Author Topic: a road less travelled  (Read 3714 times)

shep

a road less travelled
« on: February 16, 2010, 02:39:12 AM »
At least by me. I've decided to switch allegiance! gulp...My guy in England is expensive and the results are just not worth the money I've sunk into my old Marantz. I discovered this guy in Poland http://www.lampizator.eu/. His site is an amazing one, full of detail and opinion and experience. Not only that but he is far cheaper than my English modder and far more inventive and knowledgeable. For around 250$ he will take my cdp to the limit, including tubes! HO HO I enter the rhelm of the glowing bottles by the small back door.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: a road less travelled
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 06:03:07 AM »
 What Will he be doing that the other gent did not ? You may consider if possible the new Sabre 32 bit chip. Pulse transformer [75 ohm] at digital input and removal of any digital filters. Remove all circuitry for Video if present, a Paul Hynes power supply and voltage regulators.
 A separate power supply for each stage of regulation would be ideal. It depends how far you want to take it.
  If it were me I would use the Marantz as a transport and look into a Bolder modded Art DIO. Beat the new Oppo SE hands down. Or a Oritek DAC. Just playing the Devils advocate here. As you have already experienced one does NOT know what the sound will be until after the money is spent. It can be neverending.
  But but the price is attractive so what to do ? Tubes, well then maybe.  :thumb:

charles
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 06:20:59 AM by rollo »
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

shep

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 06:47:57 AM »
I guess  you weren't looking! tubes! It's an ancient machine, from 95' so no Saber, no video etc. seriously old fashioned 16 bit, the kind of thing he likes best to mod. My guy wouldn't get into tubes. Doesn't believe or doesn't want to go there, whereas this guy is a tube buff.

shep

Re: a road less travelled revisited
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 05:37:08 AM »
So....I gave up on the Pole and his tubes and found an interesting alternative: namely I'm getting a DOS board made for me by http://www.raylectronics.nl/index_en.html. This is actually a replacement for exactly what the tube stage was supposed to do but is easier to build in and cheaper. Then I will send both this and the machine back to the North of England to my chap http://www.audioupgrades.co.uk/ to put it all together, with still better caps and power regs. Phew! the things our Nervosa makes us do! Silk purse from a sow's ear...

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: a road less travelled revisited
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 08:31:13 PM »
Then I will send both this and the machine back to the North of England to my chap http://www.audioupgrades.co.uk/

Hopefully this time it will not travel via Memphis.   ](*,)
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

shep

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 01:21:50 AM »
Oh God I have forgotten the snowy road to Memphis (Damascus?) Why did you have to remind me!!! I'll pray hard first. Anyway this is a go go situation from all parties. The DOS board has to be populated first, then and then and one day back to me. Apparently this is a MAJOR upgrade. I think it will work on all older CDP's. Not sure though. For the DIY'ers among you, this is not a hard upgrade to do although you need to check with Ray first.