Author Topic: Two custom speaker builds in the works  (Read 13682 times)

Ecramer

Re: Two custom speaker builds in the works
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2012, 01:33:15 PM »
Considering your money goes much further with DIY than buying a commercial speaker(even used),

This [can] be very true providing one knows how to design a speaker. I know it would take a couple years to design a speaker equal to my current reference 'commercial' speaker.
Took me over a year to finish my first pair.  If I would have used something other than Magnesium drivers, I'm sure it would have been much shorter though.   :duh  Now deciding what to build takes the longest.  

If someone is looking for a cheap reference, check this out: http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/2-way-speaker-kits/zaph|audio-za5.2-tm-2-way-pair/  I heard them last year at our local DIY competition, they sounded great for only 2 bills...  

Zaph|Audio ZA5.2 TM 2-Way, Pair

This link will work

Offline Face

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2012, 02:14:05 PM »
Thanks!

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2012, 04:06:23 PM »
People have tried to discourage me saying that you can not DIY a good speaker. I admit it is difficult. I do it for fun and if it happens to sound good then I am proud. I have not built a diy speaker in over 15 years. The drivers and xover parts are better.

My guess is that I should be able to build something decent. Also, I buy the ready built speakers Used because i can not afford a really good speaker new. My next 2 projects are a 2 1/2 way and a 3 way. The mids will be dipoles ala Nola Vipers. Wish me luck!! :D/
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2012, 06:32:32 PM »
Good luck jim. Share your pictures with us!

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Response Audio
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2012, 06:41:11 PM »
Never let others tell you something can't be done. If I listened to people who told me "it's not possible", or "that won't work", we would have multiple award winning preamps.

Go for it. Just remember, without pictures, it never happened.

Design Engineer
Response Audio NY
Custom Vacuum Tube Deaign
www.ResponseAudioNY.com

Offline Face

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2012, 07:52:43 AM »
People have tried to discourage me saying that you can not DIY a good speaker. I admit it is difficult. I do it for fun and if it happens to sound good then I am proud. I have not built a diy speaker in over 15 years. The drivers and xover parts are better.

My guess is that I should be able to build something decent. Also, I buy the ready built speakers Used because i can not afford a really good speaker new. My next 2 projects are a 2 1/2 way and a 3 way. The mids will be dipoles ala Nola Vipers. Wish me luck!! :D/
With the right measuring equipment and software, the learning curve is kind of steep, but it's not really that difficult.

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2012, 09:02:34 AM »
Check this out all you DIY'rs.. Free Speaker Cabinets!!

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=106134.msg1086412;topicseen#new
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Response Audio
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2012, 11:55:52 AM »
These may take a bit longer to start than expected.

We recently received quite a few orders for Purity linestages including an order for an international dealer. These obviously take priority over the speakers.

I have also been tied up since last Tuesday in the hospital with my mom. She has a dissection of the aorta (a long tear in the main artery coming off the heart). A hell of a place to be on Mother's Day.
Design Engineer
Response Audio NY
www.ResponseAudioNY.com

djdube525

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2012, 05:08:34 PM »
I have also been tied up since last Tuesday in the hospital with my mom. She has a dissection of the aorta (a long tear in the main artery coming off the heart). A hell of a place to be on Mother's Day.

Sorry to hear the news... Sending prayers for a uneventful hospital stay, and a quick, speedy recovery.

Dave

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Response Audio
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2012, 06:22:03 PM »
Mom is doing a little better and I needed some R&R so I spent a few evenings working on the cabinets for the first pair. This is the MTM using two 10" high effeciency woofers and Selinium tweeter. Expecting around 97-98dB. F3 looks like it will be around 42Hz. All that's left is to cut the woofer holes.
The cabinets are 13-1/2"W x 14"D x 49"H. The x-overs will be mounted externally until they are finalized and will the be mounted inside the cabinet.
Design Engineer
Response Audio NY
www.ResponseAudioNY.com

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Response Audio
Re: Two custom speaker builds in the works - PICTURES!
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2012, 12:06:50 PM »
Below are a few pictures of the speakers after installing them into the system for the first listen. Not too shabby but there is obviously some tweaking to do now.

Even in the current setup, there is already a good indication of wha is going to be possible in regard to the soundstage.

Design Engineer
Response Audio NY
www.ResponseAudioNY.com

Offline Face

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2012, 12:19:21 PM »
2.5 way?  If not, wouldn't lobing be an issue?

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Response Audio
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2012, 01:10:04 PM »
Hello Face.

They are simple 2-way speakers.
Yes,  in most domestic situations,  lobing would be a problem at times. As I mentioned,  this speaker was built for a specific purpose.....high effeciency for testing noise levels in a system environment.  The listening distance for these speakers is pretty far back which also helps and the crossover point in kept low. They will always be listened to on-axis and from a decent distance (12-15 feet)  

Lobing is a problem with many speakers and not just MTM designs. It can often be apparent in many multi driver speakers that use low crossover slopes allowing multiple drivers to produce the same frequencies.

Long story short,  this effect was taken into account before building the speakers.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 01:23:42 PM by Response Audio »
Design Engineer
Response Audio NY
www.ResponseAudioNY.com

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2012, 01:11:43 PM »
Handsome look Bill! High efficiency!

Glad to hear you Mom is doing better.   :thumb:

Offline Face

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2012, 02:43:44 PM »
Lobing is a problem with many speakers and not just MTM designs. It can often be apparent in many multi driver speakers that use low crossover slopes allowing multiple drivers to produce the same frequencies.
Yes, but a large C-C distance will make it worse.