Author Topic: Van Cliburn International Competition  (Read 3121 times)

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
Van Cliburn International Competition
« on: June 06, 2022, 04:08:23 PM »
Every 4 years the Van Cliburn Competition is held in Ft. Worth.  I've been before, but this time we got the two day quarter finals package listening to 18 pianist from around the world.  It's a big buck competition with tour and recording contract at stake. 
We got up at 4:30  to drive in to be in our seats at 9:30.  By 4PM we were exhausted.  Don't get me wrong, these are all great pianist, with a few being musical mutants-- but you can listen to Prokofiev and Scriabin for just so many hours of the day.  Today, we left early, skipping 6 sessions.  Half of the audience consisted or old grey haired white guys that were nodding off. That included me.  The original plan was to stay to the end, get on the road, and get back about 1:30 AM.  We'd have never made it.  I've never known listening to be such work. 
But, keep your eyes peeled for Honggi Kim of S. Korea.  DAMN! That kid can play!
I'll go back in 4 years, God willing, but I'll shell out the cash for just the 6 man/woman finals. 
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 04:11:44 PM by S Clark »
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Van Cliburn International Competition
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2022, 04:37:39 PM »
Every 4 years the Van Cliburn Competition is held in Ft. Worth.  I've been before, but this time we got the two day quarter finals package listening to 18 pianist from around the world.  It's a big buck competition with tour and recording contract at stake. 
We got up at 4:30  to drive in to be in our seats at 9:30.  By 4PM we were exhausted.  Don't get me wrong, these are all great pianist, with a few being musical mutants-- but you can listen to Prokofiev and Scriabin for just so many hours of the day.  Today, we left early, skipping 6 sessions.  Half of the audience consisted or old grey haired white guys that were nodding off. That included me.  The original plan was to stay to the end, get on the road, and get back about 1:30 AM.  We'd have never made it.  I've never known listening to be such work. 
But, keep your eyes peeled for Honggi Kim of S. Korea.  DAMN! That kid can play!
I'll go back in 4 years, God willing, but I'll shell out the cash for just the 6 man/woman finals.

Well, it seems like an adventurous and fun trip nonetheless. Maybe the Kim youngster will have a video up on utube soon.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2022, 05:54:02 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2FmX-CBIvI

This is his prelim performance (which I didn't see).  I don't like the selections as well as what I saw today, but you can clearly hear his talent. 
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2022, 09:03:57 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2FmX-CBIvI

This is his prelim performance (which I didn't see).  I don't like the selections as well as what I saw today, but you can clearly hear his talent.

Thanks for the link. It was interesting just to see his focus on being seated comfortably and being ready to start his performance.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline malloy

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • no grave concern for repercussion
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2022, 09:22:47 PM »

Wow! You are lucky. I've only ever read about the competition and of course, heard past performers, but I've never thought of actually going to see the competition live. I thought that this wasn't open to the general public?

But I get what you mean about hearing player after player with Scriabin,etc.  :lol:

Paul

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2022, 08:46:09 PM »
Listening can be work, but it is a great job!

Great that you got to go...  :thumb:
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe