Author Topic: Best improvement to an amplifier  (Read 18948 times)

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Best improvement to an amplifier
« on: April 10, 2008, 11:18:57 AM »
What's the best improvement you've made to your amp?  Turning on the power button?  Spraying it with WD-40, or lifting it with 100 mighty vacuum cleaners to achieve isolation? 

Just curious... The biggest improvement I've made was improving the isolaion of the RCA connectors from the chassis.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Black Sand Cable

Re: Best improvement to an amplifier
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 11:44:38 AM »
What a silly question..... :duh

Adding an after market power cord did it for me!  :rofl:

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 03:15:03 PM »
Changing tubes has made the biggest differences. Sometimes better, sometimes worse.... With my current amps, I like the stock tubes the best. I wish I knew that before trying so many other flavors. Nervosa got me on that one...

Yup the black Sands silver reference Mk V power cables made a nice improvement too. But they hate any filtering.

Herbies dampers on the splitter/gain tube also made a small but noticeable improvement, depending on how microphonic that tube is. Yeah, I swap that one a lot too. Stock is back in there now.   :roll:

I would like to try some form of vibe isolation too, maybe Maple stands, and floor bracing.

Offline Bunky

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 07:20:06 PM »
Replacing the coupling caps in my VK60 with .22uf V-cap teflons  :drool:
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

lonewolfny42

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 10:51:38 PM »

8)....And me too John.....that Silver Reference works great with the Butler amps....

Offline djbnh

• Certifiable
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 02:30:29 AM »
#1) Dedicated circuits.

#2) Walker SST / PC upgrade.

edit: see #1
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 07:14:08 AM by djbnh »
“If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.”   C.S. Lewis

Offline JBryan

• Seeking Help
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 06:14:29 AM »
Adding a dedicated circuit

Offline djbnh

• Certifiable
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 07:12:16 AM »
Adding a dedicated circuit
Man, I completely forgot about the dedicated circuits - that upgrade supercedes what I earlier wrote; I'll have to correct my initial post. Thanks for the reminder, JBryan!  :duh
“If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.”   C.S. Lewis

Bigfish8

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 05:50:47 PM »

"Ditto," so far! 

I replaced the stock PCs supplied with the Mono SEs with Black Sand Silver MKVs.  There was a definite improvement is sound and to be certain I later reinstalled the stock cords.  Lets say they did not stay in long before the Black Sands went back in to stay.   :lol:

Ken

mgalusha

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 04:37:22 PM »
Hmm... I fall into camp of "improvement" meaning to change something inside the amp. :)

Kinda depends on the amp.

I built a pair of Transcendent SC-150 150W push pull tube amps about 5 years ago. One day I swapped out the Auricap coupling caps for some Jensen PIO bypassed with a Sonicap Platinum and also changed the cap in the feedback loop from ceramic to a polystyrene. The difference was shocking (and easy to check since they were mono amps).

Until recently I had a pair of Odyssey Extreme Mono's. I decided to change the power supply design. IMO the improvement was substantial. Again I could compare to stock, so it was easy to verify. For those who are brave, I changed the PS from being just a capacitor filtered design to a C-R-C-R-C. According to the Duncan Amps PSU simulator this reduced the ripple by about 10x (20dB). The resulting amp was subjectively very clean and detailed. I also added some Soncap bypass caps to the input coupling caps and the feedback circuit.

I've tinkered with other amps but those two were the most noticeable improvements.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2008, 07:48:21 AM »
Replacing the coupling caps in my VK60 with .22uf V-cap teflons  :drool:

The V-caps did it for me. Tube rolling as well. A quality powercord is a MUST for any Amp IMO.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

denjo

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 02:42:49 AM »
Buying a new and better amp!!  :rofl:

Seriously, power cords (like John's excellent range of Black Sand cables) and interconnects.

Best Regards
Dennis

ipy

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2008, 02:29:48 AM »
Installing a Oyaide SWO-XXX

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2008, 06:02:34 AM »

Sweet! I bought those for all my gear... Can't wait to hear them in action!
I really enjoy listening to music.

ipy

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2008, 12:42:04 PM »

Sweet! I bought those for all my gear... Can't wait to hear them in action!
Great but they do need some hours (100+) to break in to sound best.  I have recently installed their R1 for my source gear as well.  Planning to compare the two when the R1 breaks in.