Author Topic: What are you listening to right now?  (Read 3027680 times)

eleazar

Re: What are you listening to right now?
« Reply #2565 on: April 17, 2011, 03:01:48 PM »
The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour 

MFSL LP

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #2566 on: April 17, 2011, 06:43:09 PM »
Due to family obligations I was not able to get out of the house yesterday for National Record Store Day, but I went out for some groceries today and had to pass the Crack House on the was to the store, so.........

Pickings were very thin today, very little stock at all to look through, but I was able to pick up this one little gem:

Badfinger: Straight Up
LP

Original Apple pressing in mint, mint shape. The cover even still had the shrink wrap on it.  :D

Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline tmazz

« Reply #2567 on: April 17, 2011, 08:27:12 PM »
Found a few new discs at the library this afternoon.

Vijay Iyer Trio: Historicity

CD

Not bad in the SQ department, but musically not my cup of tea. It is just a bit to free form for my tastes. I prefer jazz that is more rooted in a melodic theme. Not a matter of good or bad, just my personal preference.

But I'm always willing to listen to anything once. You never know what you might find that will strike a chord with you.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #2568 on: April 17, 2011, 10:27:55 PM »
Alison Balsom/Scottish Ensemble: Italian Concertos

Hey Rich, here is one that should be right up your alley. This is a CD of Concertos for various instruments that were all transcribed to be played by the trumpet.

Track listing and samples here:
http://www.amazon.com/Italian-Concertos-Alison-Balsom/dp/B002YH6FQA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1303097263&sr=1-1

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

eleazar

« Reply #2569 on: April 18, 2011, 03:58:37 AM »
Due to family obligations I was not able to get out of the house yesterday for National Record Store Day, but I went out for some groceries today and had to pass the Crack House on the was to the store, so.........

Pickings were very thin today, very little stock at all to look through, but I was able to pick up this one little gem:

LP

Original Apple pressing in mint, mint shape. The cover even still had the shrink wrap on it.  :D

This is a desert island LP for me Tmazz. I listen to it often on my ipod while driving . I don't list it here as people would get tired of me posting it.   :lol:

Offline tmazz

« Reply #2570 on: April 18, 2011, 05:19:12 AM »

LP

Original Apple pressing in mint, mint shape. The cover even still had the shrink wrap on it.  :D

This is a desert island LP for me Tmazz. I listen to it often on my ipod while driving . I don't list it here as people would get tired of me posting it.   :lol:

So you listen to it Day After Day?  :lol:   (Sorry I could'nt help myself.)

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

jsaliga

« Reply #2571 on: April 18, 2011, 05:57:30 AM »

--Jerome

Offline tmazz

« Reply #2572 on: April 18, 2011, 06:00:48 AM »
Britten's Orchestra: Michael Stern/Kansas City Symphony

CD

The SACD version of this disc won Keith Johnson his first Grammy for the 2010's Best Surround Sound Album.

I have the HDCD version and as one would expect from RR, the two-channel version is absolutely top shelf in the SQ department as well. :thumb:

Of interesting note - the conductor on this recording, Michael Stern, is the son of famed violinist Issac Stern. I guess he inherited the family musical genes.  8)

One word of warning - Keith Johnson states that this disc contains the widest dynamic range of anything he has ever recorded, so use some restraint with the volume control the first time through this disc. There are a number of quiet passages that  make one want to juice up the volume, but there are also some monstrous peaks hiding around the corner.  :shock:
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 06:30:39 AM by tmazz »

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #2573 on: April 18, 2011, 06:21:24 AM »
Martin Gribinger: Drums 'N' Chant

CD

OK, this one is just flat out bizarre. Gregorian Chants combine with a percussion combo. Sort of like The Benedictine Monks meet "Bang Baroom and Harp".

But I do have to give it credit for excellent SQ. The recording is very clean and presents a wide and deep soundstage with very good location specificity. Although, one things that did strike me as a bit odd sonically was the fact that the acoustic cues seemed to indicate the two groups (the Monks and the percussionist were in different acoustic spaces. Then I read the liner note and found that not only were the two group recorded separately, but the two recording were done 29 years apart!

However as strange as it is, it somehow has a way of drawing you in musically. I don't know if I would really want to sit through the whole disc end to end, but in same chunks (like one or two cuts at a time it is kind of interesting. And given the sonic qualities of this disc I can see it coming out from time to time for use as a test disc.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #2574 on: April 18, 2011, 06:29:22 AM »
Bach for Breakfast

Another of the Philips discs of themed classical music collections.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

jsaliga

« Reply #2575 on: April 18, 2011, 06:39:44 AM »

This recording came from High Definition Tape Transfers.  It was sourced from a minty original Westminster LP pressing and encoded with FLAC at 24bit/192KHz.  I converted the FLAC files to wav, and then created a DVD-Audio disc using Disc Welder Bronze DVD-A authoring software.

--Jerome

jsaliga

« Reply #2576 on: April 18, 2011, 12:01:47 PM »

This is the first lot to arrive of a string of 95 LPs that I bought last week.  Oh my GOD!  What an incredible recording.  This will very likely be my new favorite Prokofiev 5th Symphony.  Ormandy's reading is both soul stirring and breathtaking, and the sound quality is truly phenomenal.  Every time I buy one of these outstanding vintage Columbia, Decca, London, Westminster, or RCA Victor recordings it serves as a sad reminder that sound recording and engineering had reached the pinnacle of excellence in the 1950s, and everything since then has been on a steady downward slope in quality since then.

The jacket has a little bit of wear but the treasure inside is in perfect condition....and it only cost me a measly $6.00.  :D

--Jerome
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 01:26:32 PM by jsaliga »

eleazar

« Reply #2577 on: April 18, 2011, 01:43:31 PM »
Small Faces

35th Anniversary Edition of their 1st Immeadite LP 2 cd set
In stereo and mono mixes plus bonus tracks
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 01:45:35 PM by eleazar »

jsaliga

« Reply #2578 on: April 18, 2011, 03:27:19 PM »

This Mercury Living Presence LP has a couple of pops and a few light crackles.  But the sound is otherwise fantastic, and it is really hard for me to complain because I only paid $3.00 for it.

--Jerome

eleazar

« Reply #2579 on: April 18, 2011, 04:14:10 PM »
     LP