Author Topic: Anybody Learn Anything?  (Read 4156 times)

miklorsmith

Anybody Learn Anything?
« on: March 04, 2008, 08:49:32 AM »
Borrowed (stolen) from another thread - what have you recently learned in your pursuit of your own audio happiness?

Here's my latest - having full EQ over the bass range (and means to implement it), combined with measurement capabilities is an extremely effective solution to bass power, control, and definition. 

I've had a full parametric EQ for bass for a while now.  I was using the stereophile test tones and an SPL meter, with good results.  However, things got a LOT better in one hour with the Room EQ Wizard software.  I was actually able to set response flat in-room, then ponder "what is the best sounding bass curve?"  I read that some studies had been done on this and folks generally preferred a gentle 6 dB rise from about 150 hz to 20 hz so that's what I did.  Folks might be onto something with this one.

Of course, the measurement software alone without implementation capability wouldn't be as easy but still could help tremendously.

It's also amazing how properly integrated bass "fixes" the rest of the spectrum, but that's another story . . .

What have you learned recently on this strange ride?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 08:54:00 AM by miklorsmith »

Black Sand Cable

Re: Anybody Learn Anything?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 10:14:50 AM »
I have recently become a believer in the you can never have to much power way of thinking. I have been playing around with different amps lately and for reasons unknown, the more power they output, the more I enjoy the end result. It doesn't matter if its a small set of bookshelves or a big ass set of towers, the above seems to hold true.

This above isn't anything earth shattering by a long run but I think it's worth mentioning...especially in the age of low powered digital amplifiers.

Another to note is that I'm no longer a die hard believer in bi-wiring. For the longest time I was but with my playing around over the last few weeks I have become somewhat tainted by the whole bi-wire thing. I dont think this classifies as me learning anything new, more of me changing my viewpoint!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 10:32:56 AM by Black Sand Cable »

miklorsmith

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 10:32:30 AM »
Can't say I disagree about the power thing - the bass amp in my rig is a 500 wpc pro unit with a 3,000 damping factor. 

Phil

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 06:10:10 PM »
I have long thought that to get digital to sound right you not only need a well-designed source, you also need to take lots of care of the AC (if you aren't using a battery-powered unit, of course).  So, I started with dedicated lines, "audiophile" outlets, a balanced power unit (equi=tech), power enhancers from Alan Maher. 

That all sounded good but I was shocked to add a Hammond choke to the mix.  Using a IEC liberator cord, the Hammond gets connected at the end of the chain.  Hey, for about $40 it was worth a try.  While I have not listened enough to understand the full effect (I always think settle in time is needed to really assess any change), so far I'm really surprised by the positive results. 

I'm assuming that what I'm hearing (dynamics, soundstage, more "tube sound" - my source is tubed) and not hearing (no noise), is actually the result of all of the above.  But, the jump in enjoyment with the choke is dramatic.  I have no idea why this works.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 02:12:14 PM »
Hi Phil, chokes are gaining popularity with the Felix diy project over on AC. Adept and PS Audio use them to good effect in their conditioners. I would like to try it too.

Phil

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 06:23:25 PM »
Hi Rich,
I assume that using it in within a component has to be better than externally, but this choke is rather large (5 lbs).  I've ordered two 10 lb chokes to use with my amp.

I wonder if effectiveness is greater depends upon the kind of power supply.    At any rate, this is a cost effective tweak that is worth trying IMO.  Balanced power + choke = low noise and high dynamics.  I'm especially enjoying the effect on the HF.  The HF detail is still there but it sounds natural and unforced.

Please let us know how your experiments turn out. 

Offline djbnh

• Certifiable
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 03:18:02 AM »
Borrowed (stolen) from another thread - what have you recently learned in your pursuit of your own audio happiness?

What have you learned recently on this strange ride?
That you can do without major upgrading and have audio happiness. That use of an inexpensive Shoji-type screen will let you keep the door open to / keep the cat out of the audio room, and still allow one to enjoy the music in the dining room and the kitchen.  :lol:
“If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.”   C.S. Lewis

Offline dangerbird

• Certifiable
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 04:00:12 AM »
Not to sound repetitive,, but I've found that you can't go wrong with high power/High Current amplification in your system(solid state).Just my .02 worth.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
A better topic title: What have you learned in this hobby?
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 08:12:03 AM »
I've learned to trust my own judgement, ears, etc. and allow myself to objectively evaluate gear against my own tastes.  That's taken a solid 20 years to happen... And I've had several learning-journeys within those years.

I feel like the room is key.  So much so I bought a house with the requirement that it have a true, dedicated sound room where I could treat it sonically and visually to get as close as possible to my 'perfect listening environment'. 

After that, equipment that's important... The source, amp, preamp, cabling, and power are all equally important to me.  Why have a weak link?  When you can't pinpoint a weak link, you have synergy.  It's easier to spot what I don't like than what I do... because I can pick apart weaknesses whereas the positive reaction is more wholistic... It just 'works'.

Well, that's enough hi-phi-losophy for this Sunday morning.   :-k

P.S. Don't forget to change your clocks an hour forward!
P.P.S. Duet drawing is this afternoon... :)
I really enjoy listening to music.