Author Topic: Rich's Next Amp!  (Read 16235 times)

miklorsmith

Rich's Next Amp!
« on: September 05, 2008, 07:49:37 AM »
Let's find it!  Parameters - should sound "like tubes", not tubes, 200-ish wpc.  It can't be that hard, can it?

Would a hybrid like a Moscode or Butler fill the bill?  The new Spectron is getting lots of pub as a big watt pusher, might pair up with a great tubed pre quite well.  Have you tried the Signature amps from RWA?  They're not big but they definitely sound bigger than the numbers suggest.

Let's rally up team!

Bigfish8

Re: Rich's Next Amp!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 12:52:31 PM »
Let's find it!  Parameters - should sound "like tubes", not tubes, 200-ish wpc.  It can't be that hard, can it?

Let's rally up team!

Mike:

Rich has listened to and/or auditioned many very fine amps since he purchased the Usher BE-20s.  He loves his Manley Snappers and in all fairness to the Snappers they are very good!  In my humble opinion (and it is not worth a whole lot) the reality is that an amp or amps that meet Rich's criteria will have to be better than the Snappers.  I am certain many amps will meet the objective but the hole left in the wallet create quite a gulp, excuse the expression! 

I don't think anyone in the area owns one of the Spectrons but these amps are obtaining a lot of positive press from their owners.

Ken

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 02:16:56 PM »
Thanks Mike! Since I'm such a slow decider, this topic has been on slow simmer for a while... still chewing on recommendations from last month like Pass, and Spectron.

With my old speakers my current electronics were a good match. As I expected, the Ushers exposed everything and highlights the flaws with no mercy. The bass is insufficient with the Snapper / Minimax combo. I can't find a combination of tubes that brings the pair into synergy. I get either great highs or lows, not at the same time.

The new Transcendent GG pre has great synergy with the Snappers. The positive GG kit experience and its great sound has me thinking about building THE BEAST. At first it seems like the opposite of what I have said I want, but on closer examination and consulting with owners for the past few months, it turns out to be more appealing than I would have expected. It makes 160W with very low .2ohm Zout, incredible for OTL. Tube life is very good because the tubes are run very easy. Maintenance is minimal, just an occasional tweak of the bias knob to null offset DC. Owners report it's not fussy and tubes last for many years. Even idle dissipation is only ~300W, hot but no more than Pass and a lot less than any other powerful OTL. The value is good because it's a kit. It all adds up well and still gives great tube tone, OTL presence, plenty of power and bass control.  I am hoping that the sonic descriptions of it are true and it is all the the Snappers do and more, clear clean spacey, authoritative, good tone.

But I would love to try a spectron, or CIA D500 or something like that to live with for a few months of cool running unlimited power. Honestly I'm a little afraid of any kind of SS. I worry that in the end, only tubes can sound like tubes and I am destined to be tortured with tubes forever. I don't know if this will turn out to be true, but it remains a pessimistic prejudice of mine, so far. The Pass dealer is in SC and his website has not a word about 2 channel audio, nor Pass, iirc.

Retail prices of Pass and Spectron will probably make BEAST next on the list. I'm nervous about Spectron reliability and service. Any opinions about BEAST or its high power tubular ilk?
Thanks!
Rich
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 02:19:51 PM by richidoo »

miklorsmith

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 03:48:44 PM »
I've only done very small tube amps - no help there.   :oops:  The Beast sounds very interesting.  I do quite fancy the idea of OTLs but I don't have enough experience with them for serious comment.

They're probably not big enough, but my Signature 70.2s let the tube magic from the preamps through.  They do space and tone incredibly well with no edge.  I have buddies that are Way Tube (more than me) and they find no objection with my setup.  That makes me think that must be possible to do SS without pollution.  I seriously doubt an ALL SS setup would float my boat but if you stick to the preamp or a hybrid circuit you can get results without pain.  Hey, there's my new workout plan!   :D

I have my doubts about Spectron, the proponents seem to like stuff I don't.  But, they've been at it for quite a while and I haven't heard of reliability issues.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 05:24:06 PM »
Thanks Mike, would love to hear the Signature 70s, they should be OK for my speakers which are 8ohm/90db. I'm sure I'll get the chance eventually.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 06:57:17 PM »
Rich, have you had a chance to listen to a McCormack DNA-500 in your system?   When I replaced my Levinson 331 with one, I was floored by it.  The dynamics and speed were something I had not experienced in my system before.   And the power was a great match for my Aerials.    If interested, I'll see if I can summon the strength to heft mine to the next g2g.   I'd love to hear it compared to a few others in real time.

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 09:34:05 PM »
I second the McCormack DNA-500 and would also look at the Naim NAP-500.

I said this before but the HALO stuff from Parasound would also make my short list.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 05:20:04 AM »
Thanks, I will check them out. Heard DNA at RMAF last year, and Halo at local dealer. I liked them both. It would be good to hear them at home.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 06:13:39 AM »
The BEAST sounds perfect... Especially if it's voiced the same as the preamp you already like.  It looks like a modernized Dynaco to me.  I'm sure there is nothing similar but it conjures that thought with me. (Which is a good thing)  Seems like a pretty creative dude.  Is there anyone in the US that would let you hear one in your system?

The only negative I'll say.. While on the surface it seems like a good value, resale will be a little more difficult.  You basically have to find someone like yourself but is unwilling to build and/or trusts that you built it right.  So, be prepared if it doesn't work out.  You'll get a lot of encouragement to build it but not a lot of buyers when you're done.

Bottom line to me is positive.  For whatever reason the BEAST just seems to make sense for you and your system.  It just 'should' work.  I hope it does.

-C

I really enjoy listening to music.

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 09:37:40 AM »
I have been exchanging emails with a customer of mine over the last few days who is on the hunt for a power cord for his amp. He speaks very highly of it and perhaps it might be another one to add to your list.

I haven't heard it but I must admit that on paper at least, I'm already a fan. I love high wattage, high current designs (think Parasound).

Sim Audio MOON W-8.

http://www.simaudio.com/moonw8.htm

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 09:44:07 AM »
I'd second the SIM in a heartbeat.  I think it's exactly the kind of amp that would be a great match for the Ushers. 

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 10:33:22 AM »
I'd bet that Sim will sound slow with those huge PS caps.  You need lots of little caps to get the goods delivered quickly w/ ss.  (just my opinion)
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 12:15:28 PM »
Bryan gets credit for Pass and Sim, from a month or two ago. ;) Thanks for the reminder though, I couldn't remember Sim even though I read up on it back then. Sim appears to be a pretty good value. http://www.simaudio.com/pr_i-7.htm
http://passlabs.com/pdf/product%20lit/int-150-lit_lres.pdf

Neither will be at RMAF  :(

Beast resale is a good thing to consider. Not as attractive as buying a used amp. Hearing it would be worthwhile to make a decision like that. But I won't find the Pass integrated used either.
Rich

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 08:35:04 AM »
Dartzeel anyone. Expensive yes, but man o man does it sing. Never thought SS could be that good.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Norm

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2008, 05:07:42 PM »
Not the H-Cat?