Author Topic: Transcend GG mini-review  (Read 3251 times)

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Transcend GG mini-review
« on: November 14, 2008, 02:17:35 PM »
Rich stopped by today to help me get my bigger audio system going in my main room.  I need to see how everything is going to work to help me plan for next stages in the sound room... Plus, it's nice to hear a good system again. ;)

In doing so, I asked him to bring his 'GG' kit preamp from Transcend (not sure about spelling).  For what he paid, he's got a helluva preamp on his hands.  We first connected my system together (Mac C220 pre, MC402 amp, SB3 w/ uber-ized Scott Nixon Tube DAC, Piega C8 LTD speakers).  I'm using some RCA blackplate tubes in my preamp and we listened to this setup first for a good while... We swapped in the GG on a piece I knew well (Alice in Chains 'Over now', toward the end).. and it had a little less 'open' sound at first listen.  went to lunch and came back... things started opening up...

After a while I liked what the GG was doing.  It was quiet, intimate, and I enjoyed music on it.  In some areas it seemed to perform a little better than my Mac... specifically on tonal texture like wood instrument resonance and that sort of thing.  I can see why Rich would love that aspect.  The only thing that kept it from beating the Mac was overall transparency... And I would wager with a few upgraded parts and better tubes, it would be hard to justify my nearly $3,k pre (based on sound quality). sigh.

Thanks to Rich for the visit and the opportunity to hear this pre.  I hope he does some upgrades to the parts and tubes... I'd be very interested in hearing that!

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Transcend GG mini-review
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 06:25:05 PM »
That was really fun, Carl, your system sounds awesome, as usual. Been far too long since I've heard that kind of synergy. Glad you decided to crank it up even if temporary.

I brought the GG pre to Carls to make sure it really was quiet. We both agreed it was quiet and great sounding preamp on his system.

I will sell the stock pre since it is finished and sounding good, then build it again with primo parts, nice tubes, etc.  ;)  Lots of rumors about how great it sounds after a little hot-rodding. But even in stock form it is a great little preamp.
Rich

miklorsmith

Re: Transcend GG mini-review
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 09:24:24 AM »
Nice!  Maybe you should road tour it.  heh heh.  :)