Author Topic: Lamm LL2 Deluxe Review  (Read 14730 times)

miklorsmith

Lamm LL2 Deluxe Review
« on: April 16, 2008, 09:32:10 AM »
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue36/lamm_ll2.htm

This is the same exact model I have.  It's a supremely nice piece that can occasionally be had for $2,500 - 3k used.  Lately there have been almost none for sale though, no wonder.  It's a stellar piece.

This unit has been out for several years and I don't believe Lamm has changed it one bit.  This is a nice thing for those that buy - you might want to move up the line some day but you don't have to worry about the MK3 or whatever being SO much better.   :D  This baby is resolved but supremely musical, it really lets you relax into the tunes while still sounding extended and precise.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 09:34:43 AM by miklorsmith »

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Lamm LL2 Deluxe Review
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 09:45:00 AM »
Mike, you have consistently raved about this piece for as long as I have been reading your posts, with other gear coming in and out of your system. It must be very special. That $5,000 preamp market is very competitive.

Thanks for the link, that will be a fun read.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 10:28:57 AM »
Sounds like he kind of liked it.;)

The Lamm preamp kind of reminds me of the Decware ZTPre look and feel... very simplistic and quiet.  I'd like to hear it, for sure.

As a sidenote to the review....
One thing that irks me about reviews of non-remoted pre-amps these days is the 'too lazy to get up' comment... It's getting old.  The remote is used to adjust all sorts of stuff on a song-by-song basis and to level-match doing comparisons... and switch inputs to A/B stuff.  In fact, without a remote input selector, you really can't A/B without completely getting out of your listening spot... so, listening for something specific just got a lot harder without a remote.  Ok, enough of my soapboxing...

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

miklorsmith

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 11:03:32 AM »
Yeah, it's a review excuse for sure.  I don't mind the lack of a remote, suffer for art so to speak but if I had one I'd use it ya betcha.

The piece does have a workmanlike aesthetic.  It's not sexy but is very functional and the dual attenuators actually aren't a problem because they're stepped and well-marked.  They also have a very nice, silky feel.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 11:21:24 AM »
I've had 2 memorable non-remoted, dual-volume pot pre's.. An Audible Illusions 2d and the Dec ZTPre.  Softly-stepped and well-marked attenuators would've been appreciated.  With the AI especially, I was always eyeballing it to make sure they were perfectly matched... another 'nervosa'... $5,k is real money, though... and it competes with some mighty fine preamps... most with remotes. ;)  Finding one used sounds like it'd be a real treasure.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

miklorsmith

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 11:41:37 AM »
'tis true.  The remote thing is a big deal for some folks, it's good there's selection in the marketplace. 

There's a 'Goner looking for the Deluxe.  He's had a wanted ad up for two or three months, willing to pay top dollar for a used piece.  So far, no luck.  I've been e-mailing him and he's seriously considering buying new. 

6 months ago, probably 5 or 6 of them were sold in a relatively short period.  Lately, I haven't seen any.  Weird.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 11:48:16 AM by miklorsmith »

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 11:46:25 AM »
This review won't help the used market much, but Lamm will be busy with Backorders. There is a Lamm drive near my house, of course I look at it different than anyone else in the neighborhood. :)

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 11:59:28 AM »
I've always loved the 'elegant industrial' look of their stuff.  Only heard it a couple times but both times it was something special.  Now I just have to get that winning Powerball ticket...

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley