Author Topic: SPIDF RCA Cable 100-150 Bucks?  (Read 5461 times)

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
SPIDF RCA Cable 100-150 Bucks?
« on: February 20, 2021, 03:14:41 PM »
I know that smaller brands may offer more bang for the buck- little or no ads, dealer markup, etc..., but I’m hesitant at the same time- anyone can slap the ‘digital’ tag on an RCA cable. Certainly a few less obsessed folks do use any old cable and they work.
I’m currently using this- https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/digital-audio/index.htm , the 1694A cable version.
I’m curious as to what others find to be contenders in the 100-150 dollar range. I had a Black Cat cable that I sold several years ago(you know who you are!), thinking I’d never use one again. Well, here I am.
Funny thing is, I don’t at all dislike the BJC piece. I’m just neurotic.
As I type this, I’m thinking that name brands are not out of the question either. I spent a couple of months auditioning speakers- only to stick with what I’ve got. So a good, no-hassle return policy is a must.
Thoughts appreciated. PM me if that’s better- I know cable threads can be contentious.

Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: SPIDF RCA Cable 100-150 Bucks?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 06:36:34 PM »
PM sent
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Jack

• Certifiable
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021, 06:55:02 PM »
Audio Envy if new or used TWL Spirit 75.
JVC QL-Y7 w/ Denon DL-301 Mk II
Vista Phono II
Jays Audio CDT3 Mk III
Supratek Cabernet
Kinki Studio EX-B7's
Holo Audio May KTE
Auralic Aries G1
Verity Otello
(2) Rythmik F12SE
TWL PC's
Audio Envy IC, PC, SC
Inakustik USB, I2S
PSA Stellar P3
Uberbuss

Offline James Edward

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2021, 01:19:58 PM »
An AN member sent me an Illuminati D60 to try, and it’s a keeper. Funny thing, I had an easier time discerning a difference between the two digital cables than I have with stereo interconnects. I thought I’d really have to strain to imagine/hear any difference.
The D60 added air and detail, with a ‘sweetness’, for lack of a better word, and a more focused image relative to the BJC. And it should- the D60 retails for roughly 20 times as much $$$.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2021, 01:20:07 AM »
An AN member sent me an Illuminati D60 to try, and it’s a keeper. Funny thing, I had an easier time discerning a difference between the two digital cables than I have with stereo interconnects. I thought I’d really have to strain to imagine/hear any difference.
The D60 added air and detail, with a ‘sweetness’, for lack of a better word, and a more focused image relative to the BJC. And it should- the D60 retails for roughly 20 times as much $$$.

That’s good news, Jim (except for the price :) Your description makes it sound like a wonderful cable and those are qualities I value as well. It would be interesting to compare it to my Audio Envy. I kinda regret selling my Audio Sensibility digital.
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline James Edward

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2021, 03:59:23 AM »

That’s good news, Jim (except for the price :) Your description makes it sound like a wonderful cable and those are qualities I value as well. It would be interesting to compare it to my Audio Envy. I kinda regret selling my Audio Sensibility digital.
Nick
Yup- buying it used made all the difference. I’ve read it’s a bear to break in, so a lot of that is out of the way too. Many moons ago I had a system that I was always trying to tame the brightness of. I don’t know that the D60 would have fit in well there, but the synergy here is spot-on.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2021, 10:44:46 AM »
SPDIF can make a huge difference. Must be 75 Ohm to sound its best. I prefer BNC over RCa as RCA is not 75 Ohm. Moot now as I use an Ethernet from transport to DAC. Even better. Some prefer Optical over SPDIF. Gotta try them all.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2021, 03:27:28 PM »
I’m sure there can be significant differences, but I’ve always tried to keep things simple with RCAs only. Nowadays, though, the resolution is so good that I’d consider experimenting in the future.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2021, 11:08:01 AM »
I’m sure there can be significant differences, but I’ve always tried to keep things simple with RCAs only. Nowadays, though, the resolution is so good that I’d consider experimenting in the future.

There are. IMHO one of the most critical cables used. Cannot explain why though.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2021, 05:54:52 AM »
As a reference you might try some RG6 RF cable with type F connectors and the type F to 75ohm RCA connectors. 

Used up to 3GHz and 75 Ohm cable impedance.

Have fun experimenting!

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2021, 08:06:53 AM »
i have an rca cable that's 75 ohms - i know because i measured it.  it's an oldie but goodie - a cheap ($25 when new) rat-shack digital cable that was highly rated by s'phile, who said it was as good as $250 cables. (this is ~25 years ago.)  so, what did i have to lose?  and, on a whim, i measured it, and yup - it's 75 ohms.

doug s.
SPDIF can make a huge difference. Must be 75 Ohm to sound its best. I prefer BNC over RCa as RCA is not 75 Ohm. Moot now as I use an Ethernet from transport to DAC. Even better. Some prefer Optical over SPDIF. Gotta try them all.

charles

Yup. Another killer was Belkin.

charles

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2021, 05:33:41 PM »
who knows, maybe it was belkin.  i doubt radio shack makes its own cables.  it's a tacky bright orange color, but it's a decent cable. i also have glass optical, and some fancy cable w/bnc connector, (i don't remember the brand), and they're all good.  or maybe i'm just deaf?  heh...

doug s.
i have an rca cable that's 75 ohms - i know because i measured it.  it's an oldie but goodie - a cheap ($25 when new) rat-shack digital cable that was highly rated by s'phile, who said it was as good as $250 cables. (this is ~25 years ago.)  so, what did i have to lose?  and, on a whim, i measured it, and yup - it's 75 ohms.

doug s.

charles

Yup. Another killer was Belkin.

charles

You are not Deaf. You are the Frugal Audio Man.  :-P

charles