Author Topic: What are you listening to right now?  (Read 3027192 times)

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
Re: What are you listening to right now?
« Reply #4035 on: August 18, 2011, 07:50:56 AM »
Rich -

Sean Parque - the Skiing Ninja -  turned me onto Radio Paradise back a year or so, I really like it. I have the 192kbps stream setup in my DUET, it has limited availability, maybe 400 people can access it at anytime, but it does sound a little better than 128kbps.

http://radioparadise-west.malor.com:8017/radioparadise

Radio Paradise @ AAC 128kbps. Sounds is pretty good, wide variety of different music.

http://www.radioparadise.com/

Stream I'm using on Sonos: http://scfire-dtc-aa06.stream.aol.com:80/stream/1049

"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #4036 on: August 18, 2011, 09:52:02 AM »
K. D. Lang 'Live in London'

As an experiment, ripped the audio PCM track from this BD disk, converted the WAV to FLAC, added the FLAC to my media server for Squeezecenter to find, and playing it via DUET through my 2 channel system.

Used tsMuxeR to rip from disk, so it 's converted as 48/16, but still sounds good. And I now don't have to power up the ht system to hear it, or other BD concert disks, a big win.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #4037 on: August 18, 2011, 12:05:01 PM »
I only have one complaint about this CD. Musically and sonically it is what you would expect from Coltrane and Prestige, but only 36 minutes on a CD? You would think they could have at least filled some some space with alternate takes from the same sessions.

Original Jazz Classics reissues 1950s and 1960s Prestige, Riverside, and other jazz label recordings with their original LP track listings (hence the name).  I have hundreds of CDs from OJC and appreciate what they do.  A lot of the titles they have are just about impossible to find on vinyl in anything close to playable condition.

http://www2.concordmusicgroup.com/artists/label/Original-Jazz-Classics

Adding bonus tracks means more production costs since somone has to go over all of the session tapes and decide which, if any, unissued tracks should be included.  I bought most of my OJC titles direct from Concord Music Group for $7.99.  It seems that Concord has struck some sort of deal with Amazon.com because they no longer sell CDs directly from their website.  A lot of the titles I was buying for $7.99 from Concord are selling for $8.99 and $9.99 on Amazon.  I can't say I'm too happy about that.

--Jerome

Oh, I agree about the OJC series. It is great stuff (I guess that is one of the reasons I wish there was a bit more music on the discs.)  A lot of them were originally mastered for CD in the late 80s, before the concept of bonus tracks really came into favor.

As for the Concord move to Amazon, I guess they were simply not moving enough products via their web site to justify its continuing operation. Record companies are essentially wholesale businesses and I guess they figured it would make more sense for them to leave the online retailing to someone who could do it with better economies of scale. Unfortunately, with more people along the delivery chain the prices to tend to creep up as everybody wants a piece of the pie. Similar trends are beginning to be seen all across corporate America as companies they spent a lot of time diversifying their operations are now in light of the economic downturns carefully evaluating the costs and profitability of everything they do and in many cases spinning of divisions and outsourcing functions to bring their business back in closer to their own core competencies.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline tmazz

« Reply #4038 on: August 18, 2011, 12:24:08 PM »
Walter Davis: Please Remember Me 1930-1947

CD

I figured that given the timeframe that these recordings were made in they would be intersting from a historical perspective, but pretty horrible sounding. But I was pleasantly surprised with the SQ. Granted they do not sound like present day audiophile recordings but given that they are 1930s & 40s productions I thought they sounded pretty darn good. Musically it is an enjoyable collection of small combo blues.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline richidoo

« Reply #4039 on: August 18, 2011, 12:35:26 PM »
Thanks Gene. I'll try the 192mp3 stream also. The AAC stream is supposedly really good quality also, even though it is smaller. It's the one that Radio Paradise seems to think is the best.

The fun thing about the station is the eclectic quality of the music choices. It's really all over the place, but most of it is pretty good, many artists are new to me.

Offline tmazz

« Reply #4040 on: August 18, 2011, 12:43:07 PM »
Richard Galliano Septet: Piazzola Forever

CD

This is kind of a bizzare disc. It is kind of classical/jazz/ethnic folk fussion music played by a string ensemble lead by an accordion.  :-k (Come on BobM, you know you want a copy.  :drool: )

Hey, for 50 cents out of the library discard bin I can afford to be adventurous once in a while.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #4041 on: August 18, 2011, 12:44:30 PM »
The fun thing about the station is the eclectic quality of the music choices. It's really all over the place, but most of it is pretty good, many artists are new to me.

Expanding your musical horizons is always a good thing. Let us know if you come across anything off the beaten path that really stirs your interest.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline richidoo

« Reply #4042 on: August 18, 2011, 12:48:37 PM »
Will do!!

Offline tmazz

« Reply #4043 on: August 18, 2011, 01:57:11 PM »
Etta Jones Sings the songs of Buddy Johnson: My Buddy

CD

Etta Jones' tribute to Buddy Johnson, who gave her her start in show buniness when he hired her to tour with his band when she was just 16. Good music, good performance, good SQ.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

jsaliga

« Reply #4044 on: August 18, 2011, 02:13:03 PM »

This lovely little CD complies 16 songs that featured Billie Holiday with Lester Young.  You can buy it on Amazon.com for $5.98.  Highly recommended.

--Jerome

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #4045 on: August 18, 2011, 02:24:56 PM »
Not sure they qualify as off the beaten path, but 2 groups I began collecting as a result of exposure to them on RP are Porcupine Tree and Silversun Pickups.

PT is a prog rock outfit led by guitarist Steven Wilson, and SSPU is an alt rock quartet out of  LA.

Expanding your musical horizons is always a good thing. Let us know if you come across anything off the beaten path that really stirs your interest.

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #4046 on: August 18, 2011, 02:25:56 PM »
In Stockholm [Import]
Miles Davis, John Coltrane | Format flac

Offline tmazz

« Reply #4047 on: August 18, 2011, 02:46:46 PM »
Tommy Dorsey: Sentimental

CD

This is one of those MCA budget CDs that gives you absolutely no information about the disc other than the track names, so I have no idea who is playing on this album and when it was recorded, but it is still a good CD for anyone who enjoys music of the Big Band era.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #4048 on: August 18, 2011, 04:47:21 PM »
Made In The Shade
The Rolling Stones | Format: Vinyl

Gonna try to sneak this in, but there's lightning on the horizon.

Might be a 'read a book' night.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #4049 on: August 18, 2011, 07:57:39 PM »

MUTEMATH -"MUTEMATH"