Author Topic: Early warning...  (Read 5709 times)

shep

Early warning...
« on: November 13, 2008, 01:39:22 AM »
The moment you have all been waiting for is drawing closer! (what's he babbling about now???) so pull your chairs closer to the fire and tales of the weird and wonderful will soon be told. To keep you in thrall, I'll pass around trays of "amuses gueules" (appetisers) and bottles of your favourite mind-altering liquids.
Reading here and there about Ice-module amps, I have been getting enthusiastic about my soon-to-arrive amp. Anyone read about the Wyred amp on 6 Moons? Well what I'm getting is going to be of that ilk. The difference being that it is an integrated, with a passive pot in front and of course M. Mardis magic applied here and there. For those of you coming in late, this will be a special order version of an amp now being sold by AudioMagus, the Aeolus. I started this epic voyage with a modified Trend (the little fellow), which proved to be woefully underpowered for my none-too-efficient Transmission Lines.The result of that was not very happy. When pushed, the Tripath amps shout unpleasantly, so I was looking for more power, more headroom, more everything (and as little expense as possible). According to M. this could well be the end of my neurotic longings. I haven't a clue what an Ice-module based amp sounds like so this will be an adventure in more ways than one. A slight caveat is on order. For those of you with experience with passive front ends, you will know that the options are well-understood and fairly limited. The bottom of the list being your standard (Alps etc.) pot and the top being hand built resistor-based ones. The latter must needs be very carefully assembled and mechanically top notch. The sound will be determined by the quality of the resistors. There are only a handful of names here to chose from; Vishay, Shinko, caddock being the best-known. Mine is Vishay-based. This is not necessarily the "best" (in my experience Shinko is or at least was when last I had the means to hear the dif.), but Vishay is a known very reliable standard. Re-reading the review of the Wyred amps I have a feeling this is going to be a very nice amp indeed and knowing M. Mardis long experience with tweaking; his extensive knowledge of capacitors and their flavours, I have no doubt this rather bizarre and long-running saga will have a happy end. More pizza anyone? It's going to be a long night... :shock:
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 01:41:20 AM by shep »

miklorsmith

Re: Early warning...
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 07:11:30 PM »
Word!  Fire up the teleporter!!  Ice amps are quite nice, by and large - not what comes to mind with the word "digital".

shep

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 11:42:41 PM »
Thanks Mike, I was beginning to think noone was awake around here. The appetisers have gone off and the fire gone out but you get pride of place! (and a front row seat). Hey nice job by the way for 6 Moons.Writing audioreviews must be a bitch. I did one in the form of a short recommendation for my speakers. I had to submit it three times and in the end it sounded really lame! I like 6 moons; very classy presentation and layout. It reminds me of the very posh German audio mags. It's kind of like the modern equivalent of Absolute Sound with the edges smoothed out. Regarding the amp., as far as I can tell from Michael and other sources, there are various clever ways around some of it's known problems. I look forward to attempting to tell you (and the slumbering ones) how it sounds, feels, looks etc.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 05:47:26 AM »
I'm waiting breathlessly shep!  But just wanna make sure you're not out waiting in the malebox for the package again? Stay inside where it's warm...

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 07:51:45 AM »
I'm waiting breathlessly shep!  But just wanna make sure you're not out waiting in the malebox for the package again? Stay inside where it's warm...

Whoa.........what the hell is a malebox:rofl:

On second thought, I don't want to know!  :shock:

miklorsmith

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 07:54:31 AM »
 :rofl:

I look forward to hearing your thoughts Shep, always.

shep

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 08:03:02 AM »
 :rofl: :duh
We're among consenting adults here and there are no old ladies or children under-aged!
You asked, therefore you will be answered; Rich, who is obviously a gent of culture and learning, could speak for me but as I got in first...a MALEBOX is a close cousin to a TEA-SHIRT. If anyone wants to contribute to this deep and powerful excursion into the esoterica of the English language...it might liven things up around here! Since this is about amplification...we are amplifying in the true sense of the word.
(Rich I have indeed decided to go indoors for the winter, while awaiting the damn maleman.)
I will heat up the sandwiches and put the beverages on ice or on fire for those of you who are coming for the fireside chat promised SOON!

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 01:39:55 PM »

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 12:28:56 PM »
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.