Author Topic: Slow PC  (Read 7337 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Slow PC
« on: June 13, 2017, 06:12:44 PM »
This is funny... My Lenovo T420 benchmark test.

Yeah, it's old. But very well made, and cheap cheap cheap. I just bought one for my daughter for <$200. I keep it because I love the old style Lenovo laptop keyboard. But in the last few days it suddenly got real slow.

A benchmark test doesn't really mean anything, except comparing to modern hardware. Doesn't explain why it suddenly got slow.

Offline richidoo

Re: Slow PC
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 06:14:57 PM »
It snot that old. It has i5, 4GB, Win7. Usually pretty snappy.

Scanned with Malwarebytes Antimalware. Nothing weird running that I can see in task manager.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 06:41:23 PM »
What OS is it running?

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 09:00:35 PM »
Rich,
I use MBytes as well. I have no idea, but would a scan in safe mode be useful? Have you considered reverting to a restore point?
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline richidoo

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 09:38:18 PM »
What OS is it running?

Win7 SP1

Offline shadowlight

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 06:38:03 AM »
Rich, check the task manager for CPU utilization to identify the heavy users and also take a look at the disk usage?  My desktop i5 3xxx system comes to a grinding halt due to 100% disk usage when I start JRiver as front end for HQPlayer.

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 06:56:55 AM »
Does it seem slow to you outside of the test? It looks to me that they are no giving you any real data on how fast your computer is running, but rather just how it compares to some sort of measurement of how fast it is running compared to some sort of benchmark of how fast other people's computers are running. If that is the case you could be running at the exact same speed as the day you got the machine and that test would drop on a consistent basis as more and more higher speed machines came into the market.

looks more like  a weasel marketing tool designed to convince you to buy a new machine than an objective test that can be used to assess the health of the one you currently have.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 09:33:34 AM »
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 32bit has been slow here running IE11 for awhile.  Intel Core 2 Duo with 2GB of memory on my laptop.  Cannot expand the memory, so that is about all it can do.  Running the default Intel graphics processor.

Last update yesterday from Microsoft did not seem to change anything. 

Have not tried Win 10 and 64bit OS on it like on the Music Server.  That seems faster on even a lower end processor like the Intel N2600 with 8GB of memory. 

Probably swap memory limited at this point here.  To much hard drive access for fast operation.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 09:59:21 AM »
My daughter has same laptop with Win10 I'll compare them. Thanks!

Downloading windows updates now, maybe that will fix.  :roll:

Offline malloy

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • no grave concern for repercussion
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 09:48:37 PM »
Hi richidoo,

Are you tied to Windows as an OS? I have an ancient IBM T60 has 3Gb of RAM that was running WIN 7 with all the latest bios and updates. I gutted it for a Linux Mint install. Much better.

I still have a low end Toshiba with Win 7 64 and 2gb of ram (a slow AMD) that progressively became slower as I added programs. Even a lightweight antivirus made it excruciatingly slow. Had to partition it and dual boot with another Linux distro.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2017, 09:53:04 PM »
I killed every process, now it's fast. Some app is playing naughty!

EDIT: Thanks malloy, that's a good idea. I was thinking about that too. I'd have to consider whether I could kick the winders. Mine's i5, 4G, should be OK for Win7. Thx!

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2017, 08:50:10 AM »
I was frustrated with one of mine too. I went to AMD and uploaded the latest updates for the chipset. After the download, it took a dozen shutdowns/restarts every night for over a week before it finally settled down. Seems much better now.