Author Topic: Revel Performa3  (Read 22912 times)

Offline mfsoa

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Revel Performa3
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2014, 10:55:09 AM »
Planning on auditioning the 206s and 208s soon, as likely replacements for my recently departed Von Scweikerts.

Haven't read a bad word about 'em and appreciate the detailed comments made by Rich and Carl.  :thumb:

-Mike

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2014, 11:44:40 AM »
Mike, it will be interesting to hear your opinion of them, especially compared to the VS from your perspective, spoiled with nice tubes and well tuned system.

Since the Performas are marketed for high end home theater make sure you get a good amp on them for your audition. At our dealer's store the 206s were on a receiver and didn't sound terrific. We brought an amp with us, which outplayed the dealer's 5ch HT amp at his house with the 208s. But they liked the big power of the HT amp. 200W+ would be ideal. A stereo Cherry or something like that would be super sweet. Enjoy!!
Rich

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Response Audio
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2014, 02:29:10 PM »
I was over at Audio Classics the other day and while talking to one of the guys there, they had the Salon 2 running in the room being driven by about 1000 watts of McIntosh amifiers.
 I did not take the time to sit down for any critical listening but the detail I heard from these speakers was breathtaking.. I have heard other Revels there and they all seem to be very nice speakers.

The one speaker they had sitting to the side which I would really like to spend some time with was a large ppair of beautiful piano black $50,000 Snell speakers. They apparently bought the entire remaining inventory of these speakers when Snell's parent company did away with Snell. They would look soooo nice in my system :drool:
Design Engineer
Response Audio NY
Custom Vacuum Tube Deaign
www.ResponseAudioNY.com

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2014, 07:20:20 AM »
For that price, just commission Kevin V to do a no-holds-barred design for your particular system and tastes. ;)
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2014, 08:02:08 AM »
For that price, just commission Kevin V to do a no-holds-barred design for your particular system and tastes. ;)

That would be cool.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2014, 04:01:25 PM »
Heard the F206 and F208 the other day. Different rooms but I sure liked what I heard and saw.

The F206s looked a little small and maybe not as substantial as I would like, but they were in a big space. The 208s looked just right but the room had a bass boom at one frequency that added  unwanted hangover to tom toms etc. May not be able to swing the 8s price wise but don't want to compromise and get the 6s and always wonder "what if..."  Sounds familiar, huh!!??

I really went to help my dad load his new Salon 2s  :drool: :drool: :drool: and set them up at this house but they wouldn't fit in his SUV  :duh.

Oh man did they sound nice though...

-Mike

Offline richidoo

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2014, 04:10:15 PM »
Glad you liked the 208s Mike!  I felt the same about the 206s, but I chalked it up to the Rx. Cherrys would make them sound bigger no doubt, but "physics," etc...   They come on the 'goner pretty often now. Recently saw a pair up your way.

What amp on the Salons? They are so transparent and power hungry so the amp makes a big difference. He sells Classe, right? That would be a nice combo.  8)

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2014, 04:32:57 PM »
We had big 600 watt Macs on them in a too-small room. Pushing a steady 60+ watts per the meters. Unfortunately for me his audiophile son, dad will use them with a new top-line Marantz HT receiver. I have been gently prodding that the speakers will be underpowered even though he can configure the receiver to biamp the front L and front R. (That's a feature I just learned about and am using on his old, now my new, Marantz 8001. Gotta love dads sometimes  :thumb:)

We did hook up the matching center channel speaker (Voice 2?) at this house and it sounded real nice.

I'd love to see him get some dedicated mono amps for the front 3 channels and power the back 2 w/ the receiver but that probably won't happen.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2014, 04:02:17 PM »
It's too bad he couldn't listen to the Salons with an HT receiver compared to the monoblocks before he bought 'em. Might've gotten you that receiver sooner. ;)

I didn't have any gripes with the 206's other than the room/environment.  I'm sure they'd be fine, especially with a pair of good subs.  I want it all.. and there just isn't a replacement for 12" drivers for bass.  I know that 6 and 8 make it easier to build the cabinet, though... you just lose the realism of it, though.  If you could put 2 speakers with similar response curves in the same room... with the same mid/tweeter arrrangement, but with a 12" driver instead of 2 or 3 8" drivers, you'd have a very different experience.  A 10 and a 12 would be even better... or a 12 and 15 - the ultimate. 8)

In room response is one thing, felt exprerience is another.  Thick and hefty bass with real depth and at the same time speed and accuracy.. require stiff paper 12"+ cones at the start of the design.

I loved the F208 in person. But in the end, I want even more realistic and detailed bass if I'm going to buy another pair of speakers. I want it be its own presence, not sound like a reproduction of bass.  I'm 95%+ satisfied with what I have.  It needs to take my breath away for me to change now. 

-C

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2014, 06:03:57 PM »
Just ordered F206s in walnut.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2014, 04:23:13 AM »
Yay!! Can't wait to hear your thoughts after they're dialed in a bit.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2014, 09:22:56 AM »
Just ordered F206s in walnut.

Enjoy man. Time for a Rave.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2014, 10:01:17 AM »
Congrats Mike!

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2014, 04:37:33 PM »
Charles and Everyone - Yes I do intend on having another (4th I think?) Rave once things are settled a bit.

I'm hoping the 206s will fill a 13 x 17.5' room but can always get a subby.

-Mike

Offline machinehead

• Affordable Web Design & Development
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2014, 06:17:12 AM »
Mike,
How did these turn out? Ive read the reviews and was still leaning toward the F52s though I have yet to hear the new line.
M
Its cool ndude.