Author Topic: What are you listening to right now?  (Read 3028399 times)

jsaliga

Re: What are you listening to right now?
« Reply #3675 on: July 03, 2011, 09:13:03 AM »

It took a certain degree of courage for me to even admit that I like this record.  I don't really know why.  Lyrically the songs are totally insipid.  Musically, well let's just say that I don't normally go for this sort of thing.  Anyone who has seen a Wang Chung music video would probably agree that these guys look like a couple of doofuses -- heirs to the throne of the kingdom of nerds.  And that's being rather charitable.  Some of their songs sound like fairly blatant rip offs of Michael Jackson.  But one thing that Wang Chung does really well is strike up a dancable beat with an infectious groove.  Ok...I'll go hide under a rock for a bit.

--Jerome

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #3676 on: July 03, 2011, 11:09:18 AM »

It took a certain degree of courage for me to even admit that I like this record.  

Don't sweat it. Based on the demographic here at AN, you were aged somewhere between 16 and 28 when Wang Chung were at their peak.  Those are the years when pop (even not so good pop) has the most influence.  A song reminds you of an incident, a moment, a time, a place or just a feeling, but it will stay with you and pull you back to the memory.  If you were alive in the '80's and at all involved in American culture, you couldn't avoid Wang Chung.

The first time I ever heard my beloved B&W 802's, they were being abused by "Dance Hall Days."

My guilty pleasure: George Michael's "Faith." Brilliant pop from beginning to end.

eleazar

« Reply #3677 on: July 03, 2011, 11:16:06 AM »
The Proclaimers – Sunshine On Leith

LP

"I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)"  was just a catchy tune

jsaliga

« Reply #3678 on: July 03, 2011, 12:01:38 PM »
Don't sweat it.

I wasn't really worried that I would be disowned here because of a guilty pleasure or my tastes in music.  I have a truckload of one hit wonders and guilty pleasures.  Makes no matter to me what someone else thinks of them.  The only person they need to please is me.  8)

--Jerome
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 01:12:31 PM by jsaliga »

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #3679 on: July 03, 2011, 12:41:12 PM »
I love pop music. It makes me feel young.

eleazar

« Reply #3680 on: July 03, 2011, 12:59:55 PM »
Don't sweat it.

I wasn't really worried that I would be disowned here because of a guilty pleasure or my tastes in music.  I have a truckload of one hit wonders and guilty pleasures.  Makes no matter to me what someone else thinks of them.  They only person they need to please is me8)

--Jerome

Absolutely correct. I 've unplugged my rig now for the 3rd time today due to bad t'storms

jsaliga

« Reply #3681 on: July 03, 2011, 01:22:49 PM »

Who knew there would come a time when you didn't play an instrument to make music....you programmed it.

--Jerome
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 01:25:23 PM by jsaliga »

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #3682 on: July 03, 2011, 05:26:53 PM »
Wagner: Der Ring des Nibelungen [Box set]

11 lps from 1950, and a bottle of Cab.

Opera, here I come!
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #3683 on: July 03, 2011, 06:07:38 PM »
Well, not right away, a t-storm rolled through and I had to shutdown.

Try #2 then?!?
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline richidoo

« Reply #3684 on: July 03, 2011, 06:43:30 PM »
Max Roach

The Chicago Scene  on LP

eleazar

« Reply #3685 on: July 04, 2011, 06:24:57 AM »
The Electric Banana Blows Your Mind

CD

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #3686 on: July 04, 2011, 08:35:30 AM »
Beethoven: Symphony No. 9
Elisabeth Schwarzkopf (Artist), Hans Hopf (Artist), Ludwig van Beethoven (Composer), Wilhelm Furtwangler (Conductor), Bayreuth Festival Orchestra (Orchestra) | Format: vinyl

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #3687 on: July 04, 2011, 11:09:53 AM »
Sorry guys, I guess I don't get to play in this weekend's challenge. I am stuck out at the Hospice and limited to listening to the CDs they have on hand  on the all-in-one $89 system in the family lounge. No vinyl for me right now. But they actually have a number of decent CDs in the collection, so while the fidelity is not great, at least the music is, and that is at least something to help me chill out a bit.

The Legendary Bobby Darin

CD

All of the Bobby Darin albums I have at home cover only the Rock/Pop Top 40 type things he did. This disc also contain a lot of the music that the performed in his later years that was more like Frank Sinatra than Chubby Checker. I had never listened to any of this before and it is actually rather well done (from a musical standpoint anyway. I can't comment on the SQ went listening on a system that cost less than any one of my power cords.  :duh - although I did listen for a bit through my Grado SR-60 headphones plugged into my laptop and it did not sound horrible, so there is hope.  [-o<)
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #3688 on: July 04, 2011, 11:12:02 AM »
Tony Bennett: Duets, An American Classic

CD
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

jsaliga

« Reply #3689 on: July 04, 2011, 11:23:45 AM »
Beethoven: Symphony No. 9
Elisabeth Schwarzkopf (Artist), Hans Hopf (Artist), Ludwig van Beethoven (Composer), Wilhelm Furtwangler (Conductor), Bayreuth Festival Orchestra (Orchestra) | Format: vinyl

What label is that on, Gene?

--Jerome