Author Topic: wtf!!!!!! Logitech kills the SB Touch??  (Read 8192 times)

Offline machinehead

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • Affordable Web Design & Development
wtf!!!!!! Logitech kills the SB Touch??
« on: August 30, 2012, 07:56:59 AM »
No replacement... I dont get it, do you? I love my SB Touch.

http://www.audiostream.com/content/did-logitech-just-kill-squeezebox
Its cool ndude.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: wtf!!!!!! Logitech kills the SB Touch??
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 10:14:59 AM »
iPhone, iTunes, iCloud, Pandora, broadband wireless make SB obsolete. The brand isn't worth much either with the music industry moving to software.

All hardware players will go the same way as online music services grow in features, and resolution.

Instead of sitting on their hands milking Slim Devices creativity, Logitech should have used their computer expertise to put the Squeezebox brand on top. They ignored emerging technology and competitors. There biggest weakness, they still rely on an external server, while Sonos has been autonomous for 6 years. There is no bluetooth in Squeezebox to stream from cellphones, but they have plenty of bluetooth expertise for their computer peripherals. They could have bought an emerging music streaming service like Spotify 2 years ago and named it Squeezebox Music Service but they don't want to be in the entertainment business, they just want to make cheap consumer electronics.

You have to innovate to survive. Entertainment is a big business and technology for delivering it is moving to a small handful of the biggest companies who can afford to develop technology that will entice us. Apple is the largest company in the world, but if iPhone only made phone calls that wouldn't be true.

Offline machinehead

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 05:05:40 PM »
So... How would I get my music from the upstairs computer to my audio system downstairs?
Im not bleeding edge... I could get a laptop and share iTunes libraries and go usb out, but thats basically using a laptop as a SB Touch of sorts...

What is the non SB Touch method, while having the library on a desktop computer?

I get the software and branding bit for sure. I could use the company I work for who built software for a 3rd rate product when they should have standardized on what is available now.
Its cool ndude.

djdube525

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 05:34:06 PM »
What is the non SB Touch method, while having the library on a desktop computer?

Well... I think that's it... the library is moving from the PC to the cloud. Whether it's sitting on an apple server after you've ripped it, or you're leveraging an online streaming service (Pandora/Spotify)... the idea of needing content housed locally is moving by the way side.

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 05:37:52 AM »
Dammit - Logitech just sent me a Touch to replace my Duet that died while under warranty. Now the Touch is gone? Guess I need to get a backup.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 06:55:42 AM »
Sonos used to be a difficult decision when Squeezebox was much less money with similar function. Only people who were frustrated with all the Squeezebox problems would pay the premium for Sonos piece of mind. That was before people had smartphones and you would have to buy a Sonos remote to see the library in your hand. Now that you don't need the Sonos remote, the Sonos player is similar price to Squeezebox but it doesn't need a separate computer running its software, it is self contained. I own the Sonos remote, but I don't use it much anymore, just at the dinner table or back porch. We have 6 devices in the house that can control the Sonos.

Many people are moving to small silent computers in the music system to do the chores of the media player. It offers additional functionality, better sound quality with ASIO drivers, and library storage. But it does cost more and still requires another device to remote control it. Most people are leaning toward tablet computer for remote. The media player is still the best value to get computer music into the system.

Offline machinehead

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 09:22:57 AM »
So I would need a Mac mini which would do the same job... could I run it headless or would I need a monitor too. hmm.

The cloud is great if your in a variety of locations. Im just not sure how dependable that is it the net goes down and Im not fooling around with mp3 quality. I want cd qual at least.
I do love the fact that if I take a pic with my phone it goes to all my devices. Very sweet.

Does that work with music too, as I havent tried it?
Its cool ndude.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 09:32:27 AM »
Logitech will be on the hook to support Squeezebox, LMS and MySqueezebox.com for at least several more years, if for no other reason than to support warranties.  What happens to the Squeeze technology during that time is anyone's guess but I'm betting we haven't seen the last of it.  Remember that the software is all open-source and many folks have mastered the art of "improving" the Squeezeboxen.  Some may even see this as an opportunity.

I've been a long-time Squeezebox fan and am not ready to dump it anytime soon.   In fact, if I see any fire sales on the Touch, I'll likely jump at it.  Personally, I do not see serving music from the cloud as a viable path for hi-res playback anytime soon.  Great for MP3s but that's not what I want.

But time will tell how this will all play out.  Logitech has certainly opened the door to competition. 

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 05:35:41 PM »
I always liked having my files streamed from my own collection of .flac files.  I'm not willing to pay however much it would be to host the 700Gig library elsewhere.  Nor am I willing to rip everything to tiny mp3's to be streamed.  

There's no way I can play my music library in the rest of the house without a Slim/Squeeze or Sonos solution.  So, I will continue to use my current SB3's until they die... which could be tomorrow.. could be years from now.  At least Sonos plays .flac and I know I can move to that solution... I just don't think they sound as good as the SB3 personally.  

Something like the Duet is all I really need functionally (but I would like it to have a nice built-in DAC like the SB3)... I would want the device to use my current music directory to play music and be controlled by a phone.  That's what I do now.

I plan to move to a solution like this in my main system, using a tablet and small player/specialized Linux computer.  But that is a LOT of work compared to an SB3.  I think the market still exists but Logitech isn't in the market of producing audiophile grade solutions, it wasn't a good fit.  Sonos is right on the money with how they market themselves... Bose will be on their heels before you know it... to bring 'streaming music' to the old timers... you'll see it in Sky Mall next time you fly. ;)

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 07:27:38 AM »
To me, having the interface and the storage on the same device, like the Sonos is a drawback, not a benefit.  I like having a single repository that can be accessed from multiple devices and locations.  I like that it can be controlled from the iphone, ipad, etc.  It also gives the the freedom to upgrade my devices or my storage independently and not have to do everything at once.

As for the 'cloud', that's great when you have outside connectivity.  If my outside network is down, I still have music now from my server via my internal network. 

Just my 2 cents.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

mgalusha

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 09:01:42 PM »
Not sure how good they sound in the context of high end, but the stuff from Grace Digital will play from local drives, a server, internet radio and some have analog inputs on the back as well for an FM tuner or iPod. Flac, wav, aiff and others up to 24/96.

http://www.gracedigitalaudio.com/compare_internet_radios.php

I bought one of the Bravado-X for my garage along with a pair of Pioneer BS-21 speakers and am quite happy with the results. Remote is included but they have iOS an Android apps available for your phone. I chose it specifically because it doesn't need a server, just the box and an internet connection.

Offline Scott F.

• Seeking Help
  • ...DOH!....DOH!....DOH!
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 07:29:57 PM »
Mike,

The WiFi FM Tuner looks pretty interesting. I can't tell if the FM is HD or not. It has both analog and digital outs plus it can do a USB or SD card

Amazon has them for $169 bucks :thumb:
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 07:38:11 PM by Scott F. »
My brain hurts.....

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 10:12:13 AM »
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline woofersus

• Certifiable
    • East Street Audio
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 01:22:01 PM »
Mike,

The WiFi FM Tuner looks pretty interesting. I can't tell if the FM is HD or not. It has both analog and digital outs plus it can do a USB or SD card

Amazon has them for $169 bucks :thumb:

That's very interesting.  Anybody know if that will stream music from a windows home server?  Does it require any external software or is it just using dlna? (which wouldn't work on the original server 2003-based WHS)  Every device I've tried that was supposed to play music over my network using dlna has sucked.  The reviews on Amazon seem pretty high on sound quality, but pretty much everybody hates the interface.  Drilling down and picking one file at a time is generally why I don't use my blu-ray player to stream music.

Also, if anybody is offended enough at Logitech's actions to dump off their squeezebox touch or boom on the cheap, let me know. ;)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 01:28:01 PM by woofersus »
Tim Evans
East Street Audio
Onix, Melody, & ACA

mgalusha

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 08:23:45 PM »
The interface does suck, a 4 line display doesn't cut it but the interface on a phone or tablet isn't too bad. I have only used it for internet radio but it should play from a WHS as long as there is an unprotected file share according to the manual, no DLNA messing required.

That's very interesting.  Anybody know if that will stream music from a windows home server?  Does it require any external software or is it just using dlna? (which wouldn't work on the original server 2003-based WHS)  Every device I've tried that was supposed to play music over my network using dlna has sucked.  The reviews on Amazon seem pretty high on sound quality, but pretty much everybody hates the interface.  Drilling down and picking one file at a time is generally why I don't use my blu-ray player to stream music.

Also, if anybody is offended enough at Logitech's actions to dump off their squeezebox touch or boom on the cheap, let me know. ;)