Author Topic: What are you listening to right now?  (Read 3027621 times)

evan1

Re: What are you listening to right now?
« Reply #2520 on: April 14, 2011, 02:03:42 PM »
Chris Rea -Blue Guitars

This set was over 200.00 bucks last year and now down to under 50.00 :duh

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Guitars-Dvd-Chris-Rea/dp/3937406328/ref=sr_1_38?ie=UTF8&qid=1302814826&sr=8-38

eleazar

« Reply #2521 on: April 14, 2011, 02:20:19 PM »
King Crimson ~ In the Court of the Crimson King

CD

jsaliga

« Reply #2522 on: April 14, 2011, 02:21:11 PM »

--Jerome

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #2523 on: April 14, 2011, 02:24:58 PM »
Chris Rea -Blue Guitars

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Guitars-Dvd-Chris-Rea/dp/3937406328/ref=sr_1_38?ie=UTF8&qid=1302814826&sr=8-38

I get a laugh out of these kind of listings on Amazon. 3 dealers are selling this set brand new for under $50 and one guy thinks that his copyis worth $476.  :duh (I could maybe see it if the $476 one was a rare first edition or something like that , but the listing goves no indication that it is anything other than a plain run of the mill copy.)

And all 3 of the used sets are selling for over $70.  :wtf:

Don't these guys even look at the other posting for the same item before they come up with an asking price?
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

evan1

« Reply #2524 on: April 14, 2011, 02:32:33 PM »
Chris Rea -Blue Guitars

I get a laugh out of these kind of listings on Amazon. 3 dealers are selling this set brand new for under $50 and one guy thinks that his copyis worth $476.  :duh (I could maybe see it if the $476 one was a rare first edition or something like that , but the listing goves no indication that it is anything other than a plain run of the mill copy.)

And all 3 of the used sets are selling for over $70.  :wtf:

Don't these guys even look at the other posting for the same item before they come up with an asking price?

I guess it depends on when they posted the item for sale. I know this was hard to get in the U.S. for a while and Amazon had it for sale last year for over 200.00. I know thats what Lonewolf paid last year for it. I  got my copies from him.

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #2525 on: April 14, 2011, 03:03:07 PM »
Kind Of Blue 200g 33RPM LP [Original recording reissued, Original recording remastered, Limited Collector's Edition, Special Limited Edition, HiFi Sound]
Miles Davis (Author, Performer) | Format: Vinyl

Thanks jsaliga! :thumb: How far are you from the Bison ranch off of rt 6?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 03:05:14 PM by etcarroll »
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

jsaliga

« Reply #2526 on: April 14, 2011, 03:11:52 PM »

Outstanding recording.

--Jerome

jsaliga

« Reply #2527 on: April 14, 2011, 03:16:05 PM »

Just a few miles.  How's the record sounding?

--Jerome

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #2528 on: April 14, 2011, 03:31:39 PM »
Have it on at low volume while I warm up the tubes, haven't had my system on since Sunday as I started a new job Monday and been too busy to just sit and listen.

Side one seemed pretty good nonetheless.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

eleazar

« Reply #2529 on: April 14, 2011, 03:35:15 PM »
McCoy Tyner with Stanley Clarke and Al Foster

CD

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #2530 on: April 14, 2011, 06:06:15 PM »

Just a few miles.  How's the record sounding?

--Jerome
Side 2 outstanding.

Just finished the taxes and e-filed, so going to pour a stiff drink, and sit down to listen critically.

eleazar

« Reply #2531 on: April 14, 2011, 06:34:37 PM »
The Oscar Peterson Trio 
The Modern Jazz Quartet
At The Opera House

LP

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #2532 on: April 14, 2011, 08:01:58 PM »
Jerome -

Much Thanks!

Just listened to this start to finish, it's superb!  :clap:

I seem to recall there was an issue with this album being mastered at wrong speed, that was addressed with later reissues such as this.

Whatever, I just spent the last 40+ minutes lost in the music, was it this recording having the proper speed, the fact the Mullard tubes in my phono-pre have broken in, the WyWires I'm auditioning have finally settled down, a combo of all these, I don't know. Maybe the fact I had gotten tired of the 'forced listening' I had been doing trying to evaluate new tubes, ICs and PCs had soured me on listening to just the music - and taking 4 days off let me 'reboot' my auditory senses. Whatever it was, I just had one of the most enjoyable listening sessions I've experienced in some time.

Yes, there's a few pops at start of final song, but it's not a showstopper for me.

Gene

Just missed a 200gr version, there is a 180 gram version - is there an appreciable difference?

I really doubt there is that much of a difference between 200g and 180g, other than the 180g records had a lower defect rate than the 200g LPs.  I have a number of Classic Records 45RPM pressings (not of Kind of Blue, but several others) and they are nice if you are lucky enough to get one without pressing defects -- which was my greatest pet peeve with Classic Records.

It just so happens that I have a spare 200g pressing of Kind of Blue that you could shake loose from me if you like.  As I recall it had a couple of mild ticks before the last track on the B side, and being the total AR audiophile that I am I just had to have a perfect copy and bought another one.  If you're interested I could play it and give you a more accurate report.

--Jerome

jsaliga

« Reply #2533 on: April 14, 2011, 08:18:22 PM »
Jerome -

Much Thanks!

Just listened to this start to finish, it's superb!  :clap:

I seem to recall there was an issue with this album being mastered at wrong speed, that was addressed with later reissues such as this.

Whatever, I just spent the last 40+ minutes lost in the music, was it this recording having the proper speed, the fact the Mullard tubes in my phono-pre have broken in, the WyWires I'm auditioning have finally settled down, a combo of all these, I don't know. Maybe the fact I had gotten tired of the 'forced listening' I had been doing trying to evaluate new tubes, ICs and PCs had soured me on listening to just the music - and taking 4 days off let me 'reboot' my auditory senses. Whatever it was, I just had one of the most enjoyable listening sessions I've experienced in some time.

Yes, there's a few pops at start of final song, but it's not a showstopper for me.

I'm delighted that you enjoyed the record.  That's what it's all about.

And your recollection is correct.  On side one of the original release the pitch is off.  I have an original Columbia 6 Eye pressing of Kind of Blue.  I also used to have a Columbia 4-track 1/4" tape of it as well, but last year I decided to unload my open reel tape deck and sold off all my tapes, including KOB.

Here's an interesting read from Stereophile that you might enjoy...

http://www.stereophile.com/thefifthelement/206fifth/

--Jerome

« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 08:21:42 PM by jsaliga »

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #2534 on: April 14, 2011, 10:47:08 PM »
Here's an interesting read from Stereophile that you might enjoy...

http://www.stereophile.com/thefifthelement/206fifth/

--Jerome

What a great article. I got goosebumps just thinking about getting an invitation like that. Talk about the chance of a lifetime! :shock:

A number of years back I had the opportunity to go to Gene Pope's home to hear some of the PopeMusic master tapes.  That sound was nothing short of amazing. I can only dream what it must be like to hear the master tape from a watershed album like "Kind of Blue".  :yay2:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables