Author Topic: Speaker Designs  (Read 5002 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Speaker Designs
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2021, 11:59:02 AM »

Si Senor. Have a similar situation. Lucky us.

charles
Oh, yeah.  I've left off a zero in my explanations before!

8)

Not the Christian way.  :lol:

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2021, 12:01:38 PM »
  Liking the Fyne Audio F-12 and F-1o models. My buddy just bought the 300 stand mount. Unreal midrange and top end. Under $500 54db at -3db point. Not a Fyne dealer. www.fyneaudio.com

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2022, 09:48:01 AM »
I like my test speakers, a 2 way design with an inward firing 12" woofer crossed over at ~170hz to a modified full range driver (frd). The woofer I wanted had specs that required a large box, 4.5 cu ft in my case. The overall design provides several advantages.

1. As mentioned in an earlier post, a cohesiveness of the sound from a single driver across the ultra sensitive
midrange frequencies.

2. The crossover, and FR abnormalities which occurs, is away from the most sensitive part of the ear, a very general 2khz to 5khz range.

3. The doppler effect is minimized vs a crossover higher in frequency.

4. The old natural big box bass is simply superior imo. I have never heard a small box design that sounded
right, all the way down to the deepest bass.

Cheers

steve

ps. My speakers are 11 inches wide.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 09:58:16 PM by steve »
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2022, 11:11:11 AM »
  Well I am back to a two way stand mount for now. Prestige 1. New room is only 12x 21.

charles

Offline dflee

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2022, 11:58:47 AM »
I have written earlier about the audio hell I've been in for some time now.
taking the advice of someone (and have to have floor standers) I got a pair of Fyne F502.
The guy also got a pair of F501SP in for me to listen to. Neither had any break in and I went with the 502 due to the amount of air they could put out. I liked the 501SP but felt like it was working harder to produce the sound (even though it was better) than the 502. My previous speakers had a pair of 10s on each side so I was used to and like a room that's literally energized. I tried to like the 502 but after six months and trying everything I could think of to help with the sound took a 500 hit and took em back. Well, in sticking with the same vendor (would lose more money if I didn't), listened to other speakers. Walked out the door with the 501SP for a trial run at home. As they broke in they got better sounding. The Magnesium tweeter got rid of it's brightness and I learned to listen to them differently. Now getting to the subject, I have never had speakers with the driver arrangement like the Fynes and while my older speakers could really fill a room (my version of Grateful Dead) the wall of sound doesn't have nearly the sound separation and detail and depth the 501SP have. I did end up paying quite a bit more than I wanted to but haven't been looking at speaker pricings for over 25 years and hope not to for another 25.

Don
"Enjoy pleasure, not because it is fleeting, but because it exists at all." Sacrament, Clive Barker.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2022, 12:26:01 PM »
I have written earlier about the audio hell I've been in for some time now.
taking the advice of someone (and have to have floor standers) I got a pair of Fyne F502.
The guy also got a pair of F501SP in for me to listen to. Neither had any break in and I went with the 502 due to the amount of air they could put out. I liked the 501SP but felt like it was working harder to produce the sound (even though it was better) than the 502. My previous speakers had a pair of 10s on each side so I was used to and like a room that's literally energized. I tried to like the 502 but after six months and trying everything I could think of to help with the sound took a 500 hit and took em back. Well, in sticking with the same vendor (would lose more money if I didn't), listened to other speakers. Walked out the door with the 501SP for a trial run at home. As they broke in they got better sounding. The Magnesium tweeter got rid of it's brightness and I learned to listen to them differently. Now getting to the subject, I have never had speakers with the driver arrangement like the Fynes and while my older speakers could really fill a room (my version of Grateful Dead) the wall of sound doesn't have nearly the sound separation and detail and depth the 501SP have. I did end up paying quite a bit more than I wanted to but haven't been looking at speaker pricings for over 25 years and hope not to for another 25.

Don
After the circuitous quest you were on trying to find a replacement driver, I'm glad you got one that works for you.

My might want to try moving the speakers around to get a little more boundary reinforcement in the lows.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe