very well to boot. Using a Kuzma Stogi S 12" arm.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2020, 10:47:02 AM »
choices, choices  :rofl:
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2020, 11:09:55 AM »
choices, choices  :rofl:

Thank goodness.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2020, 07:47:06 PM »
Still love my Shure Ultra500 cartridge with the original Shure stylus.

See them on Ebay periodically and Jico makes the microridge stylus replacements.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2020, 08:41:52 AM »
  After thinking about spending crazy money on a new Cart I have decided not to. Why ? After listening to my LPs and same CDs I have concluded Analog has one advantage. Small but evident. LPs deliver a more 3D stage. That is it in my experience. Digital is quieter, same tonality and harmonics. Bass is better with Digital as well.
 But, but I could have better than before ?? Well slightly and for the money spent maybe not smart. The Cart I have a Golden Note Boboli MM suits me well. I have no issues with Cart. So with that in mind decided instead to try another phono stage.
  Using a SS Creek SE with outboard power supply. MM 44db and MC 70db.  An overachiever that never got its due. Just got in an Audio Hungary Qualiton tubed phono a two box affair with MM and optional MC card. To be continued. www.audiohungary.com

charles
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 08:43:27 AM by rollo »

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2020, 08:08:34 AM »
  Doug thanks for input. I was not clear as to the Phono I use. I stated Creek SE only because I could not remember the Creek model. It is the Creek  Wyndsor SS Phono-preamp with outboard power supply. Totally adjustable, gain, Cap, load.   Both MM and MC. The cart is a Golden Note Boboli. $1200  when available The Boboli is a neutral affair. The Creek is a neutral affair. Both detailed. So was thinking that a rich character cart. may be a better solution.
  So my choice of a new cart to match Creek OR new phono to match Boboli. With the arrival of the Audio Hungary phono preamp an all tubed unit with outboard SS power supply the game is on. When my Sinus condition goes away I can compare phonos and make a decision, then a decision can be made. The Qualiton phono is $4700 list plus $500 for MC card. The Cart I'm considering is either $3600 or 6K.
  Why ? Is the real question for me. With a State of the Art Digital front end that compares quite well with my analog rig is it worth it. Only I can answer that I guess. However suggestions never hurt.

charles

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2020, 03:22:40 PM »
  Doug thanks for input. I was not clear as to the Phono I use. I stated Creek SE only because I could not remember the Creek model. It is the Creek  Wyndsor SS Phono-preamp with outboard power supply. Totally adjustable, gain, Cap, load.   Both MM and MC. The cart is a Golden Note Boboli. $1200  when available The Boboli is a neutral affair. The Creek is a neutral affair. Both detailed. So was thinking that a rich character cart. may be a better solution.
  So my choice of a new cart to match Creek OR new phono to match Boboli. With the arrival of the Audio Hungary phono preamp an all tubed unit with outboard SS power supply the game is on. When my Sinus condition goes away I can compare phonos and make a decision, then a decision can be made. The Qualiton phono is $4700 list plus $500 for MC card. The Cart I'm considering is either $3600 or 6K.
  Why ? Is the real question for me. With a State of the Art Digital front end that compares quite well with my analog rig is it worth it. Only I can answer that I guess. However suggestions never hurt.

charles

Charles - Perhaps you might try to find a used high end MC cartridge (such as Lyra)... Once you "re-calibrate" your ears with analogue, you'll definitely notice something is "missing", when converting digital to analogue, even on a high end digital rig...

My $0.02,
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2020, 07:08:35 AM »
  Certainly a consideration. Jury still out. Thanks guys.

charles

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2020, 12:32:43 PM »
  Grado has perked my interest with its Ref 3 and Aeon Cart. Movig Iron. I have a new phono stage, The Audio Hungary Qualition. Tubed with outboard SS power supply.  MM and MC boards.
  Either back to MC with Lyra OR MI with Grado.

charles

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2020, 01:08:05 PM »
   Nothing wrong with SUTs at all. just need the right one. The better ones are costly. Considering a MI as grado holds the patent on MC however does not sell them. Interesting.

charles

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2020, 12:00:13 PM »
  Now the Grado Statement is on the short list. I need to get out of this F'n house already before I bankrupt myself with Audio. At least Lps will sound better.

charles

Offline mrubey

• Seeking Help
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2020, 03:46:44 AM »
Now there is a Grado Statement 3 which I seriously considered. Its about half the price of the Koetsu at $3500. I am just coming from a Grado Reference 2 which totally blew away all of my expectations. It was a great cartridge. BTW, The Grados are neither mm nor mc but mi, moving iron. Joe Grado invented moving coil. The family owns the patents yet they build only mi carts. Soundsmith also builds only moving iron. Peter Lederman in one of the seminars on YouTube shows a photo the smallest coil of any mc cart next to the largest moving part of any mi cart they make. The mc has 5x more mass.
The whole thrust of cartridge evolution is toward less moving mass. I haven't heard them all of course but simply based on theory I believe mi is the pinnacle of current cartridge engineering. There is a reason Grado owns mc and collects royalties on every mc built within the reach of US patent law yet they build only mi carts. More than one reviewer has proclaimed the Grado Epoche to be the best cartridge ever made. The Statement 3 is the same design with less exotic parts.
Back to Soundsmith....My next cartridge is a Soundsmith Paua. It is similar to the Grado Statement 3 in that it is also third from the top, is the same design as the flagship with less exotic parts and is a similar price. $4K, currently on sale for $3K. The one thing Soundsmith offers that made the sale to me is very affordable rebuilds. <20% of cost of cart for cart to made like new. I won't be looking to upgrade in 3 or 4 years......or ever.

Ah is it nobler to choose MM or MC. The hunt is on. Looking at Grado Statement2 or Koetsu Urishi, Lyra Kleos or Kiseiki. Using an Audio Hungary tubed phono with both MM and MC cards. Arm is Kuzma 12" VTA adj. Any input ???

charles
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 03:48:43 AM by mrubey »
Cube Nenuphar, First Watt SIT3, The Truth linestage, Sutherland 20/20, VPI Classic 2, Soundsmith Paua, Ortofon 2M White SE mono, Triode Wire Labs full loom.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2020, 08:24:50 AM »
  Good to know thank you.

charles