Author Topic: What are you listening to right now?  (Read 3026623 times)

jsaliga

Re: What are you listening to right now?
« Reply #3870 on: July 27, 2011, 02:14:05 AM »
That's what I already said.

I know.  That was me just thinking outloud.  The discussion reminded me of the time I spent in the Middle East.  It wasn't just music that was pirated.  Computer software wasn't sold so much as it was copied.

--Jerome

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #3871 on: July 27, 2011, 06:31:04 AM »
Listening to more of the Mosaic set of Lee Morgan/Wayne Shorter, got an email announcing the new album by jazz trumpeter Randy Brecker, never heard of him. Anyone know his body of work?

http://www.jazziz.com/news/2011/07/26/randy-brecker%e2%80%99s-ballads-album/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+JazzizMagazine+%28Jazziz+Magazine%29
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #3872 on: July 27, 2011, 07:22:46 AM »
Listening to more of the Mosaic set of Lee Morgan/Wayne Shorter, got an email announcing the new album by jazz trumpeter Randy Brecker, never heard of him. Anyone know his body of work?

http://www.jazziz.com/news/2011/07/26/randy-brecker%e2%80%99s-ballads-album/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+JazzizMagazine+%28Jazziz+Magazine%29

I only have two albums I can think of off hand that he played on. In the late 70s - early 80s he put out an album with his brother Michael as The Brecker B rothers entitled "Detente". It was a pop/disco /jazz album anlong the same lines as George Benson's "Give Me the Night". Originally released on Arista it was later picked up by Direct-Disk Labs, who released a half-speed mastered version of the album.

He was also plart of the all-star big band that Quincey Jones put together for the Sinatra Album "LA is My Lady" and is in fact mentioned in the lyrics of "Mack the Knife" in the part where Sinatra acknowledges members of the band:

"We got George Benson,
Newman foster
We got the Brecker Brothers'
And Hamp bringin up the rear"

But other than these two releases I am pretty much in the dark about his career as well.

More info here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Brecker

Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline tmazz

« Reply #3873 on: July 27, 2011, 07:28:34 AM »
Yes: Close to the Edge

LP

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

jsaliga

« Reply #3874 on: July 27, 2011, 07:35:44 AM »
Here's a bio of Brecker on Allaboutjazz.

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/musician.php?id=5276

--Jerome

Offline richidoo

« Reply #3875 on: July 27, 2011, 07:36:17 AM »

Brecker is a very good player, been around 3 decades. He is Michael Brecker's brother, they had a band called Brecker Brothers. It is a modern style of trumpet, he plays some straight ahead jazz, and some rock oriented crossover. Some of it is excellent, some of it is boring or just sad. You have to check out the samples before you buy it.  Technical skill is 7/10 with Freddie at 10/10, chops are 6/10 where Maynard is 10/10.

Other current trumpeters of his type of playing would be Tim Hagans, Jim Rotondi, Eddie Henderson.

vids: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=randy+brecker&page=&utm_source=opensearch

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #3876 on: July 27, 2011, 07:56:17 AM »
Yes: Close to the Edge

LP

Video of the Steve Howe Trio performing a jazzy version of Close to the Edge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLEAqR8FOPE

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #3877 on: July 27, 2011, 11:11:59 AM »
Thanks Rich, that was the kind of feedback I was looking for - "Technical skill is 7/10 with Freddie at 10/10, chops are 6/10 where Maynard is 10/10."

After listening to the 3rd disk in the Morgan/Shorter set, (it kicks butt), can't see going backwards in my jazz trumpet listening.

Hey Tom - Do you actually have those 2 albums? You're one scary dude at times, right up there with Bill!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 11:14:32 AM by etcarroll »
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline tmazz

« Reply #3878 on: July 27, 2011, 11:33:07 AM »
Hey Tom - Do you actually have those 2 albums? You're one scary dude at times, right up there with Bill!

Not only do I have both albums, I knew where each one was and could put my hands on both of them in less than a minute.

Sometimes I even scare myself.  :rofl:

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline richidoo

« Reply #3879 on: July 27, 2011, 12:11:39 PM »
Gene, I wouldn't say Randy is backward progression, anymore than Booker is backward to Clifford. Just different.  He seems to be leaning more toward jazz these days than his previous inclinations,  because jazz/rock is even more dead than straight-ahead jazz. So the new record might be OK, on par with most other new releases. That is to say, technically interesting, with no soul or balls. I would wait for the Amazon samples, or hit his earlier recordings at his peak.

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #3880 on: July 27, 2011, 12:33:25 PM »
I've always considered the Breckers as sidemen.  Randy and Michael have played with all kinds of artists: Aerosmith, Parliament, Paul Simon, Lou Reed to name a few.  They are passable as sidemen and rarely lessen the quality of a performance; sometimes vastly improving the synergy. The music they create on their own, however, tends to be less interesting.

7/10 indeed.

eleazar

« Reply #3881 on: July 27, 2011, 01:45:50 PM »
The Zombies

Goggle image 1965 Parrot Stereo LP                                                                                                
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 01:47:55 PM by eleazar »

Offline richidoo

« Reply #3882 on: July 27, 2011, 02:07:37 PM »
I was fortunate to see Michael in some small hole in the Village like 55 or something like that, playing electric soprano, a couple years before he died. It was interesting, and the audience was quite captivated and hysterical over him. I had heard Bill Evans (sax) play a night of hard bop a few months earlier, which totally shook me to the core, Brecker didn't do that, nor Eric Alexander, nor any of the new tenor stars.

Offline tmazz

« Reply #3883 on: July 27, 2011, 11:23:40 PM »
Coweboy Junkies: Open

CD

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #3884 on: July 27, 2011, 11:38:38 PM »
Gladys Knight: Before Me

CD

I saw this at the library and immediately thought that an album of Gladys Knight doing old jazz standards could prove very interesting. Well that anticipation quickly turned to disappointment upon playing the CD. Knight's vocal performances were just not up to the standards I expected given her R&B work. Her phrasing just always seemed a bit off with many awkward pauses.

Another time where I was glad I got this from the library and didn't have to lay out money to find out about this.  8)

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9