Author Topic: What are you listening to right now?  (Read 3027401 times)

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
Re: What are you listening to right now?
« Reply #4725 on: October 13, 2011, 03:52:47 PM »
Dammit  J., I think I had that one in hand and put it back.

I'm gonna say it was kinda banged. I don't remember if that's true, but I'm gonna say it anyway.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #4726 on: October 13, 2011, 03:54:37 PM »
Cuban Fire
Stan Kenton | Format: flac
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #4727 on: October 13, 2011, 04:07:08 PM »
Heard this last night at a friends house.
Perhaps the best recording ever made regardless of genre. :drool:
and the music ain't too shabby either :thumb:

http://www.classicrecords.com/item.cfm?item=LDS%206065-45-200G-CLARITY
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #4728 on: October 13, 2011, 09:17:31 PM »
Heard this last night at a friends house.
Perhaps the best recording ever made regardless of genre. :drool:
and the music ain't too shabby either :thumb:

http://www.classicrecords.com/item.cfm?item=LDS%206065-45-200G-CLARITY

Absolutely agree. I only have the 33 1/3 version, but The Nutcracker side has long been my reference standard for classical recordings.

Unfortunately it has been out of print for quite a while and a clean copy of The Royal Ballet is likely going to cost you a King's ransom.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline tmazz

« Reply #4729 on: October 13, 2011, 09:30:22 PM »
The Glory of Gershwin

Mercury CD

A collection of Gershwin standards done by modern artists like Sting, Peter Gabriel, Elton John, Elvis Costello Jon Bon Jovi, Carly Simon, Cher, Meatloaf and more. Nice SQ, Nice performances. I really enjoyed it.

Got it for a quarter at the Crack House. but you can pick one up on Amazon for as low as a penny. :shock:

http://www.amazon.com/Glory-Gerswhin-Gershwin/dp/B000025D7S/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1318566075&sr=1-2

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #4730 on: October 14, 2011, 08:03:00 AM »
James Taylor: One Man Band

CD

Nice acoustic live album featuring songs form throughout Taylor's 40+ year career.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #4731 on: October 14, 2011, 10:23:06 AM »
Tri-Fi: 3

CD

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #4732 on: October 14, 2011, 11:51:32 AM »
Jim Brickman: Beautiful World

CD

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

jsaliga

« Reply #4733 on: October 14, 2011, 01:23:58 PM »

Music Matters 45RPM 180g Blue Note reissue.  An incredible recording that's brought to life on this high quality pressing.  Highly recommended.

--Jerome

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #4734 on: October 14, 2011, 01:57:06 PM »
The Cooker
LEE MORGAN (Artist) | Format: Vinyl

A nice clean copy I got on RSD and forgot I had.

jsaliga

« Reply #4735 on: October 14, 2011, 03:41:12 PM »

Whenever I spin one of these minty vintage pressings I wonder how they could possibly be improved by remastering.  This album was produced by Orrin Keepnews, and recorded and mastered by Ray Fowler.  Fantastic record.

--Jerome

jsaliga

« Reply #4736 on: October 14, 2011, 04:36:36 PM »

Some of the most important music of the bop era can be found on this set.  Sound quality is a little uneven on the early discs in the set and there's a little too much NR in spots.  But it's still a must have set for Charlie Parker completists such as myself.  Listening to some of the sessions for Dial at the moment and the sound is remarkably good.

--Jerome
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 04:46:51 PM by jsaliga »

jsaliga

« Reply #4737 on: October 14, 2011, 05:00:11 PM »

Listening to disc 1 of this 7 CD boxed set from Mosaic.  The sound quality is excellent and the music is priceless.

--Jerome

jsaliga

« Reply #4738 on: October 14, 2011, 06:15:34 PM »
I thought about starting another thread for this but decided not to because I doubt I will be motivated to do this regularly enough to make it worthwhile.  So I hope you will all be tolerant of a little diversion.

Tonight I decided to compare the 45 RPM 180g ORG reissue of this Johnny Hartman recording to a minty original Impulse! stereo pressing that I recently acquired.

I own a large number of vintage vinyl pressings from the 1950s and 1960s.  To my ears, this is the high water mark for vinyl microgroove records.  I don't buy reissues because I think a remaster will improve the sound.  The folks who were doing recording and mastering work in the 50s and 60s really knew their craft and it seems extremely doubtful to me that someone such as Steve Hoffman, Bernie Grundman, or Doug Sax is going to come along decades after the fact and improve their work.  I buy reissues mainly because originals in good shape are too scarce and just too costly to acquire.  The price of a genuine Blue Note deep groove pressing with a W63rd Street address on the label that is in NM condition is typically well over $100, and depending on the artist it can run several times that.  So to me $50 for a high quality 45RPM Blue Note reissue can be a true value.

I use a SOTA Star Sapphire turntable.  It's a Series III that is about 20 years old.  The tonearm is a SME 309.  I use a Ortofon Jubilee MC cartridge and a Ray Samuels Audio Nighthawk phono preamp.  The RSA nighthawk is the only solid state component in my system.  My preamp and mono block power amps are tube driven.

On the left is the original 1963 Impulse! pressing and on the right is the ORG 45 reissue.  The jackets are practically identical with the exception that the original is a little faded and the laminate has picked up a little bit of haze.  But heck the thing is almost 50 years old.

My main motive for doing this particular comparison is that I found the ORG 45 reissue to be a little bass heavy and a tad smoky on first listen.  I thought then that if I had a chance to buy a nice original pressing for not a lot of money then I would do so and compare them.  Most of the time when I listen to these 45's I am in audio heaven, and would never feel the need to compare one to an original pressing.  But with this one I felt something was amiss.  I landed the minty original 1963 pressing for $16, purchased on eBay.  I was really surprised it wasn't bid up any higher than that.

The reissue sounds excessively warm and smoky when compared to the original.  The bass heaviness of the reissue was also confirmed on comparison.  The original has nice bass response, but not excessively exaggerated like the reissue.  I also felt the original was a little more resolving than the 45, especially on the piano and guitar.  Cymbals sounded bit more natural on the original, whereas on the reissue they sounded a little more hazy.  This really has me wondering about the source tapes that were used by ORG for the reissue.

My preference is clearly for the original in this instance.  The ORG reissue is disappointing when directly compared to the Impulse! original.

--Jerome

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #4739 on: October 14, 2011, 06:51:23 PM »
" I was really surprised it wasn't bid up any higher than that."

Well, it is only Johnny Hartman after all. I've got one thing of his everyone raves about, I find it "meh".

Interesting comparison though, if not mastered from different tapes, maybe the ORG engineer was just a little 'ham-fisted' at the controls.

I like my Impulse releases, wish I had more.

You did clean the stylus prior to putting on the ORG version, right???