Author Topic: More New Old Stuff  (Read 4052 times)

ik632

More New Old Stuff
« on: January 25, 2009, 05:34:16 PM »
Corrie and I were at the Kids Exchange at the fair grounds and while she was waiting in line for an hour I wandered around and found this gem:

The guy said it didn't work and I offered him $10 for it figuring I could do something with it. After some minor cleaning up and replacing a few blown fuses it seams to work pretty good. It still needs a better cleaning of the switches and to determine why the fuses were blown in the first place.

From what I can tell it's circa 1976.

Here's another closeup.

ik632

Re: More New Old Stuff
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 05:38:57 PM »
I think this was "back in the day" before Technics was it's own company. Pretty cool find if you ask me. I had it hooked up to my test speakers in the garage and it sounded pretty good. I'll hook it up to some better speakers some time this week to see how it sounds.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 06:41:20 AM »
It's SU-7300, about 40W.   Nice haul Nick!! 

http://www.classic-audio.com/technics/SU-7300.html

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 06:44:41 AM »
That is a great find.  If I'd known you'd find electronics at this baby-ganza I would've gone! ;)
It may need new caps since they dry out over time... but I'm not sure.. you'd have to test.. Of course, the fuses could be blown because of the previous user's lack of know-how around electronics.

I'm not sure of the year.. Technics was owned by Matsushita for a long time but that was recent, like 90's.. Was Technics ever its own company?  The 'by Panasonic' leads me to think it could be late 70's but the styling is late 60's so, I have no clue.  I know there was a long lull in mid-fi audio styling from the late 60's to mid-80's.  

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

ik632

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 08:59:22 AM »
Huh, not too shabby. It's XXX-Rare so that means that it's not too common. Pretty cool. I was going to use it in the garage, but maybe it gets to live in the rack with the other old stuff. I wonder what it's actually worth.

I did play around a bit more last night and the switches need a good cleaning. The tape monitor one needs to be jiggled to get it to play on the non-tape inputs. 

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 09:13:27 AM »
Matsushita is the parent company, started around 1920. They make everything, not just electronics. Panasonic is their English trade name, and Technics was the audiophile brand of Panasonic. Different names for the same elephant.

ik632

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 09:25:36 AM »
Well, pretty cool either way. I'll have to finish cleaning it up this week and then give it a good listening to in the living room. I guess my next thing would be to find some more directional speakers than the Bose. The Bose fit the bill for what we need, but they are hard to really hear certain things out of the amp with.