Author Topic: Decisions Decisions  (Read 14289 times)

Offline jbtrio

• Certifiable
Re: Decisions Decisions
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2014, 10:54:33 AM »
Yeah Charles I agree with you somewhat. Some SET set-ups can be colored, slow,overly warm, but SET done right is just so magical. Pete's and Jim's are two that come to mind. I think mine falls in that category.

The Franks are fast, dynamic, detailed, but portray music in an natural organic way. They are full of life and have beautiful tonal shadings.

Neutral means different things to people. Acoustic music to me should have a full, rich, natural tone. If that is colored so be it.

Personally, what people call neutral is thin and hifi sounding to me. Been there done that. It has that wow factor but gets tiring after a while. When the music sounds right tension in your whole body goes away, IMHO.

Soon as the weather gets better, I'll have some of you LI guys over for a listen. I wish I can have a full Rave, but you know my room wouldn't accommodate it.

Don't forget the Limoncello! LOL

Joe
VPI classic3,3d arm, Lyra Kleos SL,K&K maxxed-out phonostage,Quadratic MC-1 SUT,Mola Mola Tambaqui Dac, Jay's Audio CDT-2 Mk.3transport,Supratek Sauvignon preamp,Frankenstein 300b mk.2 amps,FW SIT-3 amp, Purepower 1500+,Horning Eufrodite Ellipse speakers

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2014, 07:48:32 AM »
  If we drink the Limoncello first all will sound great. Joe I fully understand your points.
   I think I need Maximillions 200W SET amps. Balls and beauty oh my !
    Joe agreed that done right SET can be glorious. There are trade offs no matter what we do. Just what we are willing to trade is the subjective part.
     I agree that neutral is misunderstood. What it means is nothing sticks out. A linear sound. Unfortunately for some odd reason neutral is used to describe lean. I despise lean, thin. Presence and dynamics with proper tonality of course is my bag.
     I'm well aware that we cannot get the dynamics of the real deal like a drum kit however as long as tonality and harmonics are there no matter.
     Looking forward to hearing your rig.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline TomS

• Certifiable
  • Yeah, it's just a hobby...
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2014, 07:59:18 AM »
Charles,

Just wondering if you've considered the Kingsound King III or even the big KS-10's in the mix? I heard the Kings briefly at Axpona in Chicago and they were very impressive. Crazy transparent and detailed, with great tonality, and no hint of "lean", whatever that is. I'd love to hear the KS-10's some day.

Tom
PS Audio Directstream DAC, PS Audio BHK Signature Preamp, Nagra Classic Amp, Focal Sopra No 2's, SVS SB16 Ultra

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2014, 05:29:25 AM »
Funny how the audio rags and the industry in general tend to lean toward a more detailed and analytical kind of sound. I guess it is the penalty for being a reviewer - you need so have ultimatel clarity to hear differences in how a component sounds so you can pick out minutia and write about it. When everything is top shelf and sounds pretty good to start I guess it's the little things that you need to point out, and that means ultimate transparency to hear them.

But the audiophile/music lover does indeed get tired of all that detail and analytic transparency over time. Eventually you just want to sit back and relax, get out of critical thinking mode and just tap your foot.  I guess what I'm saying is there is a place in the middle of both worlds that makes me smile, and that's where I'm going to put my money.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2014, 07:41:43 AM »
    Well detailed and analytical is certainly not for me. looking for a linear presentation meaning nothing no part of the frequency response  stands out from another. Another description is neutral. No not lean neutral to the source.
    Combine that with gestalt, proper tonality and harmonics and we have a winner. A continuous non mechanical sound.
     My preference revolves around the tweeter. If cymbals sound Hi fi not for me. If vocals have exaggerated sibilance not for me.
      So far the GTA and Analysis are the contenders. Leaning towards the GTA so far. Oh Greg where art thou ?

charles

Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

DaveC

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2014, 08:02:54 AM »
Detailed and analytical all the way for me... but it can't be combined with edginess, harshness or sibilance. And it doesn't mean the sound has to be thin, and the system doesn't have to be fatiguing either. I don't want a system that smooths over the details and makes poor recording sound ok, I want to hear exactly what's on the recording. But I also don't want to be annoyed and the presence of listening fatigue is a deal breaker for sure.

Also, I think the kind of speakers you are looking at rollo do all those things very well and are as close to perfect as you can get with maybe a few exceptions like an all-TAD system... a 6-figure system may never be in the cards for me financially, who knows?

But I DO think you like a detailed and analytical presentation at least to some extent... these speakers certainly provide a lot of detail and very little distortion!

« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 08:04:41 AM by DaveC »

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2014, 08:23:40 AM »
  An all TAD system is beyond my reach. Andrew Jones will be demonstrating his wares for our June Audiosydrome meeting.
   I agree that the speaker should not alter the sound. All CDs and LPs and not created equal sonic wise.
    Would like to rely on the source mre for flavor or character of sound.
     Garbage in garbage out is my motto.

charles

DaveC

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2014, 08:53:44 AM »
That's great, I wish I was close enough to attend! Nice guy and his system is the best I've heard by far.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2014, 09:29:51 AM »
  OK the winner ???? GTAudio works. Why ? Just truer to a live sound than the others. Soundlabs were cozy, seductive and colored.  The Analysis were just to big. The Omegas are smaller bit IMO less bass. They both require dual subs as well. GTA no sub need apply.
    Then there is the Kaboom for the buck factor.  Just no competition in transparency, dynamics, mid-bass and low bass. A linear presentation. over the entire frequency range. Seamless bass/panel integration.
     I'll put the GTA speaker against anything out there that I have heard for under $35,000 period. If you raise the price Greg I KEEEEEEEL you. Me and Achmad
    When in DA house come over and hear for yourself. Additions to stock model TWL internal wiring, Herbie's spikes and carpet sliders.
     There is basically no crossover involved. creek inductor and one cap.
       Amps you say. Any amp you like from SET to mega watt SS will do these justice.

charles

« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 10:54:32 AM by rollo »

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2014, 10:00:36 AM »
Congrats on your decision to buy them Charles. When are they expected to arrive? 

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2014, 10:55:21 AM »
Congrats on your decision to buy them Charles. When are they expected to arrive? 

That is up to Greg. Hopefully soon.  :thumb:

charles

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2014, 05:18:04 PM »
Congrats on your decision to buy them Charles...

+1 :thumb:
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2014, 05:23:41 PM »
+2; you finally made a great decision!  :thumb:
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2014, 06:17:06 PM »
+3

Can't wait to hear them.  :drool:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2014, 07:05:48 AM »
Congrats Charles. I guess the Pipes are DOA?
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.