Author Topic: Butler 2250 Mod sounding good  (Read 7819 times)

Phil

Butler 2250 Mod sounding good
« on: June 29, 2008, 02:41:39 PM »
I've been enjoying the 2250 since October 2005.  Like every other piece of gear I've had, eventually I heard areas that could be improved.  But, and I hope I don't lose my login credentials for this, I thought that perhaps an amp change (at a similar price point) would be nothing more than "different rather than better."

Enter the deep bias mod.  Other than the name (which reminds me of a medical procedure I'd rather not participate in), this mod does what BK Butler suggested:  It produces more clarity and a better soundstage to a significant degree.  The mod package also includes a tube long life mod (given that Butler Audio had previoulsy said that tube life is extremely long, I suppose this ensures the person who inherits the amp will have one less thing to worry about).

Musically, in my system, this means hearing deeper into what a musician is doing and the interplay among musicians.  Lower distortion = more nuance.  The soundstage, which usually doesn't excite me, can be uncanny with some recordings.  Interestingly, I heard a change as soon as I plugged in the amp and hit play.  No warmup - the extra detail was there. 

Subjectively, this sounds like more and cleaner bass (calling Chris) and more realistic sounding highs (especially the topmost part of the piano).  And the midrange on female vocals is more expressive.  Am I starting to stir any audionervosa?  Basically, it seems the amp lets more of the sources qualities through (well, or amplifies them).

Any downside?  BK himself is the only one who does this mod, so his busy schedule means it probably won't get done right away.  My waiting time was one month (excluding shipment to Butler audio).  I would think the wait very much depends upon his travel schedule and other commitments.  Jason, at Butler Audio, is the guy you want to talk to if interested.

I hated waiting but I'm glad I did.  Upgrading gear you love is good, clean fun (unlike that medical procedure  :lol:).

Phil

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Butler 2250 Mod sounding good
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 06:11:05 PM »
Phil,

Thanks for the report!

I just swapped in a Butler 2250 for an ARC VT100mkIII, and I noticed a fairly substantial difference (for the better)...at least with my current speakers.

I've actually had that Butler sitting in the box, for quite some time...I sort of forgot that I had it...until I cleaned out that bedroom  :duh.

This gives me something to think about for the future...maybe when my wallet recovers...from my latest upgrades.

Could you possibly PM me with the approximate cost of said 'tweak'??? I would really appreciate having that information. Thanks!!
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Phil

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 06:45:19 PM »
Stereofool,

PM sent.

Phil

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 07:37:33 PM »

I've actually had that Butler sitting in the box, for quite some time...I sort of forgot that I had it...until I cleaned out that bedroom  :duh.

OMG! How the hell do you forget that you have that amp? I have forgotten a thing or two in my day but a Butler 2250 wouldn't be one of them!

I would encourage anyone who hasn't played around with a Butler to give Shane a holler from www.hometheaterdoc.com and arrange to try one out.....or just buy one!

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 10:09:07 PM »
Stereofool is a stealth audiophile of historic proportions! He has more great gear hidden and forgotten than I will ever have in my whole life. He actually had two 2250s in forgotten storage. My hero!!  He loaned me one and I have enjoyed it last couple weeks. The bass is my favorite part, and Shane Monads might be the scariest bass I have ever heard. Phil's mods sound very appealling to kick the kHz up a notch. I imagine we'll see BK and his wonderous machines at RMAF again this year...

Phil

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 07:28:47 PM »
Since the mod did take a while, I generously offered that Butler Audio could send me monads in place of the 2250.  This offer was not accepted, unfortunately.

Monads were for sale recently on audiogon for about $12,000 and it took all my will power (and the sure knowledge that my wife would leave me) to not buy them.  :duh   Beautiful things.  Talk about audio lust!

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 07:38:10 PM »
A pair of Monads sold on AC recently for a steal, far less than 12k! The buyer flipped them immediately for a nice profit.  :rofl:  I hope to audition them pretty soon.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 07:53:34 PM »
Thanks for the "heads up" Phil..... 8)

I've know about this mod...
I had loaned out one of my Butler's to a fellow Raver, and he alerted me about it. (He spoke with BK)

So...I guess another item on the list for an upgrade...along with the RWA Sig. 30 and Modwright preamp.

Thanks for your comments....... ;)

Chris