Author Topic: AKSA/Ellis Audio RMAF 2007  (Read 15729 times)

Offline Rocket

• Certifiable
AKSA/Ellis Audio RMAF 2007
« on: October 21, 2007, 03:47:05 AM »
Hi Guys,

Of the AN members who attended RMAF 2007 I'm wondering if anyone attended the AKSA/Ellis Audio room and can provide some comments regarding the sound quality from the room.  The Aksa amplifier is quite expensive and would like to obtain comments.

Regards

Rod

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: AKSA/Ellis Audio RMAF 2007
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 06:56:30 AM »
Rod,
I spent some time there... I greatly enjoyed the sound of the Lifeforce and Ellis fed by a Van Alstine DAC.  Finding the right preamp may be a bit of a challenge at this point, though... The Lifeforce seems to like being fed directly best. 

I can't really dissect just the Lifeforce's sound qualities because I had no real frame of reference... New room, amp, speakers, source...etc. Synergistically, it worked together.  If I could say anything about this system vs. others I've heard when I had the 100wN+ is that it seemed to have a bit more 'control'.  The soundstage wasn't as (artificially) wide and the instruments didn't see as big... which is a good thing to me.  It sounded very respectable and was one of the more enjoyable rooms to me.

How's that for vague? ;)  Sorry I can't say more, a new system at a new location isn't the best place for detailed/comparitive evaluations to me...

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 04:15:20 PM »
I liked it, a clean clear sound, dynamics were good. It was very listenable. I was impressed with the speakers too. Wow, very, very good speakers.

That hyper clean clear sound (not sterile) is also embodied in the Moscode amp, with a new version out now, but its not cheap. AKSA is a bargain for its price performance.

Offline Rocket

• Certifiable
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 04:59:12 PM »
Hi Richidoo,

Not sure if I would describe AKSA as a bargain as the new amplifier will retail for about $4250us.  I compared his old aksa 100 nirvana plus to a bel canto evo2 and the aksa amp wasn't as transparent.  Upgrading to his lifeforce modules are also quite costly imo.  I'd rather purchase a second hand pair of nuforce amps for about the same cost of the modules.

Regards

Rod

pmkap

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 07:23:34 PM »
I wasn't at RMAF, but I've had Hugh's new amp, the Soraya (the same that was at RMAF), in my system for the last 2 weeks.  I've gone through AKSA's complete evolution, Aksa 100, N+, Lifeforce and finally the Soraya. All I can say is that In My System - CAT Pre, modded Zhaolu dac, Alon IV speaks, its as good as I've ever heard. Initially, I missed a bit of the bass authority I desired (the Alons generally require 200wpc+), but with the addition of a dedicated $20 Felix diy conditioner built into a Volex cord, my quibbles have evaporated. The amp is simply stunning.
As with any component, one should really hear it in their own system, and much depends on one's own subjective preferences. (I've never found any NuForce my cuppa). Within its power range, I've never heard a sand state amp its equal, and until Hugh comes out with a 200+wpc Soraya, I'm done....

FWIW,
Paul aka Occam

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 04:46:54 PM »
Welcome, Paul! Glad to see you join us. :)

Quick correction... I heard the 'Soraya'... I think the amp said "Lifeforce II" on the faceplate but 'Soraya' is what Hugh and Marty called it... I would say it's got stiff competition playing in the 4,k+ price range.  But I agree that I'd have to hear it directly compared to other gear in my room to make any truly meaningful observations.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 06:52:52 AM »
I wasn't at RMAF, but I've had Hugh's new amp, the Soraya (the same that was at RMAF), in my system for the last 2 weeks.  I've gone through AKSA's complete evolution, Aksa 100, N+, Lifeforce and finally the Soraya. All I can say is that In My System - CAT Pre, modded Zhaolu dac, Alon IV speaks, its as good as I've ever heard. Initially, I missed a bit of the bass authority I desired (the Alons generally require 200wpc+), but with the addition of a dedicated $20 Felix diy conditioner built into a Volex cord, my quibbles have evaporated. The amp is simply stunning.
As with any component, one should really hear it in their own system, and much depends on one's own subjective preferences. (I've never found any NuForce my cuppa). Within its power range, I've never heard a sand state amp its equal, and until Hugh comes out with a 200+wpc Soraya, I'm done....

FWIW,
Paul aka Occam

Hey Paul,
                 Good to see you around these parts. Havn't forgot about the silk dome tweeters for your Alons. Good luck with new amp.

rollo

contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

pmkap

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 11:49:16 AM »
Hey Rollo,

Since the Soraya was slotted in, I don't feel the need to swap the tweets on the Alon IVs.... or biamp with a Crown K on the bass bins. Wtih the Cat Pre driving it (its just that the Soraya demands a pre of similar quality. You know the Cat, heck, it used to be yours 8)), the amp provides me that clean slate I've wanted, and the Cat affords me the opportunity to voice via tube rolling. I'm a very happy camper.
I'll be trying it on a pair of Innnersound electrostat panels, a very punishing load, to see if, as Hugh states, it will drive a nail through a plank. But that control, in my system, is accompanied by resolution, extention and lack of grit. To me, it sounds like a more powerful version of GaryB's tricked out Citation IIs.

As to value, dunno. There are certainly less expensive 100wpc monoblocks available. And the used market opens up the choices. I've yet to hear a switching amp that is near its equal (by my metrics). For my needs, I consider the price very reasonalble. But its all a tradeoff.... does this components working with these other components, justify its price? In all honesty, I should have bought a pair of Bel 1001 MkIV amps 15yrs ago, monoblocked them and would have avoided all this upgrade cost and stress, at least until I had the recent opportunity to hear the Soraya.

FWIW,
Paul

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 02:01:53 PM »
How bout the Ellis 1801b? What are your opinions of that speaker? I was very impressed, surprised even, at how great it sounded. I had not heard anything in that room before, but I thought the music was coming through whole, and the speaker seemed to have no obvious character of its own. I might even build a pair, pretty good value for the money, that's for sure. I liked that they were floorstander height, I think that is a good mod idea.
Rich

Offline Rocket

• Certifiable
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 02:06:55 AM »
Hi Paul,

Thanks for your comments.  To be honest I have been burnt purchasing hifi gear over the net, judged purely on AC recommendations.  My initial reaction to the sound quality eminating thru my unmodified ps audio hca - 2 was very disappointing.

Prior to the hca - 2 I built the aksa 100 and then upgraded it to nirvana plus.  Whilst it was a competent amplifier I prefered the sound of a modified ps audio hca - 2 and my Son of Ampzilla because both had better transparency compared to the Aksa.  I quite like the sound of the nuforce gear but I no longer want to pay for the price of admission and they seem to regularly upgrade their gear.

Any comments regarding the sound of the Ellis 1801b speakers?  I currently use a Nuforce s9 speaker that sounds pretty reasonable.  I contacted SP Tech for a price to upgrade the xovers and tweeter to scanspeak 9300 but at $3500us I thought it was a bit expensive to warrant it.

I wish Hugh all the best and I'm glad he is continuing to improve his products.

Regards

Rod

pmkap

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2007, 09:53:44 PM »
Rod & Rich,

Sorry I can't comment on the Ellis speakers as I wasn't at RMAF. My comments were about the Soraya in my own system.

Regards,
Paul

Offline Rocket

• Certifiable
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2007, 03:28:32 AM »
Hi Paul,

Just to add clarity to my post.  My comments were in reference to the aksa 100 amplifier and obviously not hugh's new amplifier which is a totally different amplifier.

I hope you get many years of enjoyment from it.

Regards

Rod

BillC

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2008, 08:53:39 PM »
While my comments may be somewhat outside the main thread here re amplifier quality, I saw several mentions of the Ellis 1801b's, and have had them in my system for about a year now.  I have found them to be very neutral, clean, and transparent. The Hiquphon OWI tweeter is just extraordinary - very clean, with great microdynamics and nuance.  Also the Seas W18 woofer is a great performer for its size, and kicks out some amazing bass, again, for its size.  Dave Ellis has discontinued the 1801b, to replace it with the 1801c, with an Accuton woofer.  For the money (and even at a higher price), this speaker is a tremendous value. Note: Dave notches down the treble response about 2 dB from flat in his standard configuration, which brings out the mids nicely, but in a very absorptive room one should consider asking him about resistor values with a flatter response. Either way, driver quality and cabinet build quality is tremendous, and the overall sound is very balanced and nuanced.

Bill C