Author Topic: Everything makes a difference...  (Read 497 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Everything makes a difference...
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2021, 10:16:55 AM »
The Hunter has been a standard for evaluation since Danny Richie introduced me to it in the early 2000's. But I just got the vinyl a year or so ago- it's got some sounds that the digital is missing.   I keep acoustic panels behind the speakers full time... 6 inches of Corning 703 covered by a Persian rug.  The diffraction goes up and down. 
And Dave, I knew I was quoting you when I typed it...  :thumb:

That is an album Iíd really enjoy hearing, but I sold my TT and itís in the process of being revived by the new owner in so. California. One of my favorite songs for evaluation is Lights of Lousianne. May have a listen later this evening  :thumb:

No doubt Jennifer Warnes "The Hunter" is a well recorded studio album with great session musicians. It reminds me of a Steely Dan album but with with a female singer... Personally, I'm not a fan of synthesized drums & special effects... Listened to it last night in its entirety (Impex 180g LP).

I like real analogue recordings, like the ones Rudy Van Gelder recorded in his home in NJ... Goosebumps... or a very simple recording using a portable Ampex tube tape recorder like this one... 

They said Sonny Boy had very large feet. You can hear his leather soles slapping the wood stage in an empty night club in Copenhagen in 1963. Also, his "simultaneous" harp playing and singing... does he swallow his harmonica??? Also, someone opens the club door & a bus drives by... Cool!

Cheers,
Pete

Spot on Pete. That door closing can be heard on CD as well.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Mad Scientist, Swiss Cables

Offline Nick B

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2021, 10:42:10 AM »
All of the sequence I went through were things I'd notice before, but it always gets me that moving that leather couch and replacing it with a lower back, cloth stuffed love seat is soooooo noticeable.  Usually I don't bother, but I should.  It's one of those things that gets the stink eye from the wife.  No complaints though.  She lives with huge absorbers and large cylinder corner traps until the book club ladies come to call.
Was reading a comment one day from a fellow audiophile who said he had reflections off leather chair. Covered wit a blanket all gone. Mine is now covered.

charles

Quite surprising to me regarding leather vs cloth couch. Glad my leather couch is in the TV room. Video I donít much care about  :roll:
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 10:45:10 AM by Nick B »
Van Alstine SET 120 Control Amp
Audio Hungary APR 204 preamp
Fritz Carrera 7 BE speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Auralic Aries Mini & Mojo Audio lps
Audio Envy cables
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2021, 09:28:25 PM »
The Hunter has been a standard for evaluation since Danny Richie introduced me to it in the early 2000's. But I just got the vinyl a year or so ago- it's got some sounds that the digital is missing.   I keep acoustic panels behind the speakers full time... 6 inches of Corning 703 covered by a Persian rug.  The diffraction goes up and down. 
And Dave, I knew I was quoting you when I typed it...  :thumb:
A lot of great harp players are circular breathers and can and hum (sing?) at the same time.

There are the Tibetan overtone singers that can produce 2 or 3 distinct tones.
That is an album Iíd really enjoy hearing, but I sold my TT and itís in the process of being revived by the new owner in so. California. One of my favorite songs for evaluation is Lights of Lousianne. May have a listen later this evening  :thumb:

No doubt Jennifer Warnes "The Hunter" is a well recorded studio album with great session musicians. It reminds me of a Steely Dan album but with with a female singer... Personally, I'm not a fan of synthesized drums & special effects... Listened to it last night in its entirety (Impex 180g LP).

I like real analogue recordings, like the ones Rudy Van Gelder recorded in his home in NJ... Goosebumps... or a very simple recording using a portable Ampex tube tape recorder like this one... 

They said Sonny Boy had very large feet. You can hear his leather soles slapping the wood stage in an empty night club in Copenhagen in 1963. Also, his "simultaneous" harp playing and singing... does he swallow his harmonica??? Also, someone opens the club door & a bus drives by... Cool!

Cheers,
Pete

Spot on Pete. That door closing can be heard on CD as well.

charles
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe