Author Topic: What are you listening to right now?  (Read 3027450 times)

jsaliga

Re: What are you listening to right now?
« Reply #5115 on: November 24, 2011, 05:46:54 AM »
More than just a trumpet album Gene.  The compositions, arrangements, and playing (not just Baker's) really come together on this record.  I'd love to get my hands on a Riverside deep groove pressing but they are very hard to come by.  That said, the Analogue Productions reissue is very nice.

--Jerome

jsaliga

« Reply #5116 on: November 24, 2011, 05:47:50 AM »

Speakers Corner 180g vinyl reissue.

--Jerome

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #5117 on: November 24, 2011, 06:02:45 AM »
I see/hear what you mean, and what a supporting cast!

The label on the lp says it's a 'microgroove'. yet album cover says it's an OJC/Riverside issue, so that must be a re-issue, right? Regardless, very nice on a holiday morning.

More than just a trumpet album Gene.  The compositions, arrangements, and playing (not just Baker's) really come together on this record.  I'd love to get my hands on a Riverside deep groove pressing but they are very hard to come by.  That said, the Analogue Productions reissue is very nice.

--Jerome
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #5118 on: November 24, 2011, 06:04:00 AM »
Ditto, (though not 180g in my case).

Analogue Productions 180g vinyl reissue.  This is one of my very favorite jazz trumpet albums.

--Jerome
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

eleazar

« Reply #5119 on: November 24, 2011, 06:09:50 AM »

jsaliga

« Reply #5120 on: November 24, 2011, 06:10:46 AM »
The label on the lp says it's a 'microgroove'. yet album cover says it's an OJC/Riverside issue, so that must be a re-issue, right? Regardless, very nice on a holiday morning.

It's an Original Jazz Classics reissue.  That isn't a bad thing Gene.  They do a really nice mastering job that is usually very faithful to the original pressing.  I have had the chance to compare a few OJC vinyl reissues to some Prestige and Riverside deep groove pressings and honestly I could barely tell the difference.  The OJC reissues might loose out a little to a 180g pressing because the former may have a little more surface noise, and a 45 RPM pressing will be quieter and have a smidgen more resolution.  Since most OJC vinyl reissues sell for less than $15, you get a lot of great music for your money.  I have about a hundred of them and spin them all the time.

--Jerome
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 06:45:38 AM by jsaliga »

eleazar

« Reply #5121 on: November 24, 2011, 06:34:37 AM »
Symphonic Metamorphosis

jsaliga

« Reply #5122 on: November 24, 2011, 06:40:11 AM »

Speakers Corner 180g vinyl reissue.

--Jerome

jsaliga

« Reply #5123 on: November 24, 2011, 07:34:29 AM »

Original Jazz Classics vinyl reissue.

--Jerome

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #5124 on: November 24, 2011, 07:45:00 AM »

It's an Original Jazz Classics reissue.  That isn't a bad thing Gene.  They do a really nice mastering job that is usually very faithful to the original pressing.  I have had the chance to compare a few OJC vinyl reissues to some Prestige and Riverside deep groove pressings and honestly I could barely tell the difference.  The OJC reissues might loose out a little to a 180g pressing because the former may have a little more surface noise, and a 45 RPM pressing will be quieter and have a smidgen more resolution.  Since most OJC vinyl reissues sell for less than $15, you get a lot of great music for your money.  I have about a hundred of them and spin them all the time.

--Jerome

+1

The OJC series is one of the best buys out there in the vinyl world. I grab them whenever the opportunity presents itself.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #5125 on: November 24, 2011, 08:41:18 AM »
I hear you there Tom.

I've played it 3 times this morning in background as I try to bring my desktop back to life with an image, (finally found the hack to get it to 'accept' the image from my server), and preparing my 1st ever turkey. It seems like a great album, and quiet, and all I did was spritz it with Discwasher fluid and run the Discwasher brush over it.

And I get a kick out of the fact the original OJC clear wrapper is still on it, with a suggested list price of $5.98 new, and I paid $8 used for it at the Allentown crackhouse. But it's $8 well spent.  :thumb:

Offline tmazz

« Reply #5126 on: November 24, 2011, 09:01:38 AM »
Paul Simon: Negotiations And Love Songs (1971-1986)

CD
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 09:08:52 AM by tmazz »

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #5127 on: November 24, 2011, 09:08:32 AM »
And of course being Thanksgiving I have a moral obligation to play this.....

CD

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #5128 on: November 24, 2011, 11:11:30 AM »
And of course being Thanksgiving I have a moral obligation to play this.....

CD

Ditto in our house. It's an annual tradition.

jsaliga

« Reply #5129 on: November 24, 2011, 12:37:55 PM »

And I get a kick out of the fact the original OJC clear wrapper is still on it, with a suggested list price of $5.98 new, and I paid $8 used for it at the Allentown crackhouse. But it's $8 well spent.  :thumb:

That's an old repressing that you have Gene, probably from the 1980s.  OJC was started by Fantasy Records back in 1983.  Current retail price on OJC vinyl is $12.95.  I usually get them for a little less but don't mind paying a few bucks more for them if they are out of print.  Of course, there are some scalpers on eBay who list them for considerably more.

I fear that OJC vinyl, and even the label, might be dead.  Concord (now the parent label of OJC) has not issued any new vinyl in several months, and has stopped selling OJC products on its website.  Everything is now linked to Amazon and a number of recent titles are out of stock or listed as unavailable.  I sure would like to know what that is all about.

--Jerome