Author Topic: PCI Sound Cards  (Read 3980 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
PCI Sound Cards
« on: June 23, 2011, 10:01:05 AM »
http://www.avguide.com/review/the-absolute-sound-card-survey-tas-213

I found this very interesting. It compares the features and SQ of 7 cards. The winner is one of the least expensive tested.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 10:03:45 AM by richidoo »

djdube525

Re: PCI Sound Cards
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 06:01:44 PM »
Ahh... I used to have the ESI Juli@... I thnk I sold that when I was looking for some quick cash... I kinda regret that decision...  :duh  it was/is a very good bang for the buck pci card.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 05:51:06 PM »
Weird... I cannot imagine the Juli@ sounding better than a Lynx.  That's just nutty.  I guess everyone's system is going to do things differently.. not sure how everything was configured exactly.. but sounds like the Juli@ card really worked for him in his system.  Good 'bang for the buck' would be what I'd expect but not better than a card 3+ times the cost, that is the gold standard for many 2-channel audiophiles. 
However, I've heard the RME sound dreadful.. .so, who knows? 
Anyone here using the Juli@ that's compared it to others?

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

manaox2

Re: Re: PCI Sound Cards
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 10:27:00 PM »
I was tempted to get the Julia just to tap into its i2s feed for a low jitter computer slaved asynchronous input for a DAC if possible.

mgalusha

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 07:30:34 PM »
I've had a Juli@ for several years and never tried it in my audio system. I purchased it to use in my shop for measuring since it was 24/192 capable and could theoretically manage ~94kHz. I did use it as part of my SACD recording rig but when I bought a dedicated PC for that it didn't have a PCI slot and I picked up a TC Sounds Impact Twin that uses an IEE1394 interface. Imagine my horror when I made a comparison of the captures of the Juli@ vs the TC and the much less expensive Juli@ sounded better. Turns out using the optical input on the TC is a much better choice and that made it very difficult to tell them apart. Mebbe I should take my shop computer into the listening room to see how the Juli@ sounds, the PC is noisy as hell but if it rocks a quiet version could always be built.

The Juli@ is what Bryston is using in the BDP-1 as is Auraliti.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 08:49:57 PM »
The Juli@ is what Bryston is using in the BDP-1 as is Auraliti.

Hmmmmmmm.... very interesting! Please report if you try it in your system.

Did you really record DSD to your computer? Never heard of that short of Sonoma software or a VAIO laptop.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 06:31:38 AM »
Sigh... so a new audio PC is in my future... Too much pc-building and sound card stirring about it around here to ignore now.. ;)
I really enjoy listening to music.

mgalusha

Re: Re: PCI Sound Cards
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 07:19:11 PM »
I took the PCM stream from the oppo bd -83 and captured that as 24/88.2. There is a long thread on AC about using an HDMI de-embedder to get the pcm out and converted to spdif.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

Offline richidoo

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 07:11:21 AM »
Thanks, I'll look for it