Author Topic: What are you listening to right now?  (Read 3026667 times)

eleazar

Re: What are you listening to right now?
« Reply #2430 on: April 09, 2011, 06:51:15 AM »
   LP

Tmazz  The Wall Greek LP

The album cover that needs not title information. :D

We must have been doing the Vulcan Mind Meld because as soon as The Wall was over I went strait to the shelf and pulled out Dark Side.  :thumb: (Although I opted for the SACD because it was getting late and I figured (correctly) that I would fall asleep halfway through it and my TT does not have any kind of autolift function on it.)

"Live long and prosper"

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #2431 on: April 09, 2011, 07:03:22 AM »
Just got the SACD of this, will be firing it up once I swap out my ICs for the WyWires to see/hear what difference they make.

The 30th Anniversary SACD is IMHO by far the best digital release of DSOTM to date  I have yet to hear the SACD layer on a good player. I use a Denon universal player as a transport and as such the audio output section is not really too 'High End" in performance. I have yet to find a dual layer SACD where the CD layer played via my DAC did not sound better than the SACD layer player though the audio outputs of the Denon. Given what it would cost me to buy a good high end SACD player and the amount SACD software that is out there, it just never seemed worth it to me to make the investment. I have the ability to play a single layer SACD if I have to and that is all I really feel I need at this time. But I digress....

Even just played at the Red Book CD level I think the SACD is the definitive digital version and well worth owning for the CD layer alone. In the same way I think the 30th Anniversary vinyl release bests any other Dark Side LP I have heard (although I have never heard the MoFi UHQR first hand, but I have been told that it is similar in character to the standard MoFi release.) If you don't have a copy of this latest LP release, get one while you still can. :thumb:

This message brought to you by the Pink Floyd Evangelist Society.  :rofl:
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 07:08:42 AM by tmazz »
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline tmazz

« Reply #2432 on: April 09, 2011, 07:27:48 AM »

LP

The Stress Busters discs don't seem to be doing the job. I think I may have to pull out The Wall and get Comfortably Numb.  :thumb:

Is you LP anything other than the stock Columbia pressing? My son is looking to pick up a vinyl copy of The Wall  and my favorite pressing (the Japanese Sony) has become increasingly rare and as such is out of his price range.  

No, it's just an everyday copy. DDs (crack house) has a MFSL The Wall I think he was asking $200.00
I can't tell you about condition as I never took a peek at it.

I don't remember MoFi ever doing a vinyl release of The Wall (although they did do a gold CD pressing). The only "audiophile" LP release that I remember is the Columbia Half Speed, which is very tough to find and pulls down some big bucks when you do see one.

I was kind of hoping that they would do a 30th Anniversary remastering of The Wall the way they did for DSOTM, but I have not heard anything through the grapevine on it.  :( Just the 30th Annv. concert tour (which was amazing  :thumb:). Perhaps we will see a tour album or video once it is over. (The tour is working its way through Europe right now and wraps up on July 7th.)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 07:41:34 AM by tmazz »

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #2433 on: April 09, 2011, 07:35:25 AM »
My humble city, Columbia, SC is trying mightily to become more arts friendly. Thursday night, it held an "Urban Walk" on Main St and featured about 20 different local bands and musicians along with food, street performers and "open houses" at the local businesses.

One of the best musical performances was a very quiet version of "Wish You Were Here," by a young male tenor/acoustic guitarist accompanied by a cellist.  It was haunting and beautiful...kind of how I imagine Gilmour and Waters would have wanted it to sound if they weren't saddled with having to sound like "Pink Floyd."

eleazar

« Reply #2434 on: April 09, 2011, 07:35:42 AM »

LP

The Stress Busters discs don't seem to be doing the job. I think I may have to pull out The Wall and get Comfortably Numb.  :thumb:

Is you LP anything other than the stock Columbia pressing? My son is looking to pick up a vinyl copy of The Wall  and my favorite pressing (the Japanese Sony) has become increasingly rare and as such is out of his price range.  

No, it's just an everyday copy. DDs (crack house) has a MFSL The Wall I think he was asking $200.00
I can't tell you about condition as I never took a peek at it.

I don't remember MoFi ever doing a vinyl release of The Wall (although they did do a gold CD pressing). The only "audiophile" LP release that I remember is the Columbia Half Speed, which is very tough to find and pulls down some big bucks when you do see one.

Yes your right Tmazz after thinking about it, it was a Columbia half speed  My Bad

eleazar

« Reply #2435 on: April 09, 2011, 07:38:10 AM »
Just got the SACD of this, will be firing it up once I swap out my ICs for the WyWires to see/hear what difference they make.

The 30th Anniversary SACD is IMHO by far the best digital release of DSOTM to date  I have yet to hear the SACD layer on a good player. I use a Denon universal player as a transport and as such the audio output section is not really too 'High End" in performance. I have yet to find a dual layer SACD where the CD layer played via my DAC did not sound better than the SACD layer player though the audio outputs of the Denon. Given what it would cost me to buy a good high end SACD player and the amount SACD software that is out there, it just never seemed worth it to me to make the investment. I have the ability to play a single layer SACD if I have to and that is all I really feel I need at this time. But I digress....

Even just played at the Red Book CD level I think the SACD is the definitive digital version and well worth owning for the CD layer alone. In the same way I think the 30th Anniversary vinyl release bests any other Dark Side LP I have heard (although I have never heard the MoFi UHQR first hand, but I have been told that it is similar in character to the standard MoFi release.) If you don't have a copy of this latest LP release, get one while you still can. :thumb:

This message brought to you by the Pink Floyd Evangelist Society.  :rofl:

That's the one $28.00 downtown will be picking it up to day

Offline tmazz

« Reply #2436 on: April 09, 2011, 07:43:17 AM »

That's the one $28.00 downtown will be picking it up to day

Good move - you will not be disappointed.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #2437 on: April 09, 2011, 07:47:38 AM »
Yes your right Tmazz after thinking about it, it was a Columbia half speed  My Bad

Bummer, I would have like to hear an MFSL LP of The Wall. I was never a big fan of the Columbia Half Speed series. They get big bucks for them on the used market today, basically because of the artists involved, but from a SQ basis I never felt they were up to snuff when compared the the other companies doing audiophile reissues.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #2438 on: April 09, 2011, 07:55:36 AM »

Tmazz  The Wall Greek LP

I have seen quite a few ads for the Greek LP, but have never heard one. Are the sound and/or vinyl quality significantly better than your everyday copy? Put another do you think it is worth going out of our way to find one or would we be just as well off looking for a really good condition domestic Columbia pressing? It is hard to know from just looking at ads what copies are worth more money for sonic reasons vs. what is expensive simply because it is "collectable" for some reason (and may very well sound like cr@p, like picture discs for example.)

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #2439 on: April 09, 2011, 09:06:48 AM »
PINK FLOYD Dark Side Of The Moon HYBRID 5.1 SACD SURRND

Heard it once in background over pancakes and bacon with my son and his buddies. Now to shoosh them out, swap out PC and IC, and crank it.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

jsaliga

« Reply #2440 on: April 09, 2011, 09:48:09 AM »

--Jerome

eleazar

« Reply #2441 on: April 09, 2011, 09:59:25 AM »

Tmazz  The Wall Greek LP

I have seen quite a few ads for the Greek LP, but have never heard one. Are the sound and/or vinyl quality significantly better than your everyday copy? Put another do you think it is worth going out of our way to find one or would we be just as well off looking for a really good condition domestic Columbia pressing? It is hard to know from just looking at ads what copies are worth more money for sonic reasons vs. what is expensive simply because it is "collectable" for some reason (and may very well sound like cr@p, like picture discs for example.)
I've never heard it either. I have only 1 Greek Lp that I can remember and it is "Wake Up...It's Tomorrow" by The Strawberry Alarm Clock
I can't compare it as it is the only copy of this LP I ever owned. I see domestic copies of The Wall all the time for as little as $3 that's what I payed for the copy I was playing last night........Bill

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #2442 on: April 09, 2011, 10:22:08 AM »
The Chopin Ballades & Scherzos [Hybrid SACD]
Frederic Chopin (Composer), Artur Rubinstein (Performer) | Format: Audio CD

Don't have a grand worth of Rubinstein, but have a few goodies.

"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline tmazz

« Reply #2443 on: April 09, 2011, 10:28:55 AM »
I need to get some Chet Baker - "My Funny Valentine" if I can track it down. Never see any of his work at the crack house.

Try eBay.  You aren't going to find cheap original Pacific Jazz or Riverside pressings that are worth putting on your turntable.  But you will probably run into inexpensive OJC reissues that have decent sound.  

If you want high quality pressings then Acoustic Sounds has a 180g reissue of "Chet" on Riverside for $25 that I believe was remastered by Doug Sax.  I have it and think it sounds great.  There are other audiophile reissues of some of Baker's work, on Pure Pleasure Records I belive, but they get pricey at about $35 each.

Jerome I got a good laugh out of this post. We are a strange bunch , aren't we? $1k for the Rubenstein collection was a bargin, but going from $25 to $35 for a Chet Baker LP makes it pricey????

Notice I said "We", because I do the same thing.  I  can't tell you how many times I have made a similar type of comment only the think as soon as I finished  "WTF did I just say?"

We may be crazy, (my wife will second that motion), but at least we're happy inside our own little world.  :rofl:

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

jsaliga

« Reply #2444 on: April 09, 2011, 10:44:39 AM »

--Jerome